What's new

LOTR Extended? (1 Viewer)

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator
I want to buy this but I am afraid that they will release a trilogy boxset later on. Anyone know if there will be a trilogy box set with like a four disc set for each movie so there will be maybe 12-13 discs?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Probably, in three or four years. That said, since the current extended release in November has 4-5 discs already, get that and just ignore the box set when it invariably arrives, knowing you'll have an adequate set already.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
You can bet on it. But I wouldn't wait just for a box, considering the extended versions will all be released seperatly.

Also note that it says Extended Version. I think when all the films are out on DVD they will release a Director's Cut of each one. Just to soak up as much $$$ as they can.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I recall that Jackson might want to re-release to video all three films after the last one hits the theaters and make a super-long-mini-series version with all the footage he wanted put back in so that it's a much more complete version of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy unhindered by time constraints.

However, I could be mistaken.

Dan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
You're right. They have said there will be a "Extended Cut Two Towers" and I suppose there'll also be a "Extended Cut ROTK". Alas, they might plan to do something will the trilogy. I hope by that time, we won't have 15 disc, but more like 3 Super-H.DVD.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I remember something along the lines of this too. How I remember what I either read or saw in an interview, was that after all three films have been released to DVD, he may go back and re-edit them together, to form one epic adventure. Goes right along the lines of the mini-series you mentioned. Could you imagine having to go through six dvd's just to see a movie ;P

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well hopefully you would be getting up sometime in that 10 hours anyway :D
I doubt they would come out with a huge stuck together series at the end. Even if they did, it couldn't be all on one disc, or even two disc. So why spend 100 bucks when you could just throw in your SE disc and have the same effect? I may eat my words. Because I said before I wouldn't buy the two editions coming out this year, but I probably will.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Director's Cut of each one.
Jackson says specifically on this FOTR set during the preview of the extended version that he firmly does not believe in "director's cuts". That is what goes to the theater. He just likes DVD and wanted to give fans more stuff, but considers the theatrical version his cut.

I seriously doubt that a "new" version will come out after all 3 are done, but rather just a repackaging of the sets that had already been released. Just seems like PJs attitude about the whole thing.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
If Two Towers has an extended boxed version to match LOTR, I'd expect the two towers to be the obvious bookends. Similarly, with ROTK, the castles from Rohan and Minas Tirith will likely be the bookends.

The marketing in 2004 of the regular ROTK, the extended ROTK, the collector's extended ROTK, and then the three movie sets (in several permutations?) could be staggering.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Hell, if they all are as good as FOTR, I might just as well hand my Visa over to Newline right now. They own me! I will be buying every new set they release.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks