Looking for some good wire-fu dvds

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris_Morris, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

What are some good wire-fu movies available on DVD? I just watched Iron Monkey and loved it, Crouching Tiger is great too. What other movies am I missing?

Chris

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Chris -
    While the may not be strictly considered "wire fu", they are all worth watching if you enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Iron Monkey.

Fong Sai Yuk
    Fong Sai Yuk II
    Tai Chi master
    The Storm Riders
    Bride With White Hair
    Wing Chun

Matt

3. Chris_Morris

Cool. Netflix had Storm Riders and Bride with White Hair 1 and 2. I'll get those after I get the Once Upon a Time in China series.

Chris

4. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Bride With White Hair II isn't as good as the first one but it's ok.
    Once Upon a Time in China is a great series! The first and second are excellent.

Matt

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Iron Monkey was one of my favourites.

Note that there is also a movie with the same title but it was made a few years earlier with a different plot. It is really good too.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Also rent Swordsman 2, Netflix has it.

7. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

Hong Kong Legends @ http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk do a very good line of HK action flicks ranging from Wire Fu to the 'Gun Ballet' favoured by Woo et al and back to classic traditional Kung Fu as in the all time great 'Project A' (Actually the collectors edition of Project A in particular is excellent, although more input actually from Jackie would have been nice.)

Titles to look out for if you like the sword and sorcery, flying fu type films include 'New Dragon gate Inn' and (a really early one) 'Zu Warriors'. You'll never look at eyebrows the same way! [​IMG]

The standard of the DVD's from HKL is in my experience pretty good, some have interesting and occasionally insightful commentaries from Bey Logan and whilst he does occasionally wander a little from the point he usually has some worthwhile tidbits to share.

Like I said, Project A is an excellent example of why Jackie Chan is such a star today, it may not be wire Fu but it's plenty exciting!

I believe they ship World Wide.

(I dont work for HKL or anything in case you're wondering, but I do have a hefty whack of their DVD catalogue. [​IMG] )

8. JeffPh

JeffPh Agent

Okay...so what is "wire-fu".I need some enlightenment.

I really liked both Iron Monkey and CTHD...they took me back to my youth and USA's Kung-Fu Theater on Sundays.

Are there any other terms regarding Kung-Fu movies that may help me distinguish the various types?

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

Swordsman 2 is a great film, as well as Fong Sai Yuk. (Fong Sai Yuk 2 is a required sequel)

11. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

How about "Bichunmoo" (2000) from South Korea? That ain't bad if you like wire-fu.

12. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist
    Supporter

Paul
    Heroic Trio 2 : The Executioners...it plays like a Marvel comics mini-series from the eigthies and stars three hot asian babes..Maggie Cheung...Michelle Yeoh...Anita Mui.

13. Chris_Morris

Thanks all, some great choices here. The "heroic trio" sounds like a kung-fu Charlie's Angels. Michelle Yeoh was good in Crouching Tiger, these should be good too.

JeffPH- The Matrix movies were also done with wires, and I believe the current Power Rangers (Ninja Storm) is being done with alot of wire work.

Chris

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The recent Jet Li 'Hero' is very good. There are legit R0 releases available on DVD.