1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF Review: What A Girl Wants (Highly Recommended)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Herb Kane, Jul 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What A Girl Wants

Studio: Warner Brothers
    Year: 2003
    Rated: PG
    Film Length: 105 Mins.
    Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
    Audio: DD 5.1
    Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

The Feature:
    This is definitely a pre-teen/teen feel good movie for girls. Daphne (Amanda Bynes) is a young girl who wishes year after year on her birthday that her father, Henry Dashwood (Colin Firth) would come to find her. Her mother Libby Reynolds (Kelly Preston) has told her the story of their romance and how they were separated due to her father’s aristocratic family. Finally, Daphne takes fate into her own hands on her 17th birthday and leaves her home in Chinatown NY to fly to London to find her father who is a political candidate for Prime Minister. Daphne is thrown into a whirlwind of garden parties and balls where she must fight to keep her own sense of who she is and be true to herself finding romance along the way. Throw in an interfering political advisor (Jonathan Pryce) with his own agenda, his daughter who is engaged to marry Henry Dashwood and a soon to be, extremely jealous, step-daughter just for fun and you’re left with a not so aristocratic family who try to dash the dream of the young girl. Daphne shakes the aristocracy to its very core and comes out a winner.

Audio:
    Simply put, the audio for this disc is terrific. At the start of the movie there is a brief narration and the dialogue is very clear. Much of the film is shot in a castle with creaky floors, large wooden doors and everything sounds very realistic. There are many social parties and the background noise is very apparent with good use of the surrounds. Another example of surround use is a good rain storm upon her arrival to England. There is moderate LFE which is apparent during a plane scene (landing in London) and during some music scenes. The movie is loaded with music which comes across as very clear and solid. Many of the introduction scenes are filled with classical music which is clear and very airy. This is a solid DD 5.1 mix which I was quite impressed with.

Video:
    Once again Warner has given us an outstanding transfer that is crystal clear and extremely sharp. The colors almost came alive as they were so incredibly vibrant. Contrast was very good with excellent black levels. As one would expect with a new release, I did not detect any video noise or dirt and no sign of any EE. The video presentation really doesn’t get much better than this.

Special Features:
    There are a number of special features which include:

-Commentary by Amanda Bynes
    -Commentary by Director Dennie Gordon
    - Commentary by Screenwriters Jenny Bicks --Fashion & Etiquette 101
    -What’s A Girl To Wear? (interactive fashion quiz)
    -Additional Scenes
    -Theatrical Trailer
    -Cast & Crew

Finally, I stumbled upon an easter egg (did I mention that I hate easter eggs?). When the top of the laurel leaf on the chair is highlighted in the Special Features section, you get a screen test for two teens (Peach & Pear) who appear in the movie.

Final Thoughts:
    While I’d never admit this to most of my friends or co-workers, I actually enjoyed the movie and I think most teens will as well. Warner has presented a solid disc with outstanding audio and video. Highly Recommended.

Release Date: August 5th, 2003

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

Never would I have thought that a movie like this would've garnered a "highly recommended" stamp of approval, but there it is. [​IMG] This movie was much better than I expected it to be, but I probably won't buy the DVD, as its presence in my collection might be too damaging to my ego if anybody other than myself were to spot it there. Nevertheless, it'll definitely get another look sometime in the near future. [​IMG] Thanks for the review!

3. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Well-Known Member

Awesome review. You've sold me on this disc! [​IMG] Is it in a snapper case?

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

After having just watched the Lizzie McGuire Movie, I think I could pretty much handle any pre-teen/teen-girl movie that comes my way. Glad to hear it was a fun film and a great transfer. I just may have to do a rental and check this one out.

Great job on the review!

dave [​IMG]

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Well-Known Member

6. Herb Kane

Josh:

7. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with Adam, some comments on the supplements would be a welcome addition to your reviews, Herb. I was thinking the same after reading the Casablanca review.

8. Herb Kane

Adam:

9. Adam Tyner

10. James Edward

James Edward Well-Known Member

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! [​IMG]

11. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Well-Known Member

I loved this movie and will buy it! I have a thing for british girls so anything involving people going there and jokes about differences between American English vs. English Englihs are a winner to me.

About the review, I agree with all that was said before, here's my suggestion (And that goes to other reviewers too) When stating the aspect ratio, it would be great to specify the existance of a wrong aspect ratio version using a format such as this:

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.35:1, a Pan & Scan 1.33:1 version is also available as a separate release, be sure to get the correct one.
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.35:1, a Pan & Scan 1.33:1 version is available on the other side of the disk
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.35:1, a Pan & Scan 1.33:1 version is available on the same side with a selection upon insert
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.35:1, a Pan & Scan 1.33:1 version is available on the other disk in the set
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.35:1, a Pan & Scan 1.33:1 version is available by setting your DVD Player in 4:3 Pan & Scan.

(Depending on which one applies)

12. DaViD Boulet

No mention of 16x9/anamorphic in any of those examples... [​IMG]

13. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Well-Known Member

Ah, yeah, I don't think of Anamorphic since I have a 4:3 screen (Which I sit rather close too since it's not filled hehe)

But what I meant, is that if a Foolscreen version is available to indicate it in your review so we know if we need to be careful upon purchase.

14. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Well-Known Member

Highly Recommended Teen Flick... I suppose that makes sense... we don't all live on an island, and it's refreshing that we look to find something that is highly recommended to add to our libraries, even if it *gasp* is for some OTHER member of our families.

Just cuz the majority of the HTF membership doesn't subscribe or endorse certain genres doesn't mean it isn't a great addition to the library.

Props for having the stones to stamp this with an approval rating!!!

Props again for not reviewing the film.

(The "Software Forum" is not the place for a review of the film. There are exceptions of course, such as new material and how it impacts on the original theatrical presentation.)

Suggestions:

1) If you are rushing a review out the door, perhaps place a disclaimer on it to warn the readership/membership that this is a "reader's digest" version.

2) (or is this 1a?) The film may sell itself. The kicker here is whether the presentation and additions put it over the top one way or the other. You'll find that's what we're looking for... "what do I get for my investment?"

Good job.[​IMG]

15. Luis A

Luis A Well-Known Member

I honestly have no desire to see this movie, but I did order it for my girls since they have their own little theater setup in their room.

Liked the review BTW.[​IMG]

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

17. Adam Tyner

18. DaViD Boulet

I definitely agree that the most important aspect of any DVD review on the HTF forum is to discuss the technical merits or short-comings of the disc. Was the image transfer up to par? Audio mixing/mastering? Extra features worth investigating?

However, as long as those objectives are met, I don't mind reading (or writing) a review of the film to compliment the review and make it more complete. Naturally it's just one person's opinion but as others have already mentioned it could always be skipped. If somone were to review *only* the movie then I agree 100% that this belongs in the "movies" section. But as long as a sanctioned review is being posted that covers all aspects of the disc...the inclusion of a "movie review" has more going for it than against it...often Ron's review of the *movie* was what prompted me to purchase many films that I had never had the chance to see prior.

Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

-dave

19. Herb Kane

20. Herb Kane