What's new

I'm a Microsoft and I can't create an ad campaign (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am surprised nobody else heard this as the news is now
a couple days old....

This past week a Microsoft executive admitted that those PC
commercials were put together on a MAC.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Ron, and I don't mean to offend, but the articles about the PC commercials being made on a mac just come off as ignorant. You get the idea that they must think Gates and Co. must have made the commercials themselves in their spare time.

It's professional advertising, it was made with the toolsets of whomever Microsoft hired to do the ad campaign.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

So true. I remember being on the receiving end of the trait you admit here not too long ago. You were civil but there was no mistaking your position. To be fair, I also must admit I was not current on the capabilities of the Mac platform, and my post did contain some factual errors. I briefly questioned whether PC users were really welcome on HTF after that exchange.

I don't understand why people need to believe their platform is inherently superior to another. This is subjective thinking at best, and as DaveF alluded, I try to avoid such conversations, since they generally degenerate into pointless attacks. I can say for a fact that the PC is [currently] the best choice for me. But I am not at all bothered that others choose the Mac. I've even recommended it to some.

I absolutely love the latest Microsoft adds. Although the Gates/Seinfeld adds were typical misses reminiscent of IBM's horrible add history, I thought the current adds were a perfect response to Apples [admittedly successful and well-done] campaign.

Be gentle...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

John

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

I do hope that I was civil towards you.

I have gotten into a lot of heated conversations with people
over Mac vs. PC, but have tried to be respectful towards their
opinions in the process.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
My beef in the PC/Mac arguments is that from my experience the PC users are arguing from a point of ignorance in that they've never used OSX nor kept current with what it has to offer etc. Its far from perfect but using both daily I greatly prefer OS X.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Touche!
I admit that this describes me. My memories of the Mac are from long ago experiences, but even then I didn't argue the overall merit of one vs the other, as I think they both have their advantages. I'll be the first to say, I don't prefer PC's because of their ease of use. For me it's the openness of the platform and the techie in me.

John

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Gotta hate the new PC ads. Just. Plain. Bad.

So, that said... I gotta get in on the side-discussion going on here.

I bought my very first Mac in May. I'm a voice-actor, and I wanted to be working on the same platform as the studios. That was my primary purpose for wanting a Mac.

Now, keep something in mind here. I'm a long-time PC user. My first PC was a Tandy computer, running DOS and Windows 3.1. (That was MY first computer. I worked and played on Apple IIs, IBM PCs and PCjrs and Commodore PETs. Even a wonderful old TRS-80 with a tape-drive and dual floppies! OoOOoOO the power!)

I remember losing my mind with excitement getting a 300 baud modem. Not to mention a 20MB hard drive. ("Twenty MEGABYTES? I'll NEVER use all that ROOM!") From those early days, I spent many years as a PC tech, sys-admin and network admin.

(Note: I've never been one of these folks that defended PCs against Macs, and got all hot and heavy over which machine is better. The different machines both have their advantages and places.)

So... back to my first Mac. (An iMac, to be precise) It took me a bit to get used to OSX, but I gotta say, I LOVE this machine. It's stable, reliable, powerful and even great looking. Plus I can run Windows and it's programs if I really need to... what more could I ask for? (Plus the fact that since May, I've had to reboot my machine... twice? As opposed to near-daily?)

I've since become a fan of all things Mac. I have a new iPhone, and I must admit I'm contemplating an AppleTV, and an Airbook for my wife. I still use my PC laptop, but only as an Internet/Email machine from my living room.

So... in a nutshell, this ol' PC nut is a total convert. Sure, I still see where PCs have their place, but it's unlikely I'll ever go back.

(Oh, and Calgary just had it's very first Apple store open a few weeks ago. Holy crap, is that place DANGEROUS.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

Welcome to the Mac family. Your impressions of your iMac does
not surprise me. None of us here are likely to ever go back to a PC.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I finally saw one of the new Microsoft ads. I think they perfectly describe the company: they can't come up with anything original, so they attempt to copy Apple (in this case their ad campaign) and miss the point entirely in the process, coming up with something bad. Really, Microsoft, can't you buy some originality with all your billions? I guess originality is something you can't buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks