What's new

lawn mowers (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
Not right off hand. It has the small wheels on back ( I don't think they make a rear drive with big wheels). There are a couple models, one with electric start, which mine isn't. I think I paid $259.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I paid $259.
The least expensive Personal Pace Model is the 20017 Recycler and it costs $359 at Home Depot. I wanted to include a link to it, but when ever I copy and past the url for it, it goes to a search results screen, not directly to the mower.

I found a Toro 18in Stright Shaft gas powered bruch cutter that also comes with the trimmer attachment. It's attachment capable and apparently uses 2-cycle engine oil. It costs $199 at Home Depot.

According to the Home Depot site, straight shaft trimmers will last longer.

mylan

Screenwriter
Mowers went up then, I got mine year before last. Yes, my trimmer is straight shaft, again due to my height (6'2"), I don't have to slump over it and the not mixing gas/oil is a big plus. It runs cleaner and quieter.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Find a lawn mower repair man and buy a used mower. A lot of old mowers were built to last forever (all cast parts and steel, self propelled, inexpensive, etc.). The only downside is the lack of safety features (when compared to current models) but you should already know not to stick you hand into the moving blades :).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Late last year I got an electric to replace my reel mower
:eek: There goes the polar caps... (Welcome to the dark side)
I bought a used mower for $60 from a friend's neighbor. It's adequate. I then mowed a large rock and sheared a cotter pin. It's now a $100 mower :b
My favorite choice for new was the Toro Personal Pace. Very nice mowers.
I bought an electric Black & Decker trimmer for about $50 at Home Depot. It seemed a good compromise -- good ratings in Consumer Reports while not being too expensive.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
i bought a Craftsman from Sears last year and hated the thing. Basically the thing clogged constantly; I had to stop every few minutes to clean the chute out. In the end the little cover over the side discharge hole popped off as I brushed against the house and I spent 45m trying to get it back on... I nearly threw the mower across the yard. Instead I dug out the reciept and discovered the return policy expired in two days. whew! I loaded it in the trunk and took it back.

After much research and debating between the Honda HRX and the Toro SR4 I settled on the Toro. I really like the features of the HRX but the price put me off. Then the Toro not only went on sale at the local ACE hardware, but Toro also had a $40 rebate going so it was a done deal. I was very pleased with this mower. Easy to push with their Personal Pace system (I had my doubts about this but it really takes all the strain out of pushing a mower), and it never clogged on me for the rest of the summer.

I want to say that when the bag got full the front end got lighter and this had uneven contact but I might be confusing this with the Craftsman, which I used most of the summer so I could be wrong with how much of an issue it really was.

I would say if you had a large yard then pay the extra and get the Honda. But if you're average size go with the Toro.

-paul

mylan

Screenwriter
In my experience, there is not a grass catcher out there big enough to go more than a couple passes without needing emptying. I usually cover the chute and just mulch most of the time. I have Zoysia sod and it doesn't grow tall anyway.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After much research and debating between the Honda HRX and the Toro SR4 I settled on the Toro. I really like the features of the HRX but the price put me off. Then the Toro not only went on sale at the local ACE hardware, but Toro also had a $40 rebate going so it was a done deal. I was very pleased with this mower. Easy to push with their Personal Pace system
The Super Recycler is their top-of-the-line. They do have Recycler line of which one (the 20041) was named a CR Best Buy. I couldn't find that model anymore, but CR says they 20017 is similar and Home Depot sells it for $359.

Does anyone use a line trimmer for edging? Gas or electric? I'm looking for ideas on those too.

BTW, we've got a big yard, pretty flat though.

mylan

Screenwriter
Like I stated earlier, my gas Toro multi tool seemed to bog down too much when using the edger attachment. I used the string trimmer attachment and it worked passably well but it does eat up string pretty quickly. Either way you go, for a large yard, I would go gas. i hate winding up the cord when I'm done or realizing I need five more feet.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We have a Black and Decker Grass Hog trimmer.

I'm not saying this as a recommendation as our needs are probably different; just providing info. We live in a new build house and have not done any landscaping yet. But I needed a trimmer to get at areas the mower couldn't reach -- like around our fence posts and corners around the deck.

We had one that was left at the old house both when we bought it and when we moved out. It was a cheapie electric and I hated using the thing. I picked this one up because it was sturdy, felt comfortable when I held it, and was rechargable. You can also rotate the handle so you can easily trim the edge of the grass along the sidewalk - there's even a little guide bar to run along the edge of the concrete. I'm satisfied.

-paul

mylan

Screenwriter
I used a neighbor's Black and Decker Edge Hog and really liked it, all but the cord. I may get a gas edger before the season.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Paul, that rechargable B&D Grass Hog, how long will it run on one charge? Does it seem sturdy? What was the price, if you don't mind my asking?

I just checked out Consumer Reports and they say the rechargables only run 15-20 minutes before needing a recharge. Also, most models have the motor at the bottom of the shaft which makes them difficult to handle.

CR also says most gasoline trimmers have a 2-stroke engine requiring a mixture of gas and oil.

mylan

Screenwriter
The Toro (sorry, no model #) is a four stroke engine, which is gas only. It runs cleaner and quieter and starts easier.

mylan

Screenwriter
I do but in an earlier post I stated that it was the one attachment that didn't work properly. It seemed to lug the engine. I don't know, I might give it another chance.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I do but in an earlier post I stated that it was the one attachment that didn't work properly. It seemed to lug the engine.
If you had it to do over again, would you still buy the Toro? When you just use the string trimmer as an edger are you happy with it?

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, I would. I works great as a trimmer, brush cutter (even small trees!), blower, and hedge trimmer. It does enough that the fact that it stumbles with the edging part is something i'm willing to forgive. I would still prefer the edger but for touchups the trimmer is fine. It is hard to get a straight edge with it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks