What's new

Hybrid DVD-A dead! (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Yep. And the CD layer you'd be ripping from SACD is not coming from a losslessly compressed algorithm, that's potentially been downmixed from > 2 channels to two channels.

That also ignores the possibility that you could easily capture the analog out of SACD and encode that.

Regards,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The DSOTM item is true and not a cruel April Fool's Joke, I wouldn't do that. The information is reliable as it came from one of the movers and shakers inside of EMI's DVD-Audio effort.
Wow, Thanks for the news Mark. I guess Sony's exclusive rights were for only a short period of time, or ony applied to SACD (as we see DSOTM coming out on Vinyl as well). The extras on a DSOTM DVD-A could be very very nice

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't care less if DVD-A makes hybrids or not. I can make a suitable CD from any DVD-A. The DD5.1 can be extracted and mixed down digitally to a CD. I can't do that with SACD, so a Hybrid is more important for SACD.
Seth, you still not address the thickness problems you posted about earlier pertaining to dual sided Hybrids. Mark who has first hand knowledge, has Hybrids that meet the Redbook CD spec for thickness. Do you have some other source provideing different information then Mark, or were you just purely speculating without any hard information?

J

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I personally don't care whether something is a hybrid or not regardless of format. I am buying it for the hi-rez. When I want music for the car I use a Pioneer Elite CD Recorder. For the most part, the only time I have listened to a store bought CD (or DVD) in the car is on the way home from the store. I have read some posts on other boards that the thickness of the flipper is just within spec of a CD and that some claim (I have not 1st hand knowledge) that some machines have had problems with it. Should be interesting to see what happens in the marketplace. With the fast pace growth of DVD-V software and hardware and the growing popularity of DVD-V players in cars, not to mention one can get a DVD-A player for the car and they will become more readily available, this actually could be a very bad thing if it does not work in a bunch of players. Hardware and software cos. will have to deal with customer complaints and could even be faced with legal action in the same manner their were lawsuits for certain DVD-V players that were unable to play certain things. I would hope that they have done thorough testing on many current and prior players, otherwise this could be literally more of a liability than a plus. I would also hope they invest in education (and good identification) about the format (at least to retail store sales people) otherwise some may return items and assume the software is faulty. Many stores only accept music returns of opened items for the same title and if someone has this happen a couple of times it certainly won't help generate consumer interest in the format. I'd certainly like to see more titles of hi-rez vs. having flippers.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Do you have some other source provideing different information then Mark, or were you just purely speculating without any hard information?
John and Justin,

I think you need to ease off a bit here. Seth saw an interesting article which all but implied DVDA hybrid was dead and Seth posted the article as a source. Any of you would have and have done the same in the past.

As it turns out, there is technology out there and the article was misguided. Perhaps the reporter was basing his story only on the Panasonic info and was mislead. I, for one, am glad Seth posted it because it provides additional insight into some of the production issues.

Let's not try to stop discussion when there are sourced articles behind the thread header. Perhaps in the future a title like "According to X, DVDA hybrids appear dead." would be more cautious, but I don't think attacking Seth in this manner is good Forum behavior.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I hate to pop your bubble Seth, but you CAN do that with sacd.
Oh yeah, and how is that going to work? How can I take a 5.1 channel SACD and digitally downmix it to a 2 channel CD? Please cite me the exact process and equipment needed to do it.

Seth

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Seth, I am sorry you are taking so much sh!t here. This is starting to look like an Audio Asylum rant! Hang in there, this sacd vs dvd-a is getting ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and how is that going to work? How can I take a 5.1 channel SACD and digitally downmix it to a 2 channel CD? Please cite me the exact process and equipment needed to do it.
On hybrids, I burn the cd layer to cdr's for car use. It is quite easy as long as your pc source is not a cd-dvd-rom.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
All SACD have a stereo track, so just use the stereo analog outputs on your SACD player to feed your CD burner. No need for a downmix.

J

Seth_L

Screenwriter
This implies outside information on thickness issues. Seth said flipper DVD-A was dead for now, which is a pretty big statement without inside information. Mark posted information that obviously disagreed with Seth, so I wondered if he had an outside source of some sort.
The original article says they're too thick. I was only referring to what was in the article. I don't have an sources.

If you didn't read the article closely please don't grill me on where I got my information from when the answer is right in front of your face.

Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
All SACD have a stereo track, so just use the stereo analog outputs on your SACD player to feed your CD burner. No need for a downmix.
My CDR drive is in my PC. I don't considering feeding an analog input into my PC a valid solution.

Seth

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
The only DVD-A disc I've had problems with has been a flipper, the AIX Nitty Gritty Surround. It won't play the DD/DTS side now.

Hopefully this is an exception.

Steve

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The only DVD-A disc I've had problems with has been a flipper, the AIX Nitty Gritty Surround. It won't play the DD/DTS side now.
Stephen,

That is a different type of flipper then what we are talking about here. Your flipper is a dual sided DVD-5 which meets DVD playback specs only, while the ones proposed would be a dual sided DVD-5/9 and a redbook layer which would have to meet the specs of each respective format. It sounds like you just got a defective disc, and should return it for a new disc.

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
What we need is what they used in "2001: A Space Odyssey": those holographic crystals HAL used for memory storage. And no more of this whirling plastic disc crap! :D

Speaking of whirling: anybody know how fast dvd's spin?

LJ

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I think DVDs spin at 1530 RPM when the laser is at the center and slows to 630 RPM when the laser is at the edge. Compare that with CDs which spin at 300 RPM at the center slowing to 100 RPM at the edge. Laserdiscs spin at a constant 1800 RPM for CAV discs, or from 1800 RPM slowing down to 600 RPM at the edge for CLV discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks