What's new

I Confess.......(I have not seen these films): (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mike,

be forewarned about Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the scene with Pheobe Cates emerging from the pool in that red bikini will bring you to your knees if your not expecting it and will stay with you until the day of your death. :eek:
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ask anyone and they'll tell you that that is one of the single greatest scenes to come out of Hollywood in the 80's! :)

As for myself, I haven't seen any of The Godfather films. Movies like that tend to disturb me for some reason with all that ruthless cold blooded gangland violence. Plus I heard about the famous horse head scene, and that will not sit well with me at all.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Any movie made before the 40s
Gone With The Wind (which I haven't watched myself though)? Wizard of Oz? Fantasia (borderline, released 1940, made before)?

I tend not to watch the "heavy" dramas, e.g. Driving Miss Daisy, Ordinary People, Kramer v. Kramer, On Golden Pond (all of which IIRC are Best Picture winners, or are certainly critically acclaimed). Not to my taste.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
In my opinion the second Austin Powers is the best so far (Elvis Costello is in it Jon).
Dana, I strongly agree. 2 was great. 1 was pretty good, just not as witty clever and fun as 2. 3 kinda sucked, they could have done so much more with Michael Caine.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Arman - I've seen, and admired, many, many Hitchcock films. Just happened to miss N by NW. Also have seen Lawrence of Arabia (love it) and Bridge on the River Kwai (REALLY love it), but not yet Zhivago. It's on my list, though (I even own it).

Regarding Matrix/Austin Powers/Caddyshack...it's not that I feel a burning desire to see these, it's just that they are referenced so frequently, I sometimes feel like a dolt.

Dana - I didn't know Elvis Costello was in an Austin Powers movie. EC has been my Absolute Hero - uncontested - since '77. (although I didn't much care for his recent role on Frasier).

Having read over these other confessions, I suddenly don't feel so bad. Ya mean to tell me there are folks walking around who have not seen The Godfathers, Citizen Kane, Seven Samurai, It's a Wonderful Life, and the Wizard of Freakin' Oz????

Jon

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Jon_Are,

Not only is Elvis Costello in APII, but he sings "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" accompanied by Burt Bacarach on piano.

Anyone who has not seen any movie before 1950 or Casablanca in particular, get thee to a rental place immediately or better yet just buy it. It is easily one of the greatest films of all time and is very accessible, even to those used to todays blockbuster action movies. Any friend of mine who has said "I don't watch B&W movies, they're boring and slow" has been served up a big plate of crow after Casablanca. The only person I know who has seen it and not liked it was an acquaintance of mine who kept complaining about Ingrid Bergman's wardrobe (he was very fashion conscious, if you know what I mean). I think he was just having some fun with me 'cause he had pre-decided he was going to hate the movie and he was obviously overreaching for a critique by complaining about Ingrid Bergman!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I owned th 7th Seal and tried watching it a few times. It is a sad thing, but the grim reaper from 'the meaning of life' and 'Bill & Teds 2nd movie' has turned the movie into a comedy and I couldnt stop chuckling through it...so I traded it off.
I love the great dictator but couldnt watch chaplin's early stuff. I just didn't find it funny or interesting.
I have tried to watch Gone with the Wind but always fall asleep
Fellini -I have tried many times but after 10 minutes I would rather have dental surgery than watch more.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
be forewarned about Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the scene with Pheobe Cates emerging from the pool in that red bikini will bring you to your knees if your not expecting it and will stay with you until the day of your death.
One of the reasons I need to see it is because this scence is spoofed so much. I admit, I've scence movies I wasn't even interested in just so that I could get jokes.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
Arman - I've seen, and admired, many, many Hitchcock films. Just happened to miss N by NW. Also have seen Lawrence of Arabia (love it) and Bridge on the River Kwai (REALLY love it), but not yet Zhivago. It's on my list, though (I even own it).
i am sorry Arman's post just made me laugh for some reason

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Cees,

it wasn't really a matter of avoiding spoilers. That scene is so famous that it's now become part of our popular culture, one can't watch tv and be a big movie watcher without hearing of that scene at some point.

It's like the famous score from Jaws, one knows exactly what movie that's from even if they haven't seen it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

Yeah, it would be difficult to avoid that one.
But also, I tried to use the word "spoiler" in a slightly different way than usually - and exactly as approriate. :)

Cees

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Of the people who confessed, how old are you? I'm guessing you're all under 25.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen

Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
It's a Wonderful Life
Doctor Zhivago
Bridge on the River Kwai
Raging Bull
Balde Runner (never seen the whole movie)

I'm probably forgetting some. I am waiting for the special editions of Raging Bull (does anyone know when this is coming ?) and Blade Runner. I'll get around to the others eventually.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, how about under 30? At least for a few more months...

I only listed the two off the top of my head. Going down "AFI's top 100 US Films" - thus ignoring the world cinema in general! - I have not seen:

2. Casablance
4. GWTW
8. On the Waterfront
12. Sunset Blvd
13. Bridge on the River Kwai
14. Some Like it Hot
16. All About Eve
17. the African Queen
19. Chinatown
21. The Grapes of Wrath
23. the Maltese Falcon
26. Dr. Strangelove
27. Bonnie & Clyde
29. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
30. Treasure of the Sierra Madre

And that's just in the Top 30! It gets worse going down the list...

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen The Princess Bride.

OK, that's not entirely true. I saw it 7th grade on the last day of school. But I wasn't paying attention. So that doesn't count.

I haven't seen Office Space.

OK, THAT's not entirely true. I saw earlier this year on a bus. But I wasn't paying attention. And half-plastered. So that doesn't count either.

I haven't seen any Fellini nor Kurosawa (except The Seven Samurai). Or Traffaut. Or Hitchcock (except Rear Window).

And that's why I have Netflix!

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
You know...as a Bond fan, I find it a bit disturbing that some of you haven't seen A Bond film. Especially when they were on ABC during 2001, and now on TNN. I understand some of you have problems with the black bar, but dammit RENT! I reccomend From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, and On Her Majesty's Secret Service as some of your first viewing choices. Then you can view the others and decide if you like them.

Anyways, I haven't seen:
Citizen Kane
Laurence Of Arabia
North By Northwest
Casablanca

a lot of stuff from the 80's I haven't seen. Anyone have good 80's movie suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks