What's new

Just hit 501 DVD titles in my collection (1 Viewer)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Where do you guys store 500+ dvds?

Im pushing 200 dvds right now.. Around 1/3 of them were bought used from blockbuster during buy 2 get 1 free, or 3 for $25 sales.

edit.. i would have more but im usually nice and give my gf a movie if shes with me while i go on my used dvd shopping sprees.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm currently up to 1256, and I do have quite a few unwatched, but only television shows. All my films have been watched (and many rewatched), but it takes a lot longer to watch a season of a tv show, or a miniseries.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
friends usually gasp when they first see my collection of ~150. i was buying them at a pretty good rate before i slowed way down. i was up to almost 200 before i sold a bunch off. now, i only buy the essentials. and i'm thinking about undertaking the task of converting all my discs to the thin dvd packages. good thing i dont have as big of a collection as some of you guys! :)

CJ

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I had to sell my whole collection as it was getting out of hand. I was only up to 350 or so, but I was just buying the blooming things out of habit. I sold the whole lot. Now I only buy DVDs if I am acting with one of the stars (so they can autograph it) or a DVD which I am acting in. Needless to say, that is one SMALL collection! Haha. :D

P.S. So far, Casper Van Dien was by far the best at autographing DVD's. He put all kinds of fun comments on the case and disks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This thread inspired me to perform my occasional counting of my collection and I now have 534 dvd's, by far the largest collection i've ever owned on any format. I'm constantly doing inventory on my collection to see what I can afford to lose and i'm proud to say that at this point that isn't many.

If I had kept every dvd I ever bought since the format's launch in 97, I would have easily over 700 by now I think.

Here's my tally at their peak for the various formats i've gone through over the years...

VHS: Around 250+, it's been a long time so the exact number escapes me.

Laserdiscs: 80+ because they were so expensive.

DVD: 534 and rising by at least 2 or more a week depending on what's coming out.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
With the numbers we're amassing I'm glad for programs like DVDSpot. One of the best features is it shows how many film titles exist in the collection, since boxsets often register as one title by UPC code. So actually I have 544 titles in my collection!

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I'm around 300 right now. I was going to best Buy like I was going to my Dealer. I fealt like Norm at Cheers when I walked in there " Hey Sherms here it must be Tuesday".

Since I'm in the process of buying a house my DVD buying has gone way down.

The question that I have is who is your new best Friend?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Do the reviewers get most of their titles free for reviewing?

As for me, I just hit the number 10. Yep. It's a wonderful feeling. :D

Actually, I did used to own a collection, but never viewed it. So I got rid of it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, of course reviewers receive their product for free (they're called "screeners"). Why would a reviewer ever buy his discs?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
No reason Jack. I also know what a screener is.

It would just explain when some reviewers have 2000+ collections. Just the thought at how much money that would cost makes me shiver. I just couldn't do it.

Damn. I could have a vacation, new appliances, a hot tv, a new car, and money left over for savings.

I don't think anyone would view this many titles over and over enough to warrant owning them.

I guess I just never understood the whole collection thing. I would rather spend money on things I use all the time.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've always wondered how that works, am I right in assuming that the dvd reviewers don't get every title released, just certain one's? Probably so I would imagine.

I figured this would be the perfect time to ask about how that whole thing works.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Most DVDs I try to pickup for about $8.50 after taxes. At that price, I feel like I've made my money back with two viewings compared to a rental. Doesn't count family/friends coming over or money saved on theater tickets.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I've posted already: I think my total, all bought brand new, is at around between 600 and 700 titles. Roughly. And still growing, of course -- though I have slowed down a bit in anticipation of the coming high-def formats (my gut level tells me that Toshiba's HD DVD will prevail).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've also started planning on installing shelving to fit my collection. So far I have two DVD cases that hold about 280 DVDs each, but they have been full for awhile and I'm not really interested in buying a third. Time to transform the wall into storage!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

For me it is way too many. I can reduce my collection by 20% and still be in the high 500 range.

Anyway I'm at 726 Titles so far.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
388 discs, 240 titles so far. I really don't see what the problem is with having this as a hobby. I'm not into sports or videogames, so this is what I do aside from reading and working on my own projects. I love it and I hope someday I have thousands of the damn things.

I don't especially care. What matters most to me is owning the movies in a fairly "permanent" format. The quality is great to me and I don't think I'll be upgrading most of them when and if I move on to the next format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks