What's new

Looney Tunes Volume 2: Contents Announced (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
That's a fabulous list considering the extensive shorts catalogue.

I see, though, that none of the WWII-era cartoons are in this collection - when WB cartoons were at their brash best. I hope they are considered for the next wave or at least given a special edition not unlike the latest Disney Wave "OTFL" set.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
That's a fabulous list considering the extensive shorts catalogue.

I see, though, that none of the WWII-era cartoons are in this collection - when WB cartoons were at their brash best. I hope they are considered for the next wave or at least given a special edition not unlike the latest Disney Wave "OTFL" set.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
IMO this discussion belongs here rather than in TV, since these are not TV cartoons. Minor point, I guess.

And while there are no WWII-themed cartoons (hopefully they'll have some on the third set), 28 out of the 60 cartoons are from the pre-1948 era, which is a much, much higher percentage than the last set; they also have a couple of black and white cartoons, some of the early musical shorts, Hollywood-themed cartoons -- a good mix. And a couple of the cartoons do have WWII jokes in them (in "Little Red Riding Rabbit" Grandma's not home because she's working the swing shift at Lockheed).

They also seem to be trying a mix of comprehensive character retrospectives and miscellaneous collections. So we get all the Road Runner cartoons from 1952 to 1958 -- the "classic" era of the series. And we get nearly all the Tweety cartoons from 1947 to 1953 ("I Taw a Putty Tat" is missing; perhaps it hasn't been restored yet); also the best era for that series. But mixed in with these selections for completists are grab-bags of Bugs Bunny cartoons and a fourth disc of rarities and one-shots. It's an odd mix but a good one.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
IMO this discussion belongs here rather than in TV, since these are not TV cartoons. Minor point, I guess.

And while there are no WWII-themed cartoons (hopefully they'll have some on the third set), 28 out of the 60 cartoons are from the pre-1948 era, which is a much, much higher percentage than the last set; they also have a couple of black and white cartoons, some of the early musical shorts, Hollywood-themed cartoons -- a good mix. And a couple of the cartoons do have WWII jokes in them (in "Little Red Riding Rabbit" Grandma's not home because she's working the swing shift at Lockheed).

They also seem to be trying a mix of comprehensive character retrospectives and miscellaneous collections. So we get all the Road Runner cartoons from 1952 to 1958 -- the "classic" era of the series. And we get nearly all the Tweety cartoons from 1947 to 1953 ("I Taw a Putty Tat" is missing; perhaps it hasn't been restored yet); also the best era for that series. But mixed in with these selections for completists are grab-bags of Bugs Bunny cartoons and a fourth disc of rarities and one-shots. It's an odd mix but a good one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ah... CORNY CONCERTO. One of the funniest cartoons ever, yet I've only seen it as a color-faded mess on public domain sets. I even owned in on Super 8mm, but it looked crappy there, too. Can't wait to see it restored.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ah... CORNY CONCERTO. One of the funniest cartoons ever, yet I've only seen it as a color-faded mess on public domain sets. I even owned in on Super 8mm, but it looked crappy there, too. Can't wait to see it restored.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I was hoping to see at least one of the Blacque Jacque Shellacque cartoons on this set but I guess I'll have to keep waiting. I was glad to see some of the old Merrie Melodies from back when they were similar to Disney's Silly Symphonies like Katnip Kollege and I Love to Singa.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I was hoping to see at least one of the Blacque Jacque Shellacque cartoons on this set but I guess I'll have to keep waiting. I was glad to see some of the old Merrie Melodies from back when they were similar to Disney's Silly Symphonies like Katnip Kollege and I Love to Singa.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm probably even more excited for this set than for the first set considering Road Runner's my favorite character! :)

Adam

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm probably even more excited for this set than for the first set considering Road Runner's my favorite character! :)

Adam

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Coolness! Curious that tvshowsondvd.com would break this news, seeing as these theatrical shorts are not TV shows. But the news is welcome, regardless of the source!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Coolness! Curious that tvshowsondvd.com would break this news, seeing as these theatrical shorts are not TV shows. But the news is welcome, regardless of the source!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, a whole bunch of Roadrunner/Wile E. cartoons make this a must for me. I was extremely disappointed that there was only one in the first set.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, a whole bunch of Roadrunner/Wile E. cartoons make this a must for me. I was extremely disappointed that there was only one in the first set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks