What's new

John Williams' Duel of the Fates (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Does anyone else agree that John has really hit upon a great theme (as he seems to usual pull off) with this one? After seeing the new trailer for episode II (forbidden love) it seems that the track is very transferable from movie to movie (star wars movies of course). Man what this tuba player wouldn't give to be in that orchestra during the official recording :)
cheers!
Josh

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Most intriguing was George Lucas's comments about it in the Beginnings documentary. John Williams says something like, "Are you sure you want the chorus in there?" Lucas responds, "You can't know this, but the chorus is going to be real important in episode III." Very interesting.

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
Seeing the maestro composer at work in the documentary on Ep 1 DVD was such a treat. I think no other composer out there in Hollywood does it better than William's himself.
This guy deserves more Oscars. :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I mentioned this in the other Star Wars thread, but I'll say it again... It seems like this may be a great theme in the prequels. I know that when I think of the prequels (okay, just Episode 1 and the Episode 2 trailer) I think of this piece.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I love Duel of the Fates. It could get me pumped to was See Spot Run or Snow Day. I like TPM, but I really think this bit of music was the best thing to come out of the movie.
Wouldn't have been the same without the chorus.
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Duel of the Fates, although I like it immensely, is nothing more than Mozart's Requiem Confutatis theme. Study them both carefully from thematic, structure and instrumentation perspective, you'll see that.
It's fabulous, it's great, but not thoroughly original.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I hope he uses this theme again in the next 2
When the music came on in the trailer, and Anakin said "Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever" this just sent a shiver of anticipation down my spine.
Star Wars wouldn't be the same without John Williams music. (but he'd better include the Imperial March in Episode III :) )

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Duel of the Fates, although I like it immensely, is nothing more than Mozart's Requiem Confutatis theme. Study them both carefully from thematic, structure and instrumentation perspective, you'll see that

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I don't know about that. Williams hadn't written the Imperial March for Star Wars. If they bring it in on Ep III then it won't be around for Ep IV. Unless they get him to re-do some of the themes in A New Hope. Greedo shooting first I can handle. Altering the music might be way too much for me.
eek.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, the Imperial March playing when we first see Vader board the rebel blockade runner in ANH would be pretty cool.
If Williams uses the Anakin/Vader leitmotif through into episode 3, I'm sure we'll hear it in episode 4.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 18, 2001 at 08:45 AM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
But it wouldn't be the same cue.
furious.gif
I know that music so well and I'm sure I can't be the only one. When I watch the original SW movies I often hear the muscial score more than I hear the dialogue. Any change would be really grating for me.
We'll have to see but that cue for Vader's entry is really cool.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Jim C, you gotta hook me up with your sis in law. It's been a while since I last did a thorough comparative discussion. We both have a similar credential.
But yeah, I still like John Williams scores.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
"music is good"
Anyone care to discuss more with me? I can go more in-depth if you like: "music is... real good"

Gruson

Second Unit
Music really does make the movie and John Williams is the master (Superman, Indy movies, Star Wars, etc.)
Theo, I do not know if you have heard or not but George Lucas has already shot additional scenes for the original trilogy. I am not talking about the SEs either.
In an interview with E!, Lucas stated the he shot more scenes for the original trilogy to make them flow better with Eps 1-3.
HORRIBLE news IMO.
If anyone wants the original trilogy, I suggest you buy a LD player and the THX trilogy box set.
I love mine.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
John Williams is probably the best at what he does. His scores are some of my favorite listening. I would also like to add that I like Jerry Goldsmith also, he has some great movie scores I enjoy also.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And what he doesn't may not understand is that it could turn from horrible news to terrific news just by doing one little thing: releasing the original version as well. I'm interested to see his attempt to make all six films fit tightly together, but not at the expense of the original releases.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, John Williams is the best at what he does!

While I don't think TPM (movie) is anywhere near as good as the original 3 films I think J. Williams score is just as good as the others. My favorite is still RotJ though.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
While I don't think TPM (movie) is anywhere near as good as the original 3 films I think J. Williams score is just as good as the others.
The inspiration of the film composer tends to rise and fall with the inspiration of the film, IMO (That is, good films tend to inspire good scores, and bad films tend to inspire bad, or at best unremarkable, scores). To my ears, Williams' Phantom Menace score is mostly filler, apart from Duel of the Fates. The score is only interesting when the film is interesting--that is, fleetingly. Can you whistle from memory any of the other themes? I can't.

The so-called "Forbidden Love" trailer for AOTC derives most of its impact from the canny use of Princess Leia's theme from the original Star Wars. I would love to hear this beautiful music actually reprised in prequel trilogy at some point, and not just used in trailers as a cheap way of hooking the old-school fans.

--Jefferson Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks