1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Major Dundee BD Now Available for Pre-order

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard Gallagher, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
  2. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Well-Known Member

Luke J. Chung
    Placed my order 2 hours ago...can hardly wait for April 9th when it ships!!! :dancing-banana-04:

3. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

I am confused. Do I not have the option to see the extended cut with the original Amfitheatrof score as I did on the DVD? Because if I don't then this just became a big fat no sale with me. The replacement score was not something I approved of, and IMO was part of an unfair attempt to blame someone for the film's shortcomings who didn't deserve it (if anyone deserves blame for why the film turned into a mess it wasn't Amfitheatrof's score or the producer, it was Sam Peckinpah and his inability to pay attention to developing a tightly constructed script)

4. moviepas

moviepas Well-Known Member

I ordered but have to wait until April 29 for shipping because I ordered a pre-order CD of How Green was My Valley. So I wait..... cheapest way to go for me.

5. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Premium
    Supporter

John smith
    Great news!

6. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

Bad news for me all around. The long cut with the original score is not included so I have no reason to waste my money on this. I'm sticking with the old DVD which at least knew how to do things properly.

7. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Original theatrical cut on Blu-ray with Amfiftheatrof suits me fine.

Doug.

8. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Well-Known Member

Reed Grele
    That's the version i saw when I was a lad. The new score just doesn't work for me.

While I'd like to have the new Blu-ray include the Amfiftheatrof score as an option for the extended version, I own the DVD that has it... And there are ways to have your cake and eat it too.

Jack P likes this.
  9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    This bluray is not the longer cut?

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Well-Known Member

Peter Apruzzese
    The blu-ray is a 2 disc set that contains both the original theatrical cut and the extended cut (which has a newly composed score that was created in 2004/5)

11. Randal Gist

Randal Gist Active Member

Randal Gist
    I am really looking forward to this, but things being tight, I guess I'll have to wait a while. Although Major Dundee is a big favorite of mine, I am guessing that it will not be an instant sellout. Peckinpah doesn't quite carry the cachet he once did.

I have to say that I am not a fan of the Amfiftheatrof score--it is not terrible (except for that damned twinkle fx and Peckinpah absolutely hated it.) but can be pretty cheesy with the Mitch Miller singers. The Christopher Caliendo score is better than okay (it's not as good as one of the Jerry's --Fielding or Goldsmith--would have done though.) My main problem with the extended edition is the sound mix, especially in the climatic river crossing fight. Lifting out the original score and not having original sound elements reworked/mixed, it is entirely too quiet. The horse hooves,clanging metal, colliding bodies and the like seemed too subdued. Oh well, Major Dundee is a tattered partial masterpiece, so I am glad to have version with as much intact footage as possible.

12. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The Screen Archives website is now saying that the release of Major Dundee has been pushed back a week to April 15.

13. Reggie W

Reggie W Well-Known Member

Gregory Arkadin
    March 22 - New from Twilight Time, MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) on Blu-Ray available for Pre-Order! Shipping April 9th.

Where does it say it has been pushed back?

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    Click the title name and go to the order page.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    "Until the Apache is taken or destroyed"

Just finished watching Major Dundee for the very first time ever this afternoon.
    I chose to watch the theatrical version.

Really liked the film, particularly the final battle in which the cavalry takes on the
    French army across the Rio Grande.

Was nice to see some character actors that I admire including Dub Taylor (Bonnie
    and Clyde) and Slim Pickens (Blazing Saddles) in roles I wish were a bit bigger.

Transfer is absolutely fantastic. I could also say the same for the film's original
    trailer, which is quite unusual, as most studios don't even care to clean those up.

It's always a joy for me to discover these kind of films that I would probably have
    never seen if Twilight Time has not made them available.