What's new

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
FoxyMulder said:
I'm having difficulty getting my head around why Mad Max: Fury Road is considered a hit at the box office yet Terminator: Genisys is called a flop, both cost roughly the same to make but Genisys has made more money at the box office, i understand one has critical praise but on box office alone they are either hit films or not, one cannot be called a flop if it makes more money than the other.

The studios made more money domestically with Mad Max Fury Road. The first weekend of release, the studios recieve a 75% take from the movie theaters and 50% take after that. Mad Max made $45 million it's first weekend and $153 million total domestically.

The boxoffice take for overseas screenings are less. In Europe, the take for the studios is about 40%. In Asian countries, the boxoffice take can be even lower. As low as 25% in China.

Terminator Genisys, on the other hand, only made $89 million domestically. It earned more than Mad Max overseas, but which countries did those sales come from? If it's Europe, where the studios have a 40% box office take, it may be okay. But if it's from the Asian countries, then that may not be enough. Especially if they're only getting 25% from countries like China.

Bottomline, the Warner Bros. studio are happy that Max performed so well domestically, despite being a R-rated film and despite going over-budget.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FoxyMulder said:
I'm having difficulty getting my head around why Mad Max: Fury Road is considered a hit at the box office yet Terminator: Genisys is called a flop, both cost roughly the same to make but Genisys has made more money at the box office, i understand one has critical praise but on box office alone they are either hit films or not, one cannot be called a flop if it makes more money than the other.

Maybe the U.S. releases are skewing that perspective? Terminator Genisys made a little over $89 million in the states, while Mad Max made almost $153 million here. And in the States, before the release of both films, there was an expectation that Mad Max would struggle to make money because of its R rating, new cast and long wait since the last Mad Max movie. By comparison, I think Terminator was expected to do better due to its PG-13 rating, the return of Arnold Schwarzenegger to his signature role, the fact that each of the previous films had been financial successes in the States, and that it had been less time since the last film. I think there's also a perception that Mad Max was less expensive to make and that Terminator was ridiculously expensive to make, although their reported production budgets are about the same.

In other words, some people expected Mad Max to maybe break even but that it would be an uphill climb, while those same people expected Terminator to be a license to print money, and when the actual real world performances turned out different than the predictions, that's when the flop and hit labels started being applied.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
All good points, perhaps studio's will stop making these PG-13 for films like Terminator and make them R again, the funny thing is that Terminator 3 was an R in the USA but was a 12 certificate uncut here in the UK, this latest one is a 15 certificate, ratings are a strange thing sometimes but i bet the reason Terminator 3 was R wasn't because of the violence but was because of a little female nudity, hey guys you can blow someones head off in your movie but don't show too much of that butt. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As much as I enjoyed Fury Road, I'll be shocked if it gets any Oscar nominations outside of the special effects and sound nominations that summer movies get. Not through any fault of the movie but because the Oscars almost never recognize movies like that (even the really good ones).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
As much as I enjoyed Fury Road, I'll be shocked if it gets any Oscar nominations outside of the special effects and sound nominations that summer movies get. Not through any fault of the movie but because the Oscars almost never recognize movies like that (even the really good ones).
They will recognize this one Travis. Count on it. I expect it to lead all films with Oscar noms.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I would like to see Max win some Oscars for editing, costume, cinematography and effects but I don't expect wins for the top awards, nominations would be great though.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I don't think anyone thinks it'll be favored to win Picture or Director, but merely that it definitely should be nominated for both at this point. I certainly wouldn't expect it to win either, though Miller for Director wouldn't be disappointing. Right now even getting nominated for both would be a nice shot-in-the-arm for the often genre prejudiced academy. That would be a big enough win. And with how weak the year has been for the traditional academy films, only that bias will keep it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks