What's new

Kurosawa documentary DVD - any good ? (1 Viewer)

JimNorton

Auditioning
You're not going to get your point across very well here by declaring that you're the only person who understands things.
I never declared I was the only person who understands things in this forum; in fact just the opposite - I stated I might just not understand.

I'll relinquish that maybe I don't know enough about what should or shouldn't have been done but nothing in this world is free and I'm sure it must cost money to add extras or to enhance a master. What if the company isn't supplied with great materials and can't afford to do them the way the forum wants? Should the film just never come out? I'll stand by my statement that a lot of these films aren't even bid on by other companies and would never come out if not for Wellspring. Why do you think Wellspring gets them? My guess is because no one else wants them..I can't see a company like this out-bidding a Criterion or Anchor Bay.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it serves anyone's interests to continue to argue with Jim about this. He doesn't represent Wellspring-Fox Lorber, and his arguments in their defense may or may not have merit. I simply don't know whether Wellspring-Fox Lorber fails to meet the basic standards that other DVD producers routinely meet because of cost or any other concern. I only know that they fail in this regard.

So, as a consumer, I have to make the decision whether to spend $100 (that's the actual retail price, not the MSRP) for a three-disc boxset that includes two discs which fail to meet basic industry standards. My decision is easy - this boxset is not worth $100, even if "RAN" turns out to be just exactly perfect. And I still have hope that they'll do justice to "RAN", but these other two discs have done nothing more than dim that hope somewhat. But I'll pay a moderate price for a half-assed transfer of a film I love... but not a premium. Not $100.

FWIW, I did preorder the two Wellspring-Fox Lorber Fassbinder releases coming out next month, "The Merchant of Four Seasons" and "Fox and His Friends", which I purchased for $20.99 and $17.99, respectively. The former, btw, is deemed a "Masterworks Edition" just like "Ran", so I'll be sure to let you know whether it receives any different treatment than "Fox and His Friends", which might have some bearing on hopefully differing treatments of "Ran" and the other two Kurosawa discs.

JimNorton

Auditioning
"no one even understands that" sounds like you're the only one who understand.

DJ
Thanks for proving my point DJ; instead of focusing on anything I said in my last post about the DVDs, you decide to continue telling me (and the forum) that I'm the only one who understands - even after I admitted twice to maybe not being as knowledgable as others. What I was referring to, and which you choose to ignore, is that it seems to me that no one seems to understand, or wants to believe, that maybe these titles would never see the light of day if not for a company like Wellspring.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
VIQ alert!!!

(ahem... "very important question")

Does anyone know when (or, god help us, if) Wellspring intends to release the "RAN" disc separately?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, all of the disks will be released separately, but not until later.

John.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
"You don't understand.... Nobody seems to understand... Can't you understand?.... "
I love these debates in the Kurosawa forum thread - I think we all understand, but might just have different perspectives - Some of you may want to rewatch Rashomon.... :)
Brian

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Well, I don't understand what the fudge you people are fighting about. It's Semantics Nitpicking Hell in this here thread.

JimNorton

Auditioning
I'm talking style here, Jim. Common human courtesy is important in getting people to listen to you and understand you. Saying that "no one even understands" what you're saying is rude and counterproductive.
DJ - I'm not going to argue this point with you, I'll just make this my final post in the entire forum - seems that's what you want. You of all people should not be talking about common courtesy when it is clear all you are doing is trying to fan the flames by taking everything out of context. If not, then why did you cut my sentence off after "no one understands?" So you can fan... I never said no one understands the things I do.

So goodbye forum, it is clear you do not want contradictory points of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks