What's new

Looks like MGM does another great job..."Terminator: Special Edition" review (1 Viewer)

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, this and Killer Klowns gives me hope for Buckaroo Banzai next year. :)
------------------
"Wow, what a dramatic airport!"

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Real burned in subtitles and original mono soundtrack included...
Are we sure it's really MGM?
-dave
wink.gif

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
This is refreshing news.
It's amazing how Warner is going to shit and MGM is coming up smelling like roses.
One definate buy from MGM.
Two definate lost sales to Warner.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
If I read the review correctly MGM now really have English subtitles again after like a two years hiatus. Wonderfull!! Thank you!
Ron Birk

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Aw, jeez...and here I am, out of work, penniless, a poor pathetic wretch of a man. Terminator is one of my favorite films (I like it better than the sequel, too, though the sequel is awesome). The only consolation I can take in this news is that the special edition is being released on my birthday. There is hope.
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Im glad that I held off from buying the original release, as this is one of my all time favorite films. Truly looking forward to this release!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I never thought I'd see the day where MGM gets praised and Warners gets tar and feathered.
It goes to show that companies can change for the better (and unfortunately worse). Thankfully most have improved substantially with their DVD releases (ie. Fox and Disney).
Hopefully MGM will keep it up, and Warner's latest fumblings will be isolated occurances.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
You know there was a time that MGM bugged me. We were all angry with their "cheap" releases of great films, like Escape from NY.
But then someone smarter than me (who works for one of our HTF sponsers) pointed out that smart thinking on MGMs part with regards to the cheaper releases. That was that they could get lots of their films out to market for those that just wanted them available. Then they could go back and take the time, case by case, to do nice SEs and new transfers as the time and money came to them to do so.
That way you don't wait 5 years for something (like BTTF, Star Wars), but the great films still get a nice treatment.
And even with the Bond problems, they had at least put lots of effort into the DVDs (and took the time to try and do fixes for the many small errors).
Some of it annoyed us, but looking back now it actually looks as though they have just been working on a different model than what we expected. They are doing a VHS/LD model for DVD. Lots of VHS-type DVD releases, supplemented with fewer deluxe LD-type DVD releases for their better films.
They're earning my respect lately and I look forward to seeing an eventual SE of Escape from NY along with some other revisits.
Plus, we all know they were hurting for cash so it's quite likely that some of the "mass" sales on the cheap releases were also to help generate some operating cash. I doubt they could afford to be only a specialty company like some of the bigger competition.
Also, at least the sell the cheap stuff at the lower price point of $15. I can handle getting what I pay for if the company is up front about it.

MGM have really come on in leaps and bounds this year, and very recently they have produced some dvds which are definately amongst my favourite allrounders
eg Hannibal
Platoon SE
...and we have great specials of....
Killer Klowns
Dressed To Kill
Carrie
Princess Bride
Terminator
i think its time to lay off with the "mgm is the worst at dvd" time comments now.... i'd say Universal are worse now with their shit double dip thing, and Warners p&s debacle!!!!!
Well done MGM.

DannyS

Second Unit
I'm in the UK and I'm very, VERY annoyed with this. Why on earth are we being given Discs that aren't completely finished. I don't think it's fair at all.
MGM: Hey, Van.. Terminator finished yet?
VAN: Er.. Not exactly, there are a few finishing touches to be done and I'm hoping to get Cameron to add a few words here and there.
MGM: OK, Hmm, look... It's seems ready, and The UK are always complaining that they have to wait all the time.. We'll release it now.
VAN: What, but it's not finished!
MGM: SO, the film is on there and there are extras, look, we'll even put it in a big cardboard box and spread it over 2 discs to make it look like there's much more. Nobody'll notice!
VAN: But what about...
MGM Look, we'll wait for the US version, we're just trying to shut these goddam limeys up!
VAN: Cool...
-------------------------------------------------------
MGM sucks for doing this. NOT FAIR :-(
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)
[Edited last by DannyS on August 18, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hey Danny, I understand your frustration! And that's exactly why I have a modified DVD player and haven't bought the disc yet...
But I certainly will buy this new R1 disc, it looks so damn cool, and I love the fact that it's a DVD-14...
Still, it's a bloody shame that MGM screwed up the R2 version with the intro crawl and omitting the original soundtrack...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Impossible as I find it to ever buy a movie on PAL R2, Terminator SE was a very tempting release, but something deep within me sense that the R1 would be better, it's just the way of things.
There's many examples of this same kind of situation where for a brief period, R2 owners can boast about a superior release only for it to be crushed later on with an even better R1 release. R2 gets a 16x9 Bugs Life over the US, but then R1 gets a 2 disc 16x9 Bugs Life SE shortly after. Lot of R2 owners boasted about their 16x9 X-Files movie and the Die Hards, Fox return to all these and more on R1 and better them in every single way. I could go on, I just find the rare occasions where R2 comes out tops to be short lived, so I constantly side with US discs.
Dan (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks