What's new

Blu-ray Review Marty Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
nedinme said:
Right up front: I buy a movie FOR THE MOVIE. The technical aspects of the transfer come second. I am not much for the tech aspects anyway. Aspect ratio, etc. are not what I look for (although "pan and scan" was a disaster!!) I want to see the movie. Granted some movies that have been transferred to Blu-Ray have not lived up to the Blu-Ray quality that the Blu-Ray creators brag about. Some are quite good (i.e. Lawrence of Arabia) and some are horrible. NONE of the transfers will be perfect simply because the movie is being transferred to a different media. I ordered "Marty" when it was first announced. I liked the film and wanted it in my library. I don't have the luxury of waiting until the studios decide to make a perfect transfer to some new future media. I 'm approaching 70 so I want to enjoy the film. When I go to the local IMAX, I go to see a film and not to analyze the film's aspect ratio, etc. I go to a movie to enjoy the story, acting, etc. Considering what a movie costs at your local Cineplex, the cost of the Blu-Ray is a bargain. Just enjoy the film for the story!! ..and that's my "aspect ratio" on "Marty"!! ;)
You can't have it all ways from Sunday, I'm afraid. If it's all about the movie then pan and scan should be just fine as should VHS quality. But there are some who do care about the art of motion pictures - technical aspects are one thing, but seeing something in the ratio that the filmmakers shot in is pretty important. If you went to the local IMAX and they were showing a film incorrectly (so that it was plainly obvious to you) you'd be fine? I just don't think so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
You can't have it all ways from Sunday, I'm afraid. If it's all about the movie then pan and scan should be just fine as should VHS quality. But there are some who do care about the art of motion pictures - technical aspects are one thing, but seeing something in the ratio that the filmmakers shot in is pretty important. If you went to the local IMAX and they were showing a film incorrectly (so that it was plainly obvious to you) you'd be fine? I just don't think so.
Not to defend this release of Marty, but that poster was talking strictly from his own perspective without making reference to others that do care about the art of motion pictures. You or I don't have to agree with his perspective, but he's not asking for our agreement, but just stating his position on this aspect matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks