What's new

Infocus X1 now $999 plus a $100 rebate till May 31st (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For this 30 day evaluation period, what are you guys doing for a screen? Do you already have one or are you going to buy one that will work with another projector in case the X1 doesn't meet your standards?

This is my concern. I hate to buy a screen (can't make one as I can barely screw a light bulb in :D ) specifically for the X-1 then find out that the screen is not the best choice for a different projector, like the Panny L300U.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim

Bah!! You have to go and ruin my fun...I honestly had not thought that far....:b

I guess I was planning on checking it out on a white wall. I did stumble across a thread for a DIY screen that seemed to be fairly inexpensive. If its not that expensive maybe you could try your hand at it??

I also have an old slide-projector screen somewhere in my basement. I have no idea what kind it is or the quality, but between that, the wall and a DIY I figured I could get a somewhat accurate idea of the capabilities. Maybe I'll need to invest some money in a screen to get true feel. Any comments?

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
What about "white boards"? You know, the ones that you can write on with special markers, and erase. They seem pretty white and bright. Would that work?

Mmmm...I think the one in my office is 16x9. :b

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Mmmmmm. I thought about that, but I thought that reflective would be good...? :confused:

There has to be something like that that one can buy, without shelling out big bucks for a true home theater screen. (Well, at least I hope so.)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
You don't want to use any type of material for your screen that has a reflective surface. This will make the image have a large spot in the middle of the screen that is very distracting to say the least.

I plan on using my wall painted flat white. If I am not happy with the results there are plenty of threads around here, including one by our own Neil Joseph, for DIY screens.

Parker

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Oren
A sheet of Parkland Plastic 4'x8' can be purchased for about $10 at local home depot's and others.
A 5x10 can be ordered right from Parkland.
Go to AVS screens and read about it.
I used a 4x8 prior to my screen purchase.
I needed a motorized screen.
I works very well.
There are also many other great idea's at AVS & here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=23
-Jerry

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
OK. I saw on the Parkland site that there is NRP and Poly-wall. Which did you use? (I didn't see any discussion on avs about that.)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey guys, I posted this on AVS. What's your opinion?

I really would like to upgrade from my 31" tv to a FP. After reading a lot of reveiws I was almost decided on the Panny 300. But, the Infocus X1 is down to $999 before rebate. Can I pass this up? This is affordalbe to me and I would have to wait a few more months to afford the Panny. I will use the projector mainly for DVD watching, some tv. The reaon I liked the Panny before was because of the native 16 x 9 ratio. Will this make a big difference in the quality of picture because the X1 is 4:3? Please let me know your opinions, I am going to the bank now to deposit a check. Might buy the X1 tomorrow if no one has anything bad to say. I plan on using it for a couple of years, so I want to be happy.
To add to this, I checked out the review comparing the two, but I really do not trust opinions from people who sell a product. I'd rather hear from normal ordinary Joe's like you and I. Thanks for the help and the thread too!

George

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
George,
I should have answered little more clear,
Yes a 16x9 chip will put more of it's available light
onto the screen & less light spill.
It will also add some lines of resolution.
BUT, unless you have a real special deal on the table for the Panny 300, I would first try the X1 because of it's cost with these limited time extra's available at this moment.
Even if you ordered it from from Infocus, the shipping box is only 13-14 pounds, It will not cost that much to return ship. Or find a local BB or BB on-line with free shipping.
If you need to return it, Just drop it off at any local BB.
btw: I did plug my X1 in today just to take a peak, heck my 103" Vutec screen was already to go since I already have the Yamaha dpx, This is not a review of any sort.
All I can say is this X1 is very impressive, and not just based upon the price, and completely out of the box without any calibration of any kink.
I looked at many pj's last fall while at cedia.
The X1 is a steal at it's current price when you consider your nearest price point options at this time.
The lamp price is also very good at $299. everyday retail.
Just think when BB or others have those % off discounts.
The lamp is also listed at BB.
Good luck with your hunt ;)
-Jerry

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
George :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
A person can always spend more!
So if you don't mind the auditions, start low $ and work up
until your eyes say that's good enough for me :)

-Jerry

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Oren asked:
>> OK. I saw on the Parkland site that there is NRP and Poly-wall. Which did you use? (I didn't see any discussion on avs about that.)

It's the Poly-Wall. If you call Parkland ask for Nicole and tell her you're ordering it for Home Theater. Also there are many discussions on AVS which talk about this.
This thread contains links to plans for building a Parkland screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=parkland

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking for an entry level front projector to be used primarily for standard television viewing and DVD and you can control the light in the room it is in then this is a no brainer purchase.
Provided you don't have problem with DLP rainbows. :wink:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I just bought mine today at Best Buy - the big Richfield store had 3, they kept one behind the counter for me at my request (paranoid old me). I got the -10% discount, out the door for $958 after tax. Rebate already in the morning mail...

The first thing I did was explain the virtues of FPTV to the wife - no good. So to smooth it all over I grabbed the camcorder and we watched video of our daughter, 9 ft diagonally on the living room wall.

I am suddenly a hero.

Thanks to InFocus for the price break and Jerry Klawiter for the advice. I am now the koolest kat on the block.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks