1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low budget HTIB decision (so cliche)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by pk&k, Sep 20, 2013.

1. pk&k

pk&k Member

Tim
    I am between the Yahmaha YHT-497 5.1 system and the Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1 system. I can get both of them for around $300 refurbished, but my question is, which one will provide a better experience? I have a long room, probably 40 feet by 20 feet.

Here are the links,

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379702219&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+7.1

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-497-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2Y4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379703134&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+yht+497

Thanks

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Those are not HTiB. Those are pre-packages. Enormous difference.

Both packages are a toss up. The Yamaha might have a slight advantage in the speakers. The Onkyo in the actual AVR.

3. mccambley

mccambley Well-Known Member

Casey
    What video display are you using? That is a big room and there is no $300 system that will sound good in that room so it really doesn't matter which one you buy. Build a system a few pieces at a time if you can't spend more than$300 at a time. First a receiver then a pair a speakers, next a sub after surrounds.

http://www.accessories4less.com/

4. pk&k

pk&k Member

Tim
    I'm using a LG 42" LCD. It depends on your definition of good...right now I have a Bose Wave radio for sound, so one of these systems would sound more than good to me. I really don't have more than $300 to spend (college student).

5. mccambley

mccambley Well-Known Member

Casey
  6. pk&k

pk&k Member

Tim
    Yes that does look better, unfortunately I only have 5 inches of clearance for the center speaker :(

7. pk&k

pk&k Member

Tim
    Just saw that the Onkyo has separate woofers and tweeters in the center speaker, and has 400 more watts total. Its on sale for $230...whadda think?

8. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    Between these two systems this is what caught my eye.

The Yamaha systems speakers have 2 3/4" drivers (the center also has a separate tweeter) and the subwoofer a 6 1/2" driver while the Onkyo system has 5" drivers in the front and 3 1/2" drivers in the center/surround.

I forgot to add the Onkyo subwoofer has a 10" driver.

Bigger isn't always better but this time it might be.