1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mickey Rooney has passed away at 93!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by classicmovieguy, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Always gave enjoyable performances even in movies that were not worthy of his talents. Two honorary Oscars, an Emmy, Tony nomination for Sugar Babies (which I was lucky enough to see with him and Ann Miller). The man conquered every area of show business and will be much missed.

Jack K likes this.
  2. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

With Rooney gone, there is no one left from the main cast of MAD WORLD, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers. Now there are only a few of the supporting cast members left.

I tend to like Rooney best when he played bad guys, like BABY FACE NELSON (1958). I wish he'd done more like that. In QUICKSAND (1950), he's very good as an auto mechanic who borrows $20 from the garage's cash register to go on a date and it winds up spiraling out of control. My only complaint is that the film goes easy on him at the end. He's such an unlikeable creep, I wanted to see him get really punished.

I've never seen his starring role in the remake of THE LAST MILE (1959), in which he stars as "Killer" Mears, a role played on Broadway by Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable. Interestingly, Rooney played Tracy's screen character of Thomas Edison as a child in YOUNG TOM EDISON and he played Gable as a child in MANHATTAN MELODRAMA.

I remember liking him a lot in THE COMIC (1969), in which he played a Ben Turpin-like silent comic sidekick to Dick Van Dyke's Buster Keaton-type silent star. It was directed by Carl Reiner.

3. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    One of my favorite performances was his boy becoming a man during wartime in "The Human Comedy". A few scenes with Frank Morgan, playing his boss in a telegraph office, are heart-wrenching.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    I can't imagine there ever being a Hollywood without Mickey Rooney being a part of it in some way. He did movies, he did TV, he did theater, he did animation, and he lived nearly a century.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It is my favorite Rooney film!

Mark Collins likes this.
  6. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Well-Known Member

Mark
    I loved Mickey and so many classics he was in from the golden era. Did he not win an Emmy for a TV movie called Bill? It seemed like it aired in the 80s. I always loved Mickeys movies and really got hooked on Andy Hardy and bought the last of it when it came out last summer.

I had no idea he was the inspiration for Mickey Mouse. Just like Marilyn Monroe for Tinker Bell. Mickey also used to show up on Larry King for the anniversary of Marilyn's death.

Mickey I will miss you.

7. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

(I'll bet Margaret Kerry had no idea Marilyn was the inspiration for Tinker Bell either...) :rolleyes:
    Not to be confused with his scary, despicable 50's-TV comic in Playhouse 90's "The Comedian".
    (Available on Criterion.)

8. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

RIP Mickey.

9. bujaki

bujaki Well-Known Member

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Human Comedy provided Rooney with one of his best roles. It's also an excellent movie.
    But where is The Bold and the Brave (1956) for which he received a Best Supporting Actor nomination? It's been missing for a very long time. Any info on it?

10. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    Here is Mickey with Ann Miller during their "Sugar Babies" days... bringing some MGM fun and glamour to Broadway.

11. classicmovieguy

Byron
    That Marilyn/Tinker Bell story is an urban legend... Margaret Kerry was the live action reference for Tinker Bell and Monroe really had no part in her genesis.

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, that was the TV-film he was honored for. He had received other nominations for other performances ("The Comedian" on Playhouse 90, for instance), but that was his only win.

13. classicmovieguy

Byron
    I'll never forget the story he wrote in his autobiography, detailing his rather torrid affair with Norma Shearer.

14. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Well-Known Member

Anthony
    Norma Shearer! Incredible ..... I'll have to search that one out..
    Gives added impetus to Warners bringing the Mickey/Judy collabs out on Blu ray, which will be fine by me.
    But although for me Judy is the headliner there, I do really want two Mickey Rooney movies in HD, which they deserve .. 'National Velvet' and 'Captains Courageous'. He plays against type in both and is truly triumphant.

15. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    R.I.P., Grouchy-Shopkeeper-With-a-Secret-Heart-of-Gold from Season 7 of Full House.

16. bujaki

bujaki Well-Known Member

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I understand the widow Thalberg was summoned by LB Mayer himself and was told to keep her hands off Andy Hardy. After all, America's favorite juvenile "virgin" was 20 years her junior, and had to remain a virtuous, upright teenager. No hanky panky.
    During his lifetime he had enough time to sow wild oats a-plenty. He had fun; he deserves to rest in peace.

17. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Well-Known Member

Wayne
    Unfortunately it looks like Mickey's money was mismanaged and his estate at the time of his death was worth only $18K.

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    Oy vey. :( Then again, you can't take it with you; might as well spend it!

(What is that, $4 for each of his kids? ;) )

I heard a montage on the radio yesterday of various TV news people announcing that "Andy Rooney" had died. Good grief!

19. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Well-Known Member

Michael Elliott
    Yeah, 80+ years in the business and you're left with $18,000. I was really hoping that wasn't true but.....

20. classicmovieguy

Byron
    He had many wives and several sets of children... I can only imagine the headaches of the various lawyers involved...