What's new

Looking for some good wire-fu dvds (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
What are some good wire-fu movies available on DVD? I just watched Iron Monkey and loved it, Crouching Tiger is great too. What other movies am I missing?

Chris

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Chris -
While the may not be strictly considered "wire fu", they are all worth watching if you enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Iron Monkey.

Fong Sai Yuk
Fong Sai Yuk II
Tai Chi master
The Storm Riders
Bride With White Hair
Wing Chun

Matt

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Cool. Netflix had Storm Riders and Bride with White Hair 1 and 2. I'll get those after I get the Once Upon a Time in China series.

Chris

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Bride With White Hair II isn't as good as the first one but it's ok.
Once Upon a Time in China is a great series! The first and second are excellent.

Matt

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Iron Monkey was one of my favourites.

Note that there is also a movie with the same title but it was made a few years earlier with a different plot. It is really good too.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Hong Kong Legends @ Link Removed do a very good line of HK action flicks ranging from Wire Fu to the 'Gun Ballet' favoured by Woo et al and back to classic traditional Kung Fu as in the all time great 'Project A' (Actually the collectors edition of Project A in particular is excellent, although more input actually from Jackie would have been nice.)

Titles to look out for if you like the sword and sorcery, flying fu type films include 'New Dragon gate Inn' and (a really early one) 'Zu Warriors'. You'll never look at eyebrows the same way! :D

The standard of the DVD's from HKL is in my experience pretty good, some have interesting and occasionally insightful commentaries from Bey Logan and whilst he does occasionally wander a little from the point he usually has some worthwhile tidbits to share.

Like I said, Project A is an excellent example of why Jackie Chan is such a star today, it may not be wire Fu but it's plenty exciting!

I believe they ship World Wide.

(I dont work for HKL or anything in case you're wondering, but I do have a hefty whack of their DVD catalogue. ;) )

JeffPh

Agent
Okay...so what is "wire-fu".I need some enlightenment.

I really liked both Iron Monkey and CTHD...they took me back to my youth and USA's Kung-Fu Theater on Sundays.

Are there any other terms regarding Kung-Fu movies that may help me distinguish the various types?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Okay...so what is "wire-fu".I need some enlightenment.

I really liked both Iron Monkey and CTHD...they took me back to my youth and USA's Kung-Fu Theater on Sundays.
Wire-fu would basically refer to movies like the ones you mentioned, where the characters perform moves that are truly beyond a human's ability to do naturally. The actors in those movies fly through the air with the aid of wires, so people have taken to calling martial arts films like that "wire-fu".

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Heroic Trio 2 : The Executioners...it plays like a Marvel comics mini-series from the eigthies and stars three hot asian babes..Maggie Cheung...Michelle Yeoh...Anita Mui.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Thanks all, some great choices here. The "heroic trio" sounds like a kung-fu Charlie's Angels. Michelle Yeoh was good in Crouching Tiger, these should be good too.

JeffPH- The Matrix movies were also done with wires, and I believe the current Power Rangers (Ninja Storm) is being done with alot of wire work.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks