What's new

May Criterion Releases (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Not sure where they got it from, but DavisDVD has this tiny image of the Phantom of Liberty cover:

Looks like a companion piece to Discreet Charm...

EDIT: Aha! It was from DVD Empire:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jules and Jim has been delayed until May also, from its March 29th date... :frowning: May now is SO expensive for me...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
*drools at Hoop Dreams cover*

When I read that are some good extra features on here, I couldn't believe that Criterion opted to go with their 'lower' SRP of $29.99. Let's hope that's not a misprint. Even if it is, you can get your cheap pre-orders in now and I'm sure they'll be honored. I'm all over this one for a shade over $21 at DDD. A very fascinating doc. I even know non-sports fans who liked this.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
LOVE the Phantom of Liberty cover. Not that taken with the Hoop Dreams artwork, but both are must buys.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Criterion has an alternate Phantom of Liberty cover:

I like the original better, actually.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

Who came up with the idea of giving that a black background ? It just doesn't look right. I hope they go back to the white background. Makes the DVD look like a companion piece to Discreet Charm (which it sort of is).

-D

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
I don’t usually understand why people get so worked up about DVD covers - I already know beforehand whether or not I’d want to buy the title or not and don’t need an enticing cover to do the trick for me, even for borderline purchases – but, my God, that is one UGLY-looking cover:frowning:!

I hope that, before long, sensible heads prevail and Criterion revert back to their original cover design for THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY (1974) – which is, after all, the same as the one used for the old PAL VHS I have released by Electric Pictures. Hey, I know personally somebody who works at Criterion and whose name is on practically all of their DVD releases I own (we’ve met at last year’s Venice Film Festival); maybe I ought to get him to intervene before it is too late:)!

Incidentally, I don’t know why Criterion decided against using the similarly-styled original design for their DVD cover of Bunuel’s THAT OBSCURE OBJECT OF DESIRE (1977) – the stitched lips - which is, probably, my favorite of the three. It’s well-known, however, that Bunuel himself didn’t think much of these by-now iconic posters and he’s probably down there right now looking up at us poor souls debating this issue and laughing his ass off:)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks