What's new

John Williams' Duel of the Fates (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
My ears hear a strong and equal resemblance to Mozart's Requiem and Glass's Akhnaten for a couple of reasons: Williams is of course very much aware of classical and contemporary works, and he has always shown that he is deeply inspired by 20th Century music, whether it's Holst, Korngold, abstract or minimalist.

Williams also takes major cues from Wagner in his work. He has even compared Star Wars to Wagner's Ring Cycle, a pretty conceptual piece for its time, in that Wagner wanted the audience to buy into seeing this massive multi-episode opera over several years.

So it just seems musically and artistically logical to me that Williams would allow his work to be informed by Mozart, Glass or whatever, while also creating a fully original work.

By the way, I think his TPM score in general is a major composition. It helps make the film the Overture to this Space Opera.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks