1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Like a VCR, but HTDV with a harddrive?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JasonGabler, Jan 20, 2009.

1. JasonGabler

JasonGabler Member

For a long time I've been looking for something that works just like an good ol' VCR, but receives DTV, even HDTV, and doesn't save to VHS but to a harddrive (internal is OK, but external would be great.) You set the channel and the time, and voila! it records.

It seem no one makes something like this. I found things that come close, like various satellite receivers or the Phillips settop which is also a DVD-R, but then uses garbage for an ATSC tuner.

Anyone have any suggestions? Have I missed something or is there a good reason why no one makes this? I'm done overpaying for television, and my home has had a happy renaissance in OTA TV since DTV broadcasts began. I just want a simple recording settop box to feed my simple needs [​IMG]

thanks,

Jason

2. SethH

SethH Well-Known Member

Are you willing to use your computer?

3. Brian^K

Brian^K Well-Known Member

This is actually a very common inquiry on forums like this. A few years ago, there were a few products like that, but consumers were unwilling to pay enough for them to make offering them worthwhile to manufacturers, so they have been discontinued. I don't think anything has changed in that regard: The expectation on the part of consumers for how much such a product should cost is still significantly below what is needed to foster a market for such a product. Currently, unless you're willing to use your computer, with a tuner card, then the options available in the market (TiVo HD and Moxi HD DVR) are going to run $700-$800, with lifetime service on each (and for the TiVo, you will need to connect it to the Internet to keep it active).

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

TivoHD can be had for ~$600 if you get a refurb.

But if OTA only is acceptable, the new Dish DTVPal at ~$250 is the most economical.

5. Brian^K

Brian^K Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry -- forgot about the DTVPal DVR for OTA only. And to be complete, the Moxi DVR does not support OTA.

6. Hank_P

Hank_P Well-Known Member

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

DVD-R/HDD products like that Magnavox only record in SD though, not HD like the DTVPal DVR. They are also limited to recording one show at a time rather than two.