What's new

Is hybrid DVD-A on the way? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
John, I'm quite aware of what is available for cars, my post above indicated "With DVD-V players (and a few DVD-A ones too) becoming more commonplace in mini-vans, sport-utes and other family vehicles ..." I've also posted some comments about the Acura DVD-A system. Pioneer has reasonable universal players for the home now and would expect in a few years they'll have a universal player of reasonable cost for the car.

As far as Sony electronics, it is obvious they have been a bit short-sighted of seeing the advantages of making the car buying public aware of the format. They evidently feel that (SACD) hybrids and whenever someone else gets around to a universal player is good enough. I don't agree with their priorities with regard to that (I've posted about that too), but it is their business.

My only point is that if all that is going to be accomplished by DVD-A flippers is to be able to play it in the car and they continue the mostly hi-rez back catalog stuff at the trickle its been, they're wasted a lot of time and effort for a market that is getting smaller (with DVD players and other technology becoming more common in cars and may end up causing bad press. For a format lagging behind in the release category, with a great library of available Warner stuff, they don't need to slow down things more. Look how few titles Warner has released since the formats inception (80-90 perhaps incl. related labels?). In another 3 years, the ability to play in a car CD player will be less important than today and who knows in another 6 years it might be a very small minority.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

While I agree with this standpoint, I do see the value of the DVD-A Hybrid for bridging the time between now and when DVD players become standard in cars and portables. If/When DVD and DVD-A becomes a standard option for all playback, then the need for the Hybrid will slowly disappear (alot of people will still own CD players).

Of course as I said before, without marketing, the Hybrid is doomed to relative failure. DVD-A has received zero marketing to date, and has somehow managed to stay around which is quite an accomplishment.

J

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yep, and the best way to market it to the mainstream is to emphasize the DVD, not DVD-A, compatibility

"Get the new Linkin Park disc today...play the green side in your CD player, and play the red side in your DVD player, for a cool surround mix and extras!"

This will get attention as something new and cool, as a good value, and that works with their existing hardware.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

:laugh: Wow-talk about low expectations. DVD Audio is now being praised for being accomplished since it has not been cancelled. Yes, bravo DVDA. Now please stick around and continue to not issue any of that valuable Van Morrison or other big artists in the Warner Music catalog. Doing that would jeopardize your accomplishment. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
As far as dvd players becoming standard in every car, well, I don't see that happening. I'm pretty sure--or at least I hope--that most people don't have an overwhelming need to watch their Survivor dvd while whizzing down the freeway at 70mph. Watching people drive and deal with a cell phone, a Starbucks and various food products at the same time is scary enough right now!!

As a fan of surround music & a future owner of a 5.1 car system, lately I have realized I actually would appreciate the hybrid capability for: boombox use (kitchen, outdoors while washing car, beach, camping, etc); riding in someone else's (everybody elses?) car equipped with a CD-only player, or being at another person's home where the dvd player is not hooked up to an HT system but instead only through the TV and its internal speakers.

But I still don't have to have CD player compatibility--it would just be a nice feature to have.

BTW: The most I would pay for a dvd-audio car player is $400, including a basic (4 X 25watt RMS) built-in amp. And I really, REALLY hope the player manufacturers find a way to downmix a disc's 5.1 tracks to 4.0 form. That center channel issue in cars is a very problematic one, and not everyone will want to install even a small sub in their car.

LJ

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I do see DVD players becoming standard in cars.

Having a DVD player in a car doesn't necessarily equate to having the ability to watch movies (ie. no screen).

By having a DVD player come standard you can still listen to CDs, and you can listen to DVD-A and concert DVD-V (as long as they play automatically and doesn't get you stuck in the menu).

Also, the option of adding a screen for the backseat of a car or van for the kids is a big bonus.

It's a great all-around solution, and it will be up to the consumer as to how they want to use it.

It will happen, much like DVD-ROM drives have almost become standard in computers. It's no more expensive than CD-only players - so why not offer it?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Marc, I agree, it may not become std. in evry single car, but just like PCs, it is much more common to see a DVD drive today than a couple of yrs. back.

Lance, in the Acura DVD-A system, if you read the thread, I used it and it had the ability to pan the material so you could move the optimum spot from putting your head on top of the center console to where the driver sits or the other front seat. The Acura had no TV screen and I did not look thru the manual to see if there was a way to change groups - e.g. if someone wanted to hear the stereo mix. I've played DADs in my Acura MDX (since my neck is not long enough to watch the TV screen in the middle behind the front row seating) and one I have would not automatically shift into play. It was an authoring issue anf the only one from Classic Records I have that required one to select something when even popped into a home player.

There's lots of new technology coming. I could even foresee the possibility of a DVD drive and a CD-R in the car just like come in PCs to perhaps take advantage of recording stuff such as:

"Jan 14, 2004 08:05

Orban Releases the First MPEG-4 aacPlus Streaming Audio Encoder; OPTICODEC-PC Delivers 32 kbps Streams With FM-like Audio Quality

Orban(R) (OTCBB:CRLI), a worldwide leader in audio processing for broadcasting and the Internet, today announced the immediate availability of Opticodec-PC, the first MPEG-4 aacPlus(TM) encoding software providing high quality streaming audio. The software lets streaming providers supply content encoded with the Coding Technologies(R) aacPlus codec, widely acknowledged as offering the highest available audio quality at the lowest possible bit rate. Broadcast streams encoded with Opticodec-PC can be experienced through the new RealPlayer(R) 10 and can automatically list themselves on www.opticodec.net an upcoming new directory service for Opticodec-PC streams.
"Streaming has just become profitable," said Rusty Hodge of SomaFM after first hearing the aacPlus codec at 32 kbps.

For the last 30 years, Orban's patented Optimod technology has helped radio and television broadcasters everywhere shape their sound to grab and hold their listening audiences. Orban's Optimod-PC 1100, a professional PCI sound card designed for streaming media, provides "genuine radio"(TM) audio processing for Internet broadcasters. With three on-board DSP's providing equalization, AGC, multi-band compression, and look-ahead limiting, Optimod-PC 1100, especially when combined with aacPlus encoding technology, delivers a polished and produced stream that rivals the loudness, consistency, and punch of satellite and major-market FM radio.

Opticodec-PC is available for Microsoft Windows(R) 2000/XP and supplies streams compatible with the free Darwin Streaming Server, which is available multiple platforms including Linux, Windows, and Macintosh. Opticodec-PC is available in two versions, LE and PE. Opticodec-PC LE is compatible with all quality sound cards and encodes a single stream at bit rates between 8 and 32 kbps. Opticodec-PC PE is offered solely in a premium package coupled with an Optimod-PC and can encode multiple simultaneous streams at bit rates from 8 to 320 kbps. Both products are available immediately to beta customers. Opticodec-PC LE retails for $99. The Opticodec-PC PE has a suggested retail price of $495 or with an Optimod-PC sound card, for $1995.

Compared to MP3, Opticodec-PC provides a better than 60% improvement in audio quality versus bit rate, reducing network streaming bandwidth requirements and costs accordingly. At 32 kbps, Opticodec-PC streams offer close to FM quality, without the phasey, watery character of older codecs operating at this bit rate. Many listeners will prefer a 48 kbps stream to FM radio.

Greg Ogonowski, Orban's Vice President of New Product Development, said, "Opticodec-PC offers the most important feature that the basic Webcaster is looking for in an encoding product -- entertainment-quality sound at economical bit-rates."

Stated Bob Orban, Orban/CRL's Chief Engineer, "Orban's introduction of Opticodec-PC underlines our commitment to all digital broadcasting media. Starting with our Optimod DSP-based audio processors, we have delivered the finest tools possible to those professionals who demand quality audio in their streams and digital broadcasts. When we were introduced to Coding Technologies and its aacPlus technology, we immediately recognized a company with a mission similar to ours; the partnership was a natural fit."

Orban/CRL CEO Jay Brentlinger said, "The marketplace has been screaming for broadcast quality from low bit-rate Internet streaming. For the first time in this young industry, combining Optimod audio processing with Opticodec-PC makes it possible to offer the sonic texture of major-market FM broadcasting via the Internet."

"Traditional broadcasters have relied on Orban's innovation for years," said David Frerichs, Vice President and US GM at Coding Technologies. "Opticodec-PC brings that innovation to streaming and enables a whole new class of Webcasters to blossom into profitability."

About Orban/CRL

Founded in 1970 by Bob Orban, the world's foremost expert in transmission audio processing for broadcast, Orban leads the industry in the design and manufacture of audio processors for radio, television and Internet broadcasting. Recognized for its standard-setting Optimod digital audio processors and the Audicy digital audio workstation, the Orban name has become synonymous with reliable, high performance products. Today, its versatile audio processing equipment, editing tools and codecs are the products of choice in fast-paced production environments worldwide. In 2000, Orban was acquired by Circuit Research Labs -- a manufacturer of high-quality digital and analog audio processing, transmission encoding, and noise reduction equipment. Orban/CRL Systems now accounts for the majority of the global market for radio, TV and Internet audio processing. As technology evolves, Orban/CRL continues to innovate with state-of-the-art audio processing products for DAB, DTV and streaming media. For more information regarding Orban, call 510-351-3500 or visit the company's website at http://www.orban.com.

About Coding Technologies, Inc.

Coding Technologies provides the best audio compression for mobile, broadcasting and Internet. SBR(TM) (Spectral Band Replication) from Coding Technologies is a backward and forward compatible method to enhance the efficiency of any audio codec; putting the "PRO" in mp3PRO and the "Plus" in aacPlus. SBR is a fundamental enabler of the Digital Radio Mondiale open standard, the HD Radio standard, and is a core component of MPEG-4 High Efficiency AAC (MPEG-4 aacPlus). Coding Technologies is a privately held company with offices in Sweden, Germany, and Silicon Valley. Founded in 1997 in Stockholm, the company later merged with a spin-off of the renowned Fraunhofer Institute in Germany, the inventor of MP3. Coding Technologies' customers include Real Networks, XM Satellite Radio, iBiquity Digital, SK Telecom, mmO2, Thomson, Musicmatch and Texas Instruments.

For more information, visit http://www.codingtechnologies.com/.

Orban's Forward-Looking Statements

This news release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that are subject to risks and uncertainties which could cause actual outcomes and results to differ materially from these statements. A further list and description of risks, uncertainties and other factors can be found in Orban/CRL's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recently filed registration statement on Form SB-2, as supplemented from time to time. Copies of this Form SB-2 and all supplements are available on request from Orban/CRL. The companies disclaim any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Coding Technologies GmbH
Gerald Moser, +49 911-928 91-14 (phone)
+49 911-928 91-99 (fax)
[email protected]
or
mPRm Public Relations
(Coding Technologies' PR Agency USA)
Karen DeMarco, +1 323 933-3399 (phone)
+1 323 939-7211 (fax)
[email protected]
or
Axicom GmbH
(Coding Technologies' PR Agency Europe)
Anne Klein, +49 89 800 908-23 (phone)
+49 89 800 908-10 (fax)
[email protected]
or
Orban/CRL Systems, Inc., Tempe
Glenn Schulke, 602-438-0888
[email protected]"

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Please provide a direct pointer to the HFR article, I looked at all SA-CD articles back through 09/01/03 and there was no mention of car or portable SA-CD players in any of the article titles or sypnoses. To be more thorough, I did a search through HFR on the terms car sacd player and came up empty again on relevant content.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I only went back ~4 months to Sept 1. That would be a "recent" story to me. Thanks.

Neither of the companies mentioned (Philips and HK) announced the decks at CES, and HK has yet to release a player with SA-CD capability within that brand's Consumer Electronics lineup.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Philips and HK also do not sell consumer players here in the states (not sure about overseas). They may be developing a system strictly for car manufacturers as a premium option. This means if you already own a car, getting SACD in it will probably still be an impossibility.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

They own Mark Levinson (I have one in my car now wooohoo ;) ) and they are working on a SACD player. But again this does not matter with respect to car audio.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
"Philips does sell an SACD player here in the US" Lee - I could be mistaken, but I think Justin was talking about automobile players, not home players.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

You are correct Phil. I was talking about automobile players which nether Philips or HK market here in the states.

J

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Personally I think that flipper hybrid DVD-A discs are a bad idea. Consumers want ease of use. Having to remember which color is the CD side and/or which side goes up when listening in the car/home requires too much effort. It also opens up both sides of the disc to damage that could affect play. And then there are all of those DVD-A titles sitting on the shelves now that are NOT hybrids.

Also, in my opinion, high-res surround in the car is of limited appeal. Most modern vehicle sound systems have four or more speakers and use them effectively with 2 channel Redbook playback. Would directional surround improve the mobile listening experience for most people? Enough to drive significant additional sales? I don't think so. I know that it doesn't interest me one little bit.

Just my two cents as a consumer.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Does it, really? I'm sorry, but if someone can't spare the half-second to look at the disc before putting it in the player and the "effort" of the turning the disc over, that's just pathetic. Besides, we do it now with CDs anyway, making sure the label is on top.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I'd say you're right, but I'm sure there are lots of consumers who feel that way. Silkscreened discs are easy - you can feel which side is which.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Have any of you complainers actually ever put your Peter Gabriel "UP" CD in upside down?

(for those who don't know, the only thing that distinguishes the playing side is a circular red stripe on the hub)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Michael - Come on. UP is a very small exception to the rule. Statistically it means absolutely nothing in the great sea of Redbook CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks