What's new

JVC RX-888 Digital Inputs (1 Viewer)

Teddymayo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom DeMayo
I am trying to hook up my system for the optimum sound. I have a widescreen TV, Apple TV (latest version), Sony Model DVP-NS45P DVD player and CD changer. The TV, AppleTV and CD have optival cable outputs. The DVD has a Digital Coax. THe Receiver accepts 1 Digital COax and 2 optical imputs. I seem to be ablt to get the DVD and CD player to succesfully input digitally, but not so with either TV signal. I know there is a selection to configure the Digital inputs and I think I have tried about every combo. I also notice that the DVD digital workds, but the "DVD Multi" selection provides no sound. Not sure if that is due to the Disc I was playing or the lack of capabiity on the part of the DVD player. I can hook the TV or Apple TV (with a Digital to analog converter) into the analog ports on the receiver and use the effects, but I get a significant buzz. Any ideas?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You need to post the make and model number of each device, as well as how the connections are currently hooked up. (And the connections must show the direction of signal flow , e.g. FROM DVD optical out TO receiver optical in.) Once we know that, we'll have a starting point Have you considered retiring the JVC (a 1999 model) in favor of something more modern? Your connection options would be a lot simpler if you had an AVR that supports HDMI. There are receivers you can pick up for $200 on sale now that will greatly out perform your JVC,. Just a thought Joe

Teddymayo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom DeMayo
Joe, Thanks for the reply. If that's your daughter, she's a real cutie! The only real issue I am having is with the Apple TV, using the digital fiber output into the fist digital in on the JVC. The coax digital and the CD digital signal seem to work fine. The manual mantions TV or DBS, so I tried setting it up as a DBS, but there does not seem to be a way to select between the analog and digital signal when in the "TV" mode as there is for the DVD and CD modes. To be honest, my son also suggested I just upgrade, so I could just use the HDMI for all the TV based audio and use the fiber for the DVD and CD until I eventually upgrade those as well (although I guess even CDs are becoming passe). You think this Onkyo is a good piece of equipment for the money? Thanks, Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks