What's new

Mickey Rooney has passed away at 93! (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Always gave enjoyable performances even in movies that were not worthy of his talents. Two honorary Oscars, an Emmy, Tony nomination for Sugar Babies (which I was lucky enough to see with him and Ann Miller). The man conquered every area of show business and will be much missed.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Sumnernor said:
Sad to say , many people from Mad World are no longer around! By the way, I've read on the german ARD that Rooneys original name was Joe Yule Jr where he was born in New York 1920.
With Rooney gone, there is no one left from the main cast of MAD WORLD, i.e. the 14 treasure seekers. Now there are only a few of the supporting cast members left.

I tend to like Rooney best when he played bad guys, like BABY FACE NELSON (1958). I wish he'd done more like that. In QUICKSAND (1950), he's very good as an auto mechanic who borrows $20 from the garage's cash register to go on a date and it winds up spiraling out of control. My only complaint is that the film goes easy on him at the end. He's such an unlikeable creep, I wanted to see him get really punished.

I've never seen his starring role in the remake of THE LAST MILE (1959), in which he stars as "Killer" Mears, a role played on Broadway by Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable. Interestingly, Rooney played Tracy's screen character of Thomas Edison as a child in YOUNG TOM EDISON and he played Gable as a child in MANHATTAN MELODRAMA.

I remember liking him a lot in THE COMIC (1969), in which he played a Ben Turpin-like silent comic sidekick to Dick Van Dyke's Buster Keaton-type silent star. It was directed by Carl Reiner.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
One of my favorite performances was his boy becoming a man during wartime in "The Human Comedy". A few scenes with Frank Morgan, playing his boss in a telegraph office, are heart-wrenching.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I can't imagine there ever being a Hollywood without Mickey Rooney being a part of it in some way. He did movies, he did TV, he did theater, he did animation, and he lived nearly a century.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
One of my favorite performances was his boy becoming a man during wartime in "The Human Comedy". A few scenes with Frank Morgan, playing his boss in a telegraph office, are heart-wrenching.
It is my favorite Rooney film!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I loved Mickey and so many classics he was in from the golden era. Did he not win an Emmy for a TV movie called Bill? It seemed like it aired in the 80s. I always loved Mickeys movies and really got hooked on Andy Hardy and bought the last of it when it came out last summer.

I had no idea he was the inspiration for Mickey Mouse. Just like Marilyn Monroe for Tinker Bell. Mickey also used to show up on Larry King for the anniversary of Marilyn's death.

Mickey I will miss you.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Collins said:
I had no idea he was the inspiration for Mickey Mouse. Just like Marilyn Monroe for Tinker Bell.
(I'll bet Margaret Kerry had no idea Marilyn was the inspiration for Tinker Bell either...) :rolleyes:
Vic Pardo said:
I remember liking him a lot in THE COMIC (1969), in which he played a Ben Turpin-like silent comic sidekick to Dick Van Dyke's Buster Keaton-type silent star. It was directed by Carl Reiner.
Not to be confused with his scary, despicable 50's-TV comic in Playhouse 90's "The Comedian".
(Available on Criterion.)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Human Comedy provided Rooney with one of his best roles. It's also an excellent movie.
But where is The Bold and the Brave (1956) for which he received a Best Supporting Actor nomination? It's been missing for a very long time. Any info on it?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Ejanss said:
(I'll bet Margaret Kerry had no idea Marilyn was the inspiration for Tinker Bell either...) :rolleyes:
That Marilyn/Tinker Bell story is an urban legend... Margaret Kerry was the live action reference for Tinker Bell and Monroe really had no part in her genesis.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mark Collins said:
Did he not win an Emmy for a TV movie called Bill? It seemed like it aired in the 80s.
Yes, that was the TV-film he was honored for. He had received other nominations for other performances ("The Comedian" on Playhouse 90, for instance), but that was his only win.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Norma Shearer! Incredible ..... I'll have to search that one out..
Gives added impetus to Warners bringing the Mickey/Judy collabs out on Blu ray, which will be fine by me.
But although for me Judy is the headliner there, I do really want two Mickey Rooney movies in HD, which they deserve .. 'National Velvet' and 'Captains Courageous'. He plays against type in both and is truly triumphant.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
classicmovieguy said:
I'll never forget the story he wrote in his autobiography, detailing his rather torrid affair with Norma Shearer.
I understand the widow Thalberg was summoned by LB Mayer himself and was told to keep her hands off Andy Hardy. After all, America's favorite juvenile "virgin" was 20 years her junior, and had to remain a virtuous, upright teenager. No hanky panky.
During his lifetime he had enough time to sow wild oats a-plenty. He had fun; he deserves to rest in peace.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unfortunately it looks like Mickey's money was mismanaged and his estate at the time of his death was worth only $18K.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oy vey. :( Then again, you can't take it with you; might as well spend it!

(What is that, $4 for each of his kids? ;) )

I heard a montage on the radio yesterday of various TV news people announcing that "Andy Rooney" had died. Good grief!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah, 80+ years in the business and you're left with $18,000. I was really hoping that wasn't true but.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks