What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
NY2LA said:
You mean a few people here in this forum? Or just a few people you have heard of?
Doesn't mean there aren't plenty more out where the rest of the world is watching.
This, of course, is conjecture on your part, but you knew that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962427
You mean a few people here in this forum? Or just a few people you have heard of?
Doesn't mean there aren't plenty more out where the rest of the world is watching.
The one thing I do know, it's not enough people to detract from this film's status as one of the greatest films ever made. In the end, you can't please everyone of your audience so Spielberg can take the cumulative positive reaction to this film's casting and be very happy with that final result.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Crawford said:
The one thing I do know, it's not enough people to detract from this film's status as one of the greatest films ever made.  In the end, you can't please everyone of your audience so Spielberg can take the cumulative positive reaction to this film's casting and be very happy with that final result.
I seem to have missed the part where I made any claims against the picture's overall value or status.
Saying an actress looks more like a grandmother than a mother is simply an observation, based on her having more wrinkles than one would expect from such a character, and those granny glasses on a face that already looks over fifty didn't help. Or maybe as I said she adopted the kid after her own were all grown up. It just seems to me if you stop and wonder about such a detail, it takes you out of the film for a moment. I am not the only one who has noticed it. Others have noticed it too, which is fact and not something I am imagining. It seems pointless to deny that others think so. None of us have the ability to go out and interview everyone who has ever seen a film to validate their opinion, or deny that of others, though I have noticed some who talk (or post) as if they absolutely have. No arguing with such people. It's like that Monty Python character who swears he's fine after all his limbs have been lopped off.
I said I liked her as a person. (from her appearance in The Shark Is Still Working) I didn't insult her existence or acting. I didn't insult the film. But you know what? To me she looks more like the kid's grandmother.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
NY2LA said:
But you know what? To me she looks more like the kid's grandmother.
I'm actually with you, there. Always thought that. But, I think it works for the film, and was actually good casting - since she provided a gravity and weight that, say, a 31 year-old actress might not have been able to provide. Plus, I tend to like odd details like that... why does she look so much older than her son? Was he adopted? Where's his father (who's likely at least as old as Mrs. Kintner, and thus, maybe less likely to 'fly the coop')? It's all more meat in the sandwich.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ijthompson said:
I'm actually with you, there. Always thought that. But, I think it works for the film, and was actually good casting - since she provided a gravity and weight that, say, a 31 year-old actress might not have been able to provide. Plus, I tend to like odd details like that... why does she look so much older than her son? Was he adopted? Where's his father (who's likely at least as old as Mrs. Kintner, and thus, maybe less likely to 'fly the coop')? It's all more meat in the sandwich.
I think in this case, Mr. Kitner has left his wife for a younger woman, or died of old age. Maybe it was one of those May-December things and he was like 75 when they married. What's the line in "When Harry Met Sally"? "Charlie Chaplin had babies when he was 73!" "But he was too old to pick 'em up."
Have you seen GREASE? Now there's a ton of meat! Doesn't keep me from enjoying it, I just don't believe it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ijthompson said:
I'm actually with you, there. Always thought that. But, I think it works for the film, and was actually good casting - since she provided a gravity and weight that, say, a 31 year-old actress might not have been able to provide.
Yeah, I'm guessing she was hired due to her acting ability and while she looked old to have a kid that age (whatever her actual age), they didn't worry about it because they were getting the person who could best perform the role. Plus, I doubt there's ever been a viewer that sees the movie for the first time and has it derailed by Mrs. Kintner's age. It's really the type of thing that you only notice upon multiple viewings.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TravisR said:
Yeah, I'm guessing she was hired due to her acting ability and while she looked old to have a kid that age (whatever her actual age), they didn't worry about it because they were getting the person who could best perform the role. Plus, I doubt there's ever been a viewer that sees the movie for the first time and has it derailed by Mrs. Kintner's age. It's really the type of thing that you only notice upon multiple viewings.
Well I noticed it right away the first time, so... yeah it is possible to notice. Again not saying it ruined the movie, just made me wonder while she was on screen, especially during the slapping scene, where she really looked like a grandmother, with grandfather at her side.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
ijthompson said:
Honestly, I don't think that too many people are wondering about Mrs. Kintner's backstory while watching a shark film - at least not on initial viewing. A good film does however reveal information without dialog. Certainly we see Mrs. Kintner as the lone single woman at the beach among couples. Certainly we see her with only one child at the beach. Certainly we see Mrs. Kintner on the arm of her frail looking father as she heads for the dock. Most of us can make the mental leap that she is most likely a single mom with only one child and unlikely to be blessed with another child. Most of us can arrive at just how tragic her circumstances are without additional dialogue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962574
Honestly, I don't think that too many people are wondering about Mrs. Kintner's backstory while watching a shark film - at least not on initial viewing. A good film does however reveal information without dialog. Certainly we see Mrs. Kintner as the lone single woman at the beach among couples. Certainly we see her with only one child at the beach. Certainly we see Mrs. Kintner on the arm of her frail looking father as she heads for the dock. Most of us can make the mental leap that she is most likely a single mom with only one child and unlikely to be blessed with another child. Most of us can arrive at just how tragic her circumstances are without additional dialogue.
Thank you! I deeply felt her pain and the tragedy of her losing her only child on that dock.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962545
I seem to have missed the part where I made any claims against the pictures overall value or status.
Saying an actress looks more like a grandmother than a mother is simply an observation, based on her having more wrinkles than one would expect from such a character, and those granny glasses on a face that already looks over fifty didn't help. Or maybe as I said she adopted the kid after her own were all grown up. It just seems to me if you stop and wonder about such a detail, it takes you out of the film for a moment. I am not the only one who has noticed it. Others have noticed it too, which is fact and not something I am imagining. It seems pointless to deny that others think so. None of us have the ability to go out and interview everyone who has ever seen a film to validate their opinion, or deny that of others, though I have noticed some who talk is if they absolutely have. No arguing with such people. It's like that Monty Python character who swears he's fine after all his limbs have been lopped off.
I said I liked her as a person. (from her appearance in The Shark Is Still Working) I didn't insult her existence or acting. I didn't insult the film. But you know what? To me she looks more like the kid's grandmother.
She didn't work for you, but she did for me. Enough said!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by ijthompson /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962549
Her appearance always worked for me. Having spent a bit of time up at the Cape, she just looked right.

For those who seek more information, Her name is Lee Fierro, and has a long and important background in theater. Since her bio tells us that she began acting in school in 1946, she's not a youngster, but apparently still holds a place of importance in local theater.

78df504a_11452.jpeg

Here's her bio from the Island Theatre Workshop:

http://itwmv.org/about-itw/staff/lee-fierro

And more info with what I presume is a reasonably recent image:

http://itwmv.org/watching-the-directors-one-act-plays-require-flexible-hands-at-the-helm

Perhaps one of the HTF reviewers might approach her for an interview?

RAH

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
NY2LA said:
Have you seen GREASE? Now there's a ton of meat! Doesn't keep me from enjoying it, I just don't believe it.
Hoo, boy... I love that movie too, but those guys must not be too swift if they're still tryin' to get outta high school at their age! :laugh:
I probably won't have my copy of Jaws 'til tomorrow... how's the booklet?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ijthompson said:
I probably won't have my copy of Jaws 'til tomorrow... how's the booklet?
yeah I'd like to know how the booklet is myself. Amazon hasn't even shipped my preorder but from what others have said here I don't mind not having spent the extra time, money and energy to schlep down LaBrea to BestBuy for something they might not even have in stock. If anyone got one and wants to show off the digibook contents I'm sure a lot of us would love to see if we're missing anything.

I had it shipped to me because the Best Buy that is near me always sells out of these exclusives by afternoon, and I had to work. I just wanted to secure a copy, so I did it this way. Plus, I won't be watching it until I show the film at SkyDome.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
I had it shipped to me because the Best Buy that is near me always sells out of these exclusives by afternoon, and I had to work. I just wanted to secure a copy, so I did it this way. Plus, I won't be watching it until I show the film at SkyDome.
Sounds like fun, Erik. Are you planning any special cartoons, shorts, snacks, decorations or souvenirs to go with it?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's really irrelevant to me how old Ms Fierro actually WAS when she shot the film, or if she was literally or technically capable of BEING a mother at the time. To me she LOOKED about sixty and much more likely a grandmother than a mother of a 9 year old. Tried to make it clear that's nothing against her personally, except questionable casting or inadequate makeup. I felt that the first time I saw the movie and every time I see it.
I'm with you on this. It is something I tend to "notice" every time I watch the film. But it doesn't detract against my enjoyment of the film at all and I wouldn't change anything about it. And since I am a recent first time father, her speech to Brody is a lot more heavy to me (although I'm always dismayed about how she solely blames Brody on the dock. Nothing pointed at Vaughn or anyone else. I get that she's in grief and she probably doesn't realize any better about the political maneuvering by Vaughn to keep Brody from sounding alarm. And, even so, nobody was absolutely certain that it was a shark that killed Chrissie at the time of Alex's death. Nitpick, I know, and I understand the character need for Mrs. Kintner to approach Brody like that)

I always have a pre-show. The cartoons for "Jaws" are: Donald Duck in "Sea Salts" and Woody Woodpecker in "The Beach Nut." I always have a vintage 10-minute countdown clock featuring ads and cartoons, as seen during the Golden Age of the drive-in...brings back a lot of memories..."and delicious Hot Doogies." The pre-show runs 30 mins...not sure what else I am doing for that night. "The Sound of Music" is the movie for the following week.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
I always have a pre-show. The cartoons for "Jaws" are: Donald Duck in "Sea Salts" and Woody Woodpecker in "The Beach Nut." I always have a vintage 10-minute countdown clock featuring ads and cartoons, as seen during the Golden Age of the drive-in...brings back a lot of memories..."and delicious Hot Doogies." The pre-show runs 30 mins...not sure what else I am doing for that night. "The Sound of Music" is the movie for the following week.
Excellent! I love that kind of stuff and wish Filmack would release a good Blu Ray or even DVD of their classic intermission trailers. We have a theatre in LA that plays a cartoon and "Let's all go to the lobby to get ourselves a treat" before every show. Jaws related snack: Coffee Ice Cream and whatever kind of wine Hooper brings to dinner. If you wanna get really gross you could put red food coloring into the butter or butter-like topping for the popcorn. For Sound of Music I wouldn't suggest any featurettes, but there is a CD recording of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra playing a Sound of Music Overture that I would play before the film. Maybe you could serve pink lemonade put a pine cone on one of the seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks