What's new

HTPC idea (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I am toying with this idea for building an HTPC.

I want to take a PC and put it away in a cabinet where it will be silent and hidden. From this PC, I want to run a USB2 cable through a wall to a remote unit in my HT rack which I will build out of an old gutted DVD player shell. Inside this shell, I will install a USB hub, to which I will connect a USB DVD-ROM drive, a USB wireless keyboard/mouse connector, and a VFD panel. For video and audio I can run a DVI & coax cable through the same wall.

Anybody done anything like this? Are USB2 DVD-ROMs fast enough for good video playback these days? Will I perhaps need to run two USB lines (one for the DVD-ROM, another for the other components)?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are USB cables limited to a certain distance? I don't think I've ever heard of one, but it's something you should look into. You might also consider firewire if your run is short enough -- while it is theoretically slower than USB2.0, it doesn't share its bandwidth like USB does.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting idea. I have a similar space, where I could put an HTPC behind a wall from the TV & receiver. My thought was to rip all my DVDs to the PC and only have a keyboard & mouse interface to control the PC with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks