What's new

Is low quality music threatening my speakers? (1 Viewer)

drexel

Agent
I download almost all of my music and I think it's safe to say that some of the junk I get off Kazaa is... well... less than CD quality. All of my mp3s are encrypted at 128 or higher, but some of the worst tracks are distorted as if they were ripped off of a video-taped episode of TRL... using a VCR circa 1986! I know that over driven receivers that produce distortion due to lack of power output are more likely to blow the speakers, but does this pre-receiver media distortion also apply? When I put on "All You Need is Love" and it comes out sounding like a song from Korn, is this a threat to my speakers?

By the way, I can crank up a quality MP3 or CD track as loud as I want without distortion... so I know it's not a receiver problem or anything...

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I would think that if there was enough high frequency distortion at a high enough level and for enough time, it could fry your tweeters.

I believe this is the same thing that happens when an amp goes into clipping.

I also have some MP3's that someone gave to me that have a bit of distortion. I simply don't listen to them because I cannot stand to listen to the distortion. And they certainly are not worth risking damage to my speakers.

JimmyK

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who is a dj on the weekends. He used to play mp3's until he starting blowing out his tweeters. Another dj mentioned to him that mp3's would cause this. I dont play mp3's on my home speakers knowing this but at lower levels I'm sure it would be fine. I'd rather not risk it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks