What's new

IMO, the worst looking DVD I own is Star Wars Episode II (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I take it you don't own Episode 1: The Phantom Menace then...

If you want to talk ruined picture quality then this is the place to go for your hideous edge enhancement. Clones looks gorgeous in comparison.

FredK

Second Unit
Fanboy: "I can't wait until 2010 when GL gives us TPM:EE!"

HTFer: "Don't worry, you've already got it..."

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
AOFC is, by far, one of the best DVD presentations for video and audio in my collection - and I currently have nearly 1200 titles! It even looks better than a good amount of HD broadcasts on HBO-HD, in my opinion.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I realize that this has probably been covered many times but for the sake of this thread I will state the following. Folks that have large progressive scan displays see so much more texture than the average viewer. I know that my HDTV has made me much more critical of anything on any televison HD or not.
Looks great on my 92 inch screen and Panny RP-91 prog scan player!

Felix

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Alma, did you see Episode II in the theater?

I saw it in a DLP presentation, and the DVD faithfully recreates the look of what I saw. As has already been pointed out, a transfer that accurately portrays the original is a good transfer, even if the results aren't pleasing to a particular viewer.

M.

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great and faithful DVD transfer. I saw it originally on a DLP in the theater and I can say it is close... minus some resolution on my projector. As far as the picture being soft, it is. Gladiator on my PJ blows it away in detail, but not overall "cleanliness".

Jonathon

mdean

Auditioning
AOTC DVD is the singular reason I bit the bullet and purchased a 42 inch SD plasma monitor.

The DVD on a good plasma is simply astounding, not be believed.

After seeing AOTC play on a SONY plasma, I simply could not bear to view DVDs on CRT or RPTV.

Don't have much money, but dug deep into savings and happily plunked it down on a Fuji SD plasma--and stepped into a great, wonderful new world of viewing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw the light saber battle on a widescreen TV (50" or more) at a BM and it looked like a video game.
You can't judge a DVD by a store demo. It is very, very rare to find a display unit that isn't displaying a grossly inaccurate picture. Store demo units are almost never calibrated at all, let alone calibrated correctly.

M.

Terry St

Second Unit
I agree with Mark that you should go rent a copy of the recently released classic "The Quiet Man". Then you will be qualified to post about needlessly bad transfers released by major studios, and not one second before!

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I was disappointed, though I think it is far from the worst looking DVD in my collection(I have Highlander).

I think it failed to live up to the pre-release hype. To me it just looked sterile.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Bad movies!!! The Last Emperor - a great movie but the transfer was so horrible all I could watch was half the movie...in over a year, I've never put it back in....

Outland is even worse but given the mediocre nature of the movie didn't seem near the travesty of The Last Emperor...

ATOC looked fine on my 51HW40/Panny CP-72.

WY

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Well, it shouldn't be anything inherent about digital filming that made it look soft on DVD (if you think it looks soft--I disagree). Those cameras DID have a much higher resolution than DVD has. Anyway, I thought it looked great on my father in law's new 46" HDTV. Perhaps it's just a case of extremely hyped expectations? *shrug*

Any fears I had about digital film not having enough detail were put to rest when I saw AOTC in IMAX. Yeah, maybe it was processed specially, but DAMN it held up good. I saw individual facial hairs that I'm not sure we were supposed to be able to see :)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
You can't judge a DVD by a store demo. It is very, very rare to find a display unit that isn't displaying a grossly inaccurate picture. Store demo units are almost never calibrated at all, let alone calibrated correctly.
I absolutely, 100% agree. And it annoys me when I'm with "uninformed" family or friends at these stores and they say "oh, the picture doesn't look that good," etc. when the particular monitor they're looking at blows away what they have at home! Of course, I quickly "inform" them. But sometimes it's like trying to explain letterbox vs. pan 'n' scan. I have a feeling that when people just don't understand something after 2 or 3 explanations, they would rather think you're trying to pull one over on them than admit for a moment that they're clueless ;)

Anyway, it seems our local Costco has AOTC running on every TV on the floor lately, and it does look like garbage. IMHO, the EP 2 DVD, on a well-calibrated system, is outstanding. It's one of my top demo DVDs.

I don't confuse the "look" of the movie with the quality of the transfer. I don't attribute Kubrick's choice of going heavily gritty on EWS or Spielberg and Kaminski's recent string of grain-fests as reasons to bash those DVDs' visual qualities (which faithfully represent the artists' visions).

As for EP2, there's a lot of debate about digital vs. film, and a lot of what's being discussed here is emotional and - unfortunately, innacurate (as it relates to the CineAlta camera used on EP2 and the perceived benefits and/or limitations of the camera, exposure, etc.). There's enough debate on the film tech forums for that stuff!

In any case, I will gladly take the EP2 DVD over EP1 any day! I only wish Lucas & Co. had done EP1's DVD using the digital files used for the June 1999 DLP and DILA theatrical presentations.

Cheers,
Felix

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I suspect this thread was started only to spark debate... I'll play along...

It's like complaining the Matrix DVD was too "greenish".

I do agree there was a "softness" to AOTC I thought the same thing when I first put it in. But, as stated above, the theatrical presentation appeared the same way. The AOTC DVD is the most accurate representation of the original film I've ever seen. If you were to look closely, you'd see there is absolutely no film artifacts whatsoever (that's because there was no film, of course). If you're seeing pixelation or other artifacts, you may want to look at your player and connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks