What's new

I Confess.......(I have not seen these films): (1 Viewer)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I thought the purpose of this thread was just to list famous films those posting have not seen, not to make value judgments. See, one could turn on the above statement by pointing out how "disturbing" it is that its author hasn't seen the films he has listed.

Some of the other posts contain disturbing comments too. I always thought that one would prefer to show off his or her knowledge, instead of making near-celebratory statements about having no desire to see any films made before 1960. As Walter points out, you're only telling the world how self-limiting your preferences are.

But that's your choice. Just remember that in order to understand how film came to be as it is today, it sure helps to know what has come before. (I hear a lot of "youth" in this thread.)

Don't you know what they say about assumptions, Jack?

Anyway, I was only joking about that...I didn't REALLY mean I was disturbed. Next time, I'll put a smiley just to make sure you get it. And was I, by saying that I was 'disturbed' about a few members not having seen Bond movies, subconsiously saying that "having no desire to see any films made before 1960"? Computer armchair psychologist indeed. FYI, I am interested in "what has come before". I am amazed how much you extracted in my viewing habits with one sentence. ONE!

Well, I have seen:
Rebecca
Ben Hur
Spartacus
Cleopatra (I even own this)
Most Hitchcock movies.

Do you have any suggestions for me, Jack? I dont mean this to be mean, but I'm always looking for a decent title.

Excuse the rant, but I wanted to clear the air about things. Carry on.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jason, Jack wasn't only referring to your post, the second paragraph was directed to one poster who bragged that he had no desire to see any movies made before 1960. Check out page 2.:)
And he was commenting at the seeming disinterest in film classics expressed by a few posters on this thread.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Most of the 20/30 somethings I talk to don't seem to have a film knowledge that goes back much further than the first 'Star Wars' movie, nor are they interested in much beyond post-1970 sci-fi/action genres or hipster classics like Tarantino's stuff.
I'm 25, and despite not having seen the movies I mentioned earlier, I am a big fan of Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Kubrick and Tarkovsky ( and own many of their movies on DVD ). One of my favourite movies is the silent Metropolis and with the exception of The Shawshank Redemption, I haven't really liked anything made in the past decade. Other favourites of mine include Lost Horizon, King Kong, Kwaidan, Inagaki's Samurai trilogy and Casablanca. Just because you're young doesn't mean that you're ignorant of great movies made pre 1970.
Well... in some cases maybe :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I am extremely ashamed that I have not seen Psycho, despite being a Hitchcock fan (I have Vertigo, Rear Window, Rebecca, and Notorious on DVD). To make matters worse, I have seen the remake.
**cue lots of good-natured ribbing by the rest of HTF**

But seriously, that seems very curious, what strange circumstances led to this reversal? At least one good thing though: when (not if, when) you finally see the Master's original, you'll appreciate it that much more having first seen the travesty.

I first saw Psycho when I was about 12. At the time, I was, as most kids, fairly simplistic in tastes, Star Wars was to me (still is, in some ways :b ) the epitome of movie-making. So my impression was, hmmmm, nice twist, but no big deal. It wasn't until I watched it again years later that I appreciated the genius that is Hitchcock.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
I recently made a vow (a solemn one, no less) to watch one film a week that falls into my "films I'm embarrassed to not have seen" list (in addition to the two-or-three other films per week). As a video store owner, it's particulary galling to be called out in public as not having seen such-and-such a film. (I just watched Throne of Blood as part of this vow, and To Kill a Mockingbird [I've read the book a couple of times, and -- to be honest -- I prefer the book.] Tonight, I'm taking home The African Queen -- on VHS, no less. O, the sacrifices I make!)

Upcoming picks include Some Like it Hot, Das Boot, and The Seventh Seal. Oh, and I SUPPOSE Gone with the Wind, although I have to admit I'm not really looking forward to it.

--K

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose I should correct myself.

I do have a niggling interest in seeing 2001 (to see what the fuss is about). And I'd like to add all of Hitchcocks films to the list I made.

And I do respect classics. But mostly I prefer to not watch B&W movies. And I know that sounds ignorant and I must be a fillastein(sp?) but thats just the way it is.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
But seriously, that seems very curious, what strange circumstances led to this reversal? At least one good thing though: when (not if, when) you finally see the Master's original, you'll appreciate it that much more having first seen the travesty.
Well, my friends made me see the Psycho remake before I was really into movies and DVDs. I guess since I disliked the remake, I stayed away from the original as I started aquiring other Hitchcock movies. Then I figured I would wait for an anamorphic transfer. I think I may just go buy the current version, though.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The OAR for Psycho is 1.85:1, and the DVD reflects this.

The one film that I have never seen that surpises even me is "Patton". I will be remedying this oversight in the next day or two, though.

Regards,

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
fillastein(sp?)
By misspelling Philistine so badly you've kind of driven home Jack's point. :)

I have not seen Magnificent Seven or Seven Samurai. I have not seen Spider Man.

If you have not seen African Queen, The Searchers, High Noon, North By Northwest and Bridge on the River Kwai, you are missing a cornerstone.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Other favourites of mine include Lost Horizon, King Kong, Kwaidan, Inagaki's Samurai trilogy and Casablanca
Sean,

Great choice with Lost Horizon ! I bought this one blind and consider it one of the great blind purchases I've made, a wonderfull forgotten film. It's a shame part of the print was never found again and is lost forever.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Great choice with Lost Horizon ! I bought this one blind and consider it one of the great blind purchases I've made, a wonderfull forgotten film.
Yep, it's certainly up there in my top ten - a wonderful movie! :) I personally found it to be more heartwarming than 'It's A Wonderful Life' ( That said, the impact of IAWL has probably been lessened over the years due to an infinite amount of spoofs/homages ).
It would be a terrible shame for somebody to miss as great a film as 'Lost Horizon' simply because they didn't like b/w movies...

Sathyan

Second Unit
fyi age: 25

the only westerns I have seen are: Blazing Saddles and Cat Balou. And I'm not sure if they count.

from the AFI top 100 list I have not seen:
4. GONE WITH THE WIND (1939)
12. SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950)
16. ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)
30. THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)
33. HIGH NOON (1952)
35. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)
37. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946)
38. DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
50. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)
62. TOOTSIE (1982)
63. STAGECOACH (1939)
69. SHANE (1953)
79. THE DEER HUNTER (1978)
80. THE WILD BUNCH (1969)
82. GIANT (1956)
88. EASY RIDER (1969)
96. THE SEARCHERS (1956)
97. BRINGING UP BABY (1938)
98. UNFORGIVEN (1992)
99. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967)
100. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks