What's new

"Monk" Season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not returning until August 7th this year:frowning:. Sort of eliminates the point of having summer counterprogramming. I've heard rumors that's its going to run straight though, opposite network programming, rather than coming back in January for the second half of the season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,

If what you've heard is true, would this mean that the DVDs for the seventh season might come out sooner? That would be a bonus in my book. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
"Here's what happened." :D

I think Monk will run straight through, but Psych will still be split in half. Still, kind of a late start, running well into the fall season, and adding more to my plate. At least, I will have time to catch up on Season 7 episodes on DVD, before the premiere.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,

And bravo -- your post was even in black and white -- sort of. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Some very broad overview spoilers:
Sharona will be returning for the episode before the two-part season finale. The last five hours will form one continuing story, presumably dealing with the conspiracy surrounding Trudy's death.
The season begins Friday.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Do we know for sure that it will run straight through rather than being split into two "mini seasons?"

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sorry about the other thread. I did a search and it didn't report anything. That is what I get for trusting in machines. :)

For future reference, what is the best way to find if a thread exists? I did a search for "Monk Season" and it showed some of the older ones, but not season 8. Maybe it is because Monk is in quotes in this thread?

Anyway, sorry about that.

The important thing is Monk is back tomorrow!!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott-S ) but I had to go back like five pages in the search results to find it.

Either way, thanks for the reminder about the season premiere tomorrow!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, thanks for the reminder! I would not have remembered it, I don't think.

Time to get another season set, too. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I really enjoyed tonight's episode. What with all of The Brady Bunch references, I was having a fun time of it. And I loved how Monk solved the case while he was 'dreaming.' Very nice episode all around.

And next week, the Brady Bunch connection continues somewhat, when another of that show's alumni -- Christine Baranski -- guest stars on Psych.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I had a wicked headache tonight, which almost certainly impacted my experience. But tonight's episode felt kind of prefunctory to me, although I did enjoy the running gag about just what an unimaginably huge slut the former child actress was. I'm not sure what to make of next week's episode from the preview.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Did anyone else think that Natalie was 'gone' in the house for quite some time? I was curious where she went to before I heard Monk call out her name repeatedly.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I loved the episode and got a kick out of fun they had with the "child star tell-all book" genre. (Although Maureen McCormack's Brady tome is freshest in everybody's mind, I recall some pretty shocking and salacious stuff from Burt Ward's Batman book, and assorted Partridge Family memoirs.) Elizabeth Perkins seems to have put on a few pounds since I last saw her, but at least most of them landed in the right place.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joe,

Well, The Slumber Caper is our four-year old's favorite episode of The Brady Bunch thus far. She once watched it three straight times, and wanted to watch it again. :)

I actually discovered the bit about Baranski several months ago when I was researching whether Julia-Louise Dreyfus was on an episode of The Brady Bunch.

Edited by Ockeghem - 8/9/2009 at 04:36 pm GMT

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Nitpick: When they were watching the show at Perkin's place, the image filled the entire 16:9 screen and everything appeard in normal proportions. The only way that could happen if the episodes had been remastered in widescreen from the original film a la Hogan's Heroes on UHD. Yet when Natalie and Monk watch the discs on his 4:3 TV, the show also fills the screen and is in normal proportions when it should be letterboxed. Obviously impossible.
First thing that I thought of while watching the ep, while THEY were watching the ep.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Me too. You know you're a HTF geek when the first thing you notice is that they're watching an old TV show in a modified aspect ratio (MAR). Unacceptable!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They've never had a lot of fidelity when it comes to Trudy. One of the parallels of featuring a character frozen in time on a show that lasts eight seasons.

After a lackluster opening, this was one had dramatic heft similar to the earlier episodes. I know Tony Shaloub takes a lot of heat for getting an Emmy nom every year, but he earns it with moments like when Monk realizes that the man's wife has changed. His whole body language changed in a way that was really quite profound. It was also interesting to see an episode with hardly any Natalie in it. We haven't had one of those in a while.

Next week's episode looks like it's back to the lighthearted fare. I do enjoy me some James Brolin, though, so it has that going for it.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
This week's episode is the Monk I like to watch. It's about him, his character, and why he is the way he is. It's not the fumbling bafoon solves crimes gimmick that too many episodes fall into. It was about him, and I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks