What's new

Is It Possible To Use A "Y" Cable To Drive Two Subs (1 Viewer)

BigTee

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Just purchased the Onkyo TX-NR414 which has one RCA style preout for the subwoofer. Can I use an RCA "Y" cable to drive two seperate powered subwoofers, at opposite ends of the room, at the same time from the Onkyo? Seems logical in theory, being that it is merely a Pre-Out, but always best to ask. Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And you can connect a Y onto each end of your current Y and drive 4 subs. They also make some 1 in 3 out Y's.

Glen B2

Agent
Real Name
Glen
BigTee said:
Just purchased the Onkyo TX-NR414 which has one RCA style preout for the subwoofer. Can I use an RCA "Y" cable to drive two seperate powered subwoofers, at opposite ends of the room, at the same time from the Onkyo? Seems logical in theory, being that it is merely a Pre-Out, but always best to ask. Thanks
I run two powered subs for HT. In theory a Y-cable should work fine, but in actual use, I've found the AVRs I've used (Onkyo TXDS696 and Marantz SR19) unable to drive both subs adequately. My solution was an inexpensive Radio Shack EQ (around $60.00 on sale) with separate level controls for each channel, as a sort of buffer with gain. I connected the Y-cable to the EQ inputs, and each channel of the EQ feeding a sub -- problem solved. YMMV. Try the Y-cables alone and if it works okay, fine.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I use a Y-cable to drive my two subs without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks