What's new

If a natural disaster occured would you save your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm just interested in how obsessed we all are with our DVD collection. If a major disaster occured (ie. Hurricane) and you had to evacuate, would you bring your DVDs?
-Keith-

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I'd be too busy grabbing photographs, home video tape, legal documents, clothing, etc...
After that, I would scan my music collection first and then move on to my most critical movies. I would certainly not grab all of my DVD's (or CD's for that matter).
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
No, that is what insurance is for. The only thing other than my family and pets would be photos.
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Luckily, I have an easily accesable window in my room, and the backyard isn't that far down , so I would grab every dvd I owned (almost 200) and just tossed them out the window, then amidst all the fire, flood, wind etc, I would see if SOMEONE could give me a hand with my Sony VVega! :)
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yep! First my dog, then my dvds!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No, I'd also go for the all the legal paperwork and lockbox security keys, stuff that would really matter if they disapeared. DVDs can be replaced (plus getting them pruned by a natural disaster might be good, I was robbed of 60 of my CDs 6 years ago, and I've only replaced 20 of them, guess I didn't really miss the other 40 CDs...)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I doubt it. If I had any OOP discs, I'd consider grabbing them, but as of now, I only have that Beatles 4-disc set which isn't spectacular anyways.
Now...if I had some Criterion Collection DVD's like Brazil and that OOP Hard Days Night DVD...I'd do my best.
Of course, DVD's come last after pets (3 dogs and a cat), CPU, zip discs, and my 8mm home movies.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure I could use my body to ward off the flames for long enough to get the DVD's out. I mean, how important is skin, anyway? :)
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Screw my family, I'd grab as many DVDs as I could and RUN! :)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Nope. I'd take the payout and only replace about half of my collection.
Photographs first then paperwork.
Brent L

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
First my dog, then my cat, enough clothing to cover myself, movable ht gear, then dvds.
Actually the cat could probably escape on her own more effectively than I could rescue her. The dog would probably try to rescue me.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'd rescue as much stuff as I can, photos, homemovies, dvds, the cat etc., than when I'm at a safe distance scream as loud as I can "SANDRA!!!Get out the house fast!!!".
wink.gif

No actually if some calamity was happening I'd probably wake up tied to the bed, the house empty....
erm ok, if a disaster really was occuring I'd be on the forum posting every detail ....guys, this is Steve ...probably my last message to everyone ...the house is on fire ...Sandra has left the house ...she said she's going for help ...that was an hour ago ...cough cough ....my dvds are melting ...cough cough ...sniff sniff ...my Showgirls dvd is no more! ...this is it guys ...the end ...the keyboard is melting ...I look like Freddy Krueger now ...goodbye my friends ...I................

Julie K

Screenwriter
The only disasters I currently need to be concerned about are fires and earthquakes.
If there were an earthquake so bad that I had to leave the house, the DVDs would probably be to damaged to worry about anyway.
If there were a big fire coming up (less chance each year due to massive hillside destruction for new houses) I'd probably be one of those crazy people who get on their roofs with a garden hose. I've got way too many things that are precious to me (including a few DVDs that can't be replaced) to get them all evacuated in time. So, on the roof with a hose...
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely not, they're replaceable. Photo albums, genealogy notes, pets, antiques, collectibles, computer files, family heirlooms, paintings, all take precedence to consumer products. I'd leave the CDs, microwaves, computers, and everything else that can be repurchased behind.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Actually Ive given this some thought-I have DVD's,CDs and other stuff that could never be replaced.What would I do if the house caught on fire or there was some kind of disaster??
Id throw my matress out the window and then throw the stuff onto it or wrap it up in some blankets and lower it out the window.
So the answer most difinitely is yes.When I buy a house though, it will be a ranch(I used to deliver furniture and learned to hate stairs) and I wont have to worry about the fall from a higher floor.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 10, 2001 at 09:20 AM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, first and foremost would be the 2 cats I live with.
Assuming there was time and I could do it safely, I would probably just grab the DVDs that are now out of print. Insurance can pay for the rest.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Rob T

Screenwriter
of course I would. I'd grab the DVD player as well if I could carry it all at the same time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks