What's new

iPod Thread (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this is the right place to put it. Anywho, all the iPods are now in color with the exception of the mini's, but I expect that to change given the trend. I currently have the 30 GB Photo, which I simply adore.

Do you guys think they'll ever do video?

BTW, does anybody here have the shuffle? How does loading the songs work? Space isn't a question on my 30, but if I want only a few select songs on the shuffle, how does that work?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I fully expect video to be somewhere on the horizon for the iPod. It's just a matter of providing DRM-contolled content, or putting the hooks into "open" applications like iMovie.

The Shuffle has options for you to manually manage a playlist (thus you would add the songs / albums / podcasts you want to hear). It also has an "autofill" option that will create a playlist for you, either at random, or based on the ratings you have given songs. You can autofill from your entire library, or from yet another playlist. Thus, if you have a playlist of your favorite Beatles songs, you could tell the Shuffle to pick a few until it fills to capacity.

Oh, and the 1 gig unit just dropped $20 in retail price...

- Steve

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'd think they'd at least add video file support so you could send them from your digital camera.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I remember reading in a Business 2.0 article that Apple is currently in research on a bunch of different variations of the iPod...video...cell phones...they're looking to milk this baby. You won't catch me with one though, I'm sticking by my MiniDisc ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dome, I gave this a little thought and concluded that your thread is best suited for A/V Sources rather than the Music area — especially since you all are discussing the possible inclusion of video on an iPod. Carry on. JB

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thank you good sir. The lowering of the iPod shuffle price has me intrigued. Now I'll have an excuse to finally make my 80's montage playlist for the gym :)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I love my shuffle. When you plug it in, it opens up a special feature of your iTunes that fills it automatically. You can fill it automatically where it selects random songs from your Library, or you can turn off autofill, and fill it yourself. If you have a USB 2.0 connection, this doesn't take much time at all, do it everytime you come home to dock it, and it's ready to go with a bunch of different songs.

Very cool.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hate to say it but my 30gb ipod photo feels like it's 2 years old. The display is boring compared to the iRiver players, reminds me of my last bare-bones cell phone. Of course I'm used to customizing an animated background, screensaver, etc... on cell phones so that may play a part in my rant. :)

What I do like about the ipod is you can view a song's album photo in full on the screen, the simplicity & handiness of the clickwheel, and the amount of aftermarket gizmos available for the ipod is insane. I love hooking it up to my alpine head unit and seeing the song tag info appear, as well as charging & controlling what I listen to, all from the head unit. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh btw, how do you upload photos onto the ipod? I wish you could do it with iTunes but from my understanding you need extra software to do that right?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wrong - it is done through iTunes. What may be throwing you off is the option to sync photos is only available when the iPod is connected to iTunes. When you have your iPod connected, bring up the iPod options (click on the little iPod icon that will appear in the lower right corner of iTunes) and select the Photos tab. On the Mac, you can sync up with your iPhoto library or selected Albums; on Windows you can choose folders (default is the standard My Pictures folder).

I do believe the next generation of iPods will do video, but I'm guessing they will be a different form factor (perhaps an additional line like the mini) to accomodate a larger screen. I just can't get why anyone would want to watch video on the current tiny little iPod screen.

Jennifer B

Grip
Also interesting may be that you can not only manually fill the Shuffle, but also rearrange songs. Just grab them in the iPod Shuffle playlist and drag them up and down until they are in the order you want. for example, I have them sorted by artis first and album second. Then, if you want you can turn off the shuffle feature on the iPod and click through your songs in order. Makes it easier to find a song wiothout display.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
The Shuffle is great and I started out with the 512 MB model. After about 60 days I wanted more. I currently have a silver mini and it is about 3/4 full. I have been eyeing the 60 gig color iPod (much to my wife's chagrin)!!! I still use the shuffle when I go and so something physical like biking or running.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks