What's new
World Wide Stereo

In-Wall + In-Ceiling speakers Combination for a multi-purpose room (HT, General Listening, Parties, (1 Viewer)

laraz

Grip
Real Name
Lara
Thanks Robert.
I believe that in-wall speakers technology has advanced quite a lot, and the disadvantage is not as pronounced as it was years ago. Even if they can not be as good as standing speakers, I look at it this way, if my garage or my budget doesn't fit a Hummer, and I should get a smaller or cheaper car, doesn't mean I would say, if it ain't a Hummer, I shouldn't spend more than 10k and get a ford focus just because I can't get the Hummer. Ford focus might be great, but I can probably get a Wrangler for a bit more. :)
I don't believe in the all or none concept :)
Anyone with experience with the speakers I mentioned?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's still two drivers and a crossover that uses the wall as an enclosure. What part of that technology has advanced? The enclosure is the disadvantage and no amount of technology will make up for drywall resonance. Secondly, to design a correct crossover with the proper baffle step diffraction will shoot the prices through the roof. The 265-LS claims a frequency response from 28hz to 31khz. What's the baseline on that? Is that + or - 3db or 10db?
If you are going with those speakers, at least change the sub. Polks have never been known for their subs. The Epik Legend is a little bit more and will give you much cleaner output - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html Or if you don't want to up your budget that much, the Hsu STF-2 is closer to the Polk price while still offering more performance - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html .

laraz

Grip
Real Name
Lara
Great Thanks for that Robert. I'll try to find a retailer that would ship to Canada (unfortunately, we have nothing here except the very few big brands, and even these you can't find them everywhere and it's quite hard to audition anything (they usually have few things on display!)
The good thing with the front channels is that I don't have drywall but wood, I have built a [ATTACHMENT=259]20120402_174052.jpg (49k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=260]20120402_174222.jpg (74k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] wood unit to enclose the speakers and the TV, so i kinda mitigated for the resonance (pic attached)

laraz

Grip
Real Name
Lara
btw, I would be able to get the DSW PRO 550 wi subwoofer for 275$ (+ taxes). HSU is for 350 and 180$ for shipping to canada (plus taxes). So we're talking about 300$ approximately more for the HSU. Robert do you think the difference in quality is worth the difference in price and still recommend I would go with the HSU?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stick with the Polk. The additional performance isn't worth the extra price. SVS is the only recommended internet direct dealer with a Canadian partner. The closest thing you can get after that is Funk Audio. Nathan does some awesome subs but a single one would blow your entire budget.
BTW, there's a location section in your profile. At least put the country so we can tailor the answers to you. Like the time I recommended a guy go to Radio Shack when there were none in Pakistan.

laraz

Grip
Real Name
Lara
Thanks Robert very helpful. I actually just ordered the set that I mentioned before and it rounded up to a bit under 2K which is was quite cool (compared to a 4K retail prices even on sale :)
I am now torn between an Onkyo TX-NR709, 809 or the Denon 3312IC! My set up looks very clean (that is why in-walls were also my choice), all of my equipment (AVR, DVD, Cable box, x-box, etc) is in the basement, and I ran a 1.4 HDMI (50ft), cat6, optical etc, in the wall, to the TV that is enclosed in a wood flat unit to also contain the speakers, and I control everything with an RF remote control :)
I'll post a picture once it's complete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks