What's new

I want Frankenstein:The True Story on dvd (1 Viewer)

I would like to see the original 4hr presentation
of Frankenstein:The True Story on dvd.It was,briefly..
on vhs a few years ago.I saw it once on tv and it scared
the living crap out of me.Michael Sarrazin's portrayal was
one of the best ever given for the Monster role(along with
Boris Karloff,of course!)

Robert Saccone

Premium
I remember seeing this when it was first on tv in 1974 when I was 8. This would be great to have and I would finally be able to get rid of my 25 year old VHS copy. I never found this version to be very scarey, just a very cerebral version of the story.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wait a sec....

Is this the one where Frankenstein starts
out as a handsome creature and slowly becomes
ugly?

It was a TV movie. I remember it as a kid.

If this is the one....oh boy! I would give
anything to see this released on DVD -- just to
see it again.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, Ron, that's the one. It's high on my list too. I would order it in a second if it was announced.

It has a stellar cast, with James Mason and the ever beautiful Jane Seymour.
But also David McCallum, Michael Sarrazin, Michael Wilding, Agnes Moorehead, Ralph Richardson and John Gielgud, to mention a few.

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this one, too. And since it was broadcast on NBC-TV, shouldn't we move this little thread to the new section? Please advise, Ron and Cees! :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Oh, I loved this when I was a kid. I was in third grade when it was broadcast, I think. This is the one with the crawling hand that they poured acid on, and it dissolved. And Dr. Frankenstein called Michael Sarazzin "Beautiful," that was his name.

I found out this was actually also released theatrically in Europe, in a shorter, alternate cut, with some alternate scenes, apparently.

It appears Universal may own the rights to this -- they were the original production company, NBC TV was the distributor.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yet another Universal title that doesnt see the light of day on DVD. They must not want my money, cause id buy it too.

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Is this the one where the Lady Creature squeezes a cat and licks its blood (or liver) off her hands. If it is the one I'm thinking of that scene gave me nightmares for years. I'd buy this in a second.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I would want this too simply because Agnes Moorehead is in it and I believe it was her last time to be on film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, this film has stuck with me all thru the years too- even though i was about the same age as Ron the first and only time i saw it.

would love to see this again, also.
[sarcasm]if Universal does own this-it's a shame they don't have any other, major creature feature theatrical events they could tie it in with [/sarcasm].

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Me too, Me too!
I remember this movie from when I was very young and was just looking for it on vhs before finding this website. It would be a great one to have on DVD.

Robin

EdHonauer

Auditioning
If you go to the IMDB page for this and look at the forum section there's a guy selling a copy on DVD. A fanboot of the full uncut version. Very pricey, though!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have a copy on VHS from GoodTimes, but unfortunately it's the shorter version (the box says 122 minutes). Count me in as wanting this one on DVD, in all its full glory.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I remember seeing -- and loving -- this movie in its original network showing... I would definitely shell out for it on DVD without a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks