What's new

Last Resort (ABC) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Quentin /t/323710/last-resort-abc-season-1-thread/30#post_3993461
Fun episode, I guess. I enjoyed the sub stuff.
I am wondering about two things:
First, why the meetings with the SoD? Why do the Capt. and/or ANY member of that crew think that there can be a 'going home' that doesn't involve them dying in some way? Any government willing to shoot its own sub to cover up a covert attack on Pakistan is willing to clean up any way necessary. The truth only comes out with a public display and no one currently in power would allow that. So, I find it weird no one has even THOUGHT this.
Second, are we going to get a sea fight every couple weeks that they narrowly escape from and then threaten to launch the nukes to get their foe to back off? There are two problems with this: first, they will soon run out of torpedoes. In fact, if I were the US Navy, I'd keep fighting them and get them to expend torpedoes until they're ll gone and then kill them. But, story wise it is the problem of how do they raise the stakes beyond what the pilot gave us? I hope they figure out a new way...

In the end, this thing only really works if someone defects and joins them, or if another nation makes a play that puts everything off balance. They really need to think about a way to turn this into a more... "RISK" oriented way of thinking about the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
In the end, this thing only really works if someone defects and joins them, or if another nation makes a play that puts everything off balance.   They really need to think about a way to turn this into a more... "RISK" oriented way of thinking about the show.
As the admiral told the captain, the whole geopolitical scene is balanced on the head of a pin at the moment. If Marcus can't get his public trial, he'll use the soap box that his little island station represents to keep asking uncomfortable questions. His gambit is that they can outlast the administration, and get the truth out before the eyes of the world.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a Last Resort season pass, but haven't started watching. I'd assumed it would be terrible, but EW put it on their Must List for the pilot. I've heard nothing since...and this thread is not especially positive. And my wife has asked if we should keep recording it. (We do watch Revolution.)
So: should I keep Last Resort for when we've got time to catch up? Or skip it, and look for something else for when other shows slow down over the holidays?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So far it's been interesting, but this last weeks ep was pretty terrible. I think they are running into story idea problems. This is what I had wondered when i said "how long could this kind of show really go?"

This week ..

In a weird chemical strike that caused people to act looney, race around, pretend fake in love rotated between action and cuts from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Tabula Rosa" S6 ep). As people danced with people not really there, had funny dialog and ran around in swim vision. I struggled to get through it.

The rest of the season has been interesting, but hasn't really come together either.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
mattCR said:
So far it's been interesting, but this last weeks ep was pretty terrible.   I think they are running into story idea problems.   This is what I had wondered when i said "how long could this kind of show really go?"
This week ..
In a weird chemical strike that caused people to act looney, race around, pretend fake in love rotated between action and cuts from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Tabula Rosa" S6 ep).   As people danced with people not really there, had funny dialog and ran around in swim vision.   I struggled to get through it.
The rest of the season has been interesting, but hasn't really come together either.
I have enjoyed the show week after week, until last week. I hope it was just a aberration.
I can take hallucinatory episodes. I can take time-jumping episodes (provided they don't jump too much). But combining the two gave me a big headache.
Plus if the 'bad guys' were able to get on the island, why not just eliminate all the 'good guys' - unless there are two sets of 'bad guys', in which case I'm more confused.
David

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
David

Yeah, that's what I couldn't get.. why give them a hullicination drug? If they could spike their stuff to drug them, why wasn't it more Jim Jones and just off them? The whole episode made NO sense to me.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
So far it's been interesting, but this last weeks ep was pretty terrible.   I think they are running into story idea problems.   This is what I had wondered when i said "how long could this kind of show really go?"
This week ..
In a weird chemical strike that caused people to act looney, race around, pretend fake in love rotated between action and cuts from Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Tabula Rosa" S6 ep).   As people danced with people not really there, had funny dialog and ran around in swim vision.   I struggled to get through it.
Agree with Matt.
I thought it was an interesting, unique premise for a show, but it seems like the writers don't have a final plan in place and are just tossing in odd-ball ideas to fill space.
It's also kind of a dead-end show with nowhere to go, can't imagine it lasting past this season (but then again we had "Lost").
It's fun as a popcorn movie type of show, but don't see it hanging around for the long haul.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Agreed that the last episode raised more questions than it answered, especially the final reveal.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, so another week, and this time I'll buy it, although there was way too much projection here for the reveal. How many more episodes are there this season?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well,
Its been cancelled.
I hope there are enough episodes left to give it a proper burial at sea. You know, resolve some questions and such. From what I read, they do plan to continue airing the remaining episodes.
David

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
On Twitter Shawn Ryan said, "We will film and air all 13 episodes. We're going to give you no-holds barred kick-ass ending".

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Great news.
Good to hear. Didn't figure it would make it, but at least they'll end it gracefully, not just stop and leave us wondering.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I stopped watching after the second episode. I guess I'll catch up with the show and the ending with the ABC app or maybe ABC will give it away for free on iTunes like they did for Pan Am.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Dheiner /t/323710/last-resort-abc-season-1-thread/30#post_4002606
I think this show could have been a great mini-series.

Well, depending on how it ends, it is! :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
its a shame as I think this show has really been fun - lately it really amped up - can't wait for the finale!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Since it's been cancelled, I wouldn't mind all out armageddon as the finale. :) Nuke 'em all!

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I called this one right from the very start and said it was DOA. So far I have been correct on all of my predictions from the past several seasons when I see a show like this. The reason I am turned off by shows like this and many others are as well, is because it's nothing more than a political soap box for the premise, plot, etc. When you look at how the country voted this past election, it was nearly split 50/50 down the middle. When you have shows that have these sorts of political guises, those like myself don't even bother to watch. Personally, I don't care what side of the political spectrum you are on, but when I have time to watch something, I want pure entertainment.
This holds true of other shows too, Smallville season 10 they ruined totally due to their obvious political grandstanding. I called "The Event" from the start and several others like it from various networks. They should learn that people want to relax and if we want soap box politics we will watch Fox News, CNN, etc. for that, but leave us to be entertained when we want to be. Otherwise, those that don't share the same views won't even bother watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks