What's new

James Bond Ultimate Ed Framing Issues (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
In terms of the aspect ratio of the non-scope films, I was under the impression that 1.75 was the correct UK ratio, not 1.66? I could've sworn that there was a big discussion about this here 4 or 5 years ago and that was the consensus.

The R1 versions will maintain the U.S. ratio of 1.85 as they were shown theatrically in the U.S., correct?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
OK, I just did a search and found one old thread. Apparently the Criterion LD of Goldfinger says this on the jacket:

"This edition of Goldfinger was transferred digitally from 35mm print and negative materials in the correct British widescreen aspect ratio of 1.75:1."

Which makes me wonder why the U.K. transfers are 1.66?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
As far as I know, the standard ratio for "flat" films in the UK is 1.66:1 and has been for some time; not sure why the Criterion LD says that. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Kevin Harper

Agent

Yes , still the same as previous editions - no next film is announced at the end, instead a wipe removes the title (which on the original prints was OHMSS).

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I've handled a few 35mm IB tech original release prints of From Russia, and they all have the jump cut there, as a physical cut in the film. It leads me to believe that whatever was removed was originally printed in, and subsequently removed at the studio or lab before release?

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Question...was Lowry DTS even involved in the 80s and 90s Bonds? I remember reading way back at the start of this project that they had been commissioned to work on the first nine films in the series (Dr. No - Man With the Golden Gun), and that everything from Spy Who Loved Me-onward was not in need of digital restoration. From what I've been reading, the earlier films are generally looking spectacular, while the later ones are suffering from the transfer issues. If this is the case, wouldn't those just be soley the fault of Sony/MGM? Why would they need Lowry to work on GoldenEye, which is only a decade old?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It is my understanding that the R2 releases have Lowry DTS credits at the end of all 20 films. Someone who has them can probably post screen shots. Whether they really had to do anything on Die Another Day, for instance, is open for debate. Licence to Kill definitely was improved, however, as comparison pics online show that scratches and dirt was removed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think the films in THE CONNERY COLLECTION Vol. 1 laserdisc box were transferred at 1.66:1. I don't have the box right here to check, but that's what my memory is telling me.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Besides the cleanup needed for the older films, their processing allows for the image to be compressed much better. Even new films require cleanup since it's film. LDI seems to take the place of manual cleanup or blind DVNR/edge enhancement.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the images in an A&B comparisons test, I have noticed this with Octopussy, which I have two versions of the film on region 2 DVD, the first edition, and the newly restoration collection, But does this represent the actual theatrical presentation of the 1983 film? Because it does look nice but after experiencing some minor errors with Goldfinger, yesterday afternoon, where there’s a slight black line, or a kind of a stutter in the lower frame, which is video generated and not film like. This is kind of depressing to me, to see this crop up!

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
on the new R2 octopussy , is rita coolidge name in full on the screen. i just put in my vhs tape of the movie and her name seems to be cropped off on the right hand side the opening is in widescreen then goes P/S. cause judging from pics i have seen octo appears to be more opened to the right of the frame.thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the jump cut at the end of From Russia With Love, there's a new article appearing on a Bond site about the new DVD's with an explaination of the cut, what the cut had referred to and why it was cut.

Here's the link to the article from the Commander Bond website: http://commanderbond.net/article/3454

alucard69

Auditioning
Real Name
Alucard
There's been a lot of discussion regarding these new DVD transfers and I was deeply concerned with what people have been saying on various forums. Anyways I've bitten the bullet and purchased my fav Bond movies and here's my thoughts and a brief comparison to the old SE DVD's:

Dr No

A fine, fine job they've done on this one no mistake. Picture is stunning compared to the original SE DVD and properly framed too. Sound is by no means bad but there's some hiss on the soundtrack - still better than the original mono track IMO (sorry mono purists).

From Russia with Love

Another excellent job. Superior picture and sound. Another improvement over the SE.

Goldfinger.

Yet again very good. However some of the colour timing seems a bit off in a couple of scenes though. Overall much better than the SE.

You Only Live Twice

Great picture and no problems with the sound. Colour timing seems to be spot on too.

Thunderball

Yep, another improvement on all aspects. A very good transfer indeed.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Picture is way, way better here, colours are spot on too. The title sequence seems a wee bit cropped to the left hand side (sorry no comparison shot provided) but not so much as you'd notice it though. I've heard a lot of people moan about the sound on this one, but honestly I thought the soundtrack is much clearer now (again sorry mono fans).

Live and Let Die

A bit of a let down this. While the picture IS certainly an improvement there are still some issues (the negative must be quite poor). colour timing is off in quite a few scenes. Just after the title sequence, whilst Bond is in bed with a girl, the colours are all over the place and almost give a strobing like effect. The contrast levels too are pretty inconsistent, especially during the speed boat sequence. I've double checked this against the original SE's and all these problems do exist there, they now just look more exposed since the clean up. Sound is better though.

Man with the Golden Gun

A big improvement with no noticeable problems. Good job on all fronts.

The Spy Who Loved Me

A slight improvement, but not by much.

License to Kill

I never owned the old SE but the picture is very good, colours seems stable and sound is great.

Goldeneye

And here we are, just as everybody has said on every DVD forum this release is absolutely atrocious. The picture is sub-standard even compared to my old VHS copy. Quite possibly the worst picture I have ever seen for a major DVD title. The framing isn't just off, the whole thing has been zoomed in. Surely this must be some mistake. If that wasn't bad enough the colour is totally washed out. Sound is fine though and yes it's Uncut. But the picture is diabolical. They need to make some apology for this fiasco and withdraw it from the shelves IMMEDIATLEY.

Overall the new UE's are a big improvement on the old SE's, but for the love of God avoid Goldeneye like the plague.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the thorough investigation, Alucard. Have already bought a few of these, and, like you, am very impressed on the whole.

Before upgrading all of the SE's though, I'll wait for the possible HD announcement, and if that's not forthcoming, then I'll buy the R1 UE DVD's. At least these will have the correct burnt-in subtitles, as well as mono tracks. Plus, we won't have to put up with those awful symbols instead of text in the menus - one of my real pet hates!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks