1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anything I can do to play DVD-A (dd track) on my computer!?!?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam.Heckman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to listen to a few of my DVD-As at work. They play on 'regualar' dvd players with DD tracks, and my computer has a dvd drive. However, when I put it in, it doesn't recognize it. What gives and what can I do?? Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Well-Known Member

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi you would need a DVD-A software player to play it at work or on any computer, but if you dont have a 5.1 speaker setup you wouldnt here all the sound?? do you have a 5.1 setup at work??

I bought a Audigy 2 which came with the Software DVD-A player. [​IMG]

I read they play on some DVD players but NOT in full DVD-A Quality!! you would need a DVD-A player or a Universal player "Pioneer 578a" for example.

DD is that Dolby Digital??

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Well-Known Member

DD is Dolby Digital. And I figure, that if I watch a DVD on my comp that is encoded in DD, and can put on headphones and here it, then I should be able to do this with DVD-A. I realize that I won't get full benifit from it, but I'm just at work and want to listen to the music, because for a while, I don't have time at home, where I do have a Pio 563a Universal hooked into a Denon 1604.

Interesting to hear that an audigy 2 comes with the software for DVD-A playback.

Does anyone know if there is any software out there for download? A search on download.com didn't come up with much.

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Well-Known Member

Adam,
    The creative audigy 2 DVD-A software will only work with a audigy 2 card. btw: I have a spare audigy 2 SB0240 card, pm if interested. These cards also come with 1394 firewire ports.

5. Darryl

Darryl Well-Known Member

All I can say is that my computer plays the DVD-V (DD) portion of DVD-As with no special software and with no problems...just looks like a movie to my computer.

6. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Well-Known Member

Darryl,
    That is correct, that sound track is the mpeg compressed data track or pcm. The high res dvd-a track will need special software and hardware such as the audigy 2.