What's new

It happened! PROTECTOR mode on my Sony STR-V444ES! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Update
I spoke to the owner of the repair shop. He started off by saying, "I have some bad news...". As it turns out, the receiver is not dead, at least not yet. The technician found out that the problem lies in the power amplifier section. An engineer will be coming in next Monday to look at it. The technician is not sure if a chip or an entire circuit board has to be replaced. The owner said that for major problems, which is how he categorized my receiver, he has his engineer come in. So the news is not encouraging, but the owner is still hopeful that the receiver can be repaired.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Keith,
The whole time I thought that it would be something small and easy to fix and they would be shipping it back to you anyday know. I didn't believe it would be something that would require a tech to check it out. Sorry to hear that. It'll probably be awhile before you get your receiver back, but the good news is since your a music fanatic you really don't use your receiver as often. So I'm sure it's not that much of a loss for you right now.
I know it must be bugging the hell out of you that you have an empty space in your rack :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I am taking the loss of the 'V444ES much better than the 'JA555ES mindisc deck last December. I really liked the 'JA555ES, and as you said, music comes first with me. For now, I am surviving without the 'V444ES, but as you said, the open space in my entertainment center is annoying.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
'JA555ES mindisc deck last December
Has it really been since last December. WOW, does time fly! It seems like just a couple of weeks ago I was reading about your 'JA555ES.

Whenever I get the 'C222ES I will be coming to you for some recommendations on some great quality SACD's. The James Taylor "Hourglas" CD was that a SACD I listened to at your house? The song 'Gaia' sounded so good I went out the next day and bought the CD. I would love to buy SACD of that album.

Sorry I went off topic there.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, no problem with getting off-topic. Yes, the 'JA555ES broke down last December. However, the ordeal with Sony dragged out until April. That is why is seems like you read about it more recently. You did!

As for SACDs, I would be happy to make some recommendations when you are ready. Also post a question on the music board, as there are many knowledgable folks here. Anyway, we did listen to the James Taylor SACD at my house. "Gaia" is one my favorite tracks on SACD. It is incredible.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, unfortunately, no new news. I spoke to the engineer at the repair shop today, and he said he is still trying to determine what is wrong. He said the problem lies in the power amp section, but it is not the type of problem they typically encounter. He said the problem is more complicated. Certainly not encouraging. Should I just cut my losses? That STR-DA5ES is looking pretty good right about now. ;)

TomCW

Second Unit
Keith, tell your service guy to just get a complete power amp board from Sony DAPC. At $116 I wouldn't mess with extensive troubleshooting, labor is way to expensive.
Link Removed
Part # A4473455A
Description : MOUNTED C.BOARD,POW-AMP
Currently In Stock : Yes
Price(in USD) : $ 116.25
Tom

My STR-DE915 did the same thing. I tried the unit by itself on another outlet with and without speakers, nothing worked. Mine is second hand and probably out of warranty so I just gave up on it. I got a LOT of use out of it over the years so I'm not complaining, it was a good receiver. Now at least I have an excuse for my wife of why I need to upgrade :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I've had the 'V444ES for less than two years and have been very happy with it. It is well under warranty, as it came with the five-year ES coverage, so I would like to salvage it if possible.
Tom,
Thanks a lot of the information. The technician had indicated that he wasn't sure if just a chip or the entire board needed to be replaced. However, the engineer hasn't been specific as to what he is looking at. Perhaps he has found that the problem is more involved than just replacing the board. I will certainly throw this option at him, however. Note that since the receiver is under warranty (I gave the owner a copy of the receipt), I don't pay for the cost of the part or the labor.
Dan,
Thanks. I actually said in another thread that the 'DA3ES would make more sense for me. See my rationale in my second post within the following thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=79453

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Another Update
The manager of the repair shop that has been looking at my 'V444ES told me that they cannot fix it. He said that the job is more complicated than they are used to. It sounds like they cannot figure out what specifically is wrong with the power amp section. They are going to take it to the Sony repair center in Bristol, PA either this week or next. Those of you who remember the situation I had some months back with a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc player know that I had all sorts of problems with the Bristol facility. Fortunately, I am not nearly as fond of the 'V444ES as I was the 'JA555ES, so I don't mind the fact that the receiver is heading to Bristol. We'll see what they find out.
In some respects, I don't mind if Sony takes their time with the 'V444ES. I have a sneaky suspicion that they will deem it irreparable, in which case I will obviously be looking for a new receiver. There is some talk here that the 'DA5ES has been discontinued, which could mean that the 'DA3ES has as well. Late summer or early fall is when I would expect Sony to introduce new models, so I might only have to wait a little while longer to get a new model. The only potential problem with this is that the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES are great receivers, and no one knows what Sony will come out with next. Anyway, I can live without a receiver for now.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got my 'V444ES back from Sony today. Yuck. Some of you may remember when I sent a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc player to Sony for repair. You might remember that the 'JA555ES went to Sony's repair facility in Bristol, PA. Not only did they not repair the problem, but the player came back with cosmetic damages. In the end, Sony claimed that it could not get all the replacement parts necessary to repair the 'JA555ES both operationally and cosmetically, so I got a check equal to the price I paid for it. Well, it's deja vu with the 'V444ES.
As I unpacked the 'V444ES, I noticed no obvious damages. Good start. However, there were plenty of fingerprints on the front panel from handling, so I grabbed a very soft cotton cloth to wipe it down. All of sudden, I came across a spot on the front panel that felt rough. This spot would not rub off. As I looked at it under the light, I could tell that it was dried glue or contact cement. As I looked at the front panel a bit closer, I found a smaller spot. How ridiculous is that? :angry:
I still have the phone number for someone at Sony higher up in the repair department that I dealt with during the 'JA555ES debacle. I am calling her tomorrow morning. At this point, I just want to go out and buy a new receiver, and not a Sony. The 'V444ES has been a solid performer, but I am fed up with Sony's repair service.
By the way, I was so livid with the cosmetic condition of the 'V444ES, I didn't even plug it in to see if they even fixed it. I see myself heading down the same road with the 'V444ES as with the 'JA555ES. Sony is going to tell me to send it in, and they will try to get replacement parts. The receiver first went into a local electronics repair shop (authorized for Sony gear) on June 1st. I wonder how long it will take Sony to get parts in. Maybe they won't be able to get parts in this time either and I'll get a check. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Keith, they owe you big time! Just tell them to send you a check and they can have their receiver back. Sorry to hear that it's happening to you again.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
That's just how mad I am for you!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, thanks. I know Sony will not simply offer to send a check like that. When I went through the mess with the 'JA555ES, I actually got it back from Bristol twice, and both times, it didn't function properly and it came back worse cosmetically. After the second time, I railed at the lady higher up the food chain in the repair department and asked for a check. She said that only a technician can deem a product irreparable. So she had me send the 'JA555ES to Sony's facility in Westwood, MA since it was obvious that Bristol couldn't handle it. Someone at Westwood deemed it irreparable. As I said before, I see myself going down the same road with the 'V444ES. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Michael_T

Second Unit
Keith,
Sorry to hear about your predicament - definitely frustrating to say the least.

I would be curious to know though, cosmetic damage aside, whether they actually fixed the receiver?

I guess I was one of the few lucky ones, in that when I had to send my XA777ES in for repair to Westwood, MA - they fixed it quickly without any cosmetic damages, etc.

Definitely keep us updated.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I did not even plug in the receiver to see if it works. Frankly, I don't care at this point. I am fed up with Sony's repair service, particularly the facility in Bristol, PA. I called my contact at Sony and explained the situation with the receiver. In addition, I reminded her of the problem I had with the minidisc player some months ago. She understood the parallel of the two experiences. She created a new file for me with a new repair number and took down all the information again about the problems I had getting both components repaired. She understood that including the information about the minidisc player experience would help make my point to the decision makers. She is having a manager at the Bristol facility send me a FedEx Airbill so that I can ship the receiver back free of charge. Once the manager can see the receiver firsthand, he or she can take action. The lady I spoke to today knows that my patience is wearing thin and that I want this situation rectified quickly. We'll see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks