What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Village (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
I found this a very enjoyable film but it was not a suspense film in my opinion. Sure there are some suspenseful moments but I found it to be much more of a morality tale and at its heart, a love story.

After seeing Signs, which I went into expecting some sort of twist, and was ultimately disappointed with the film on first viewing. Subsequent viewings have made me appreciate the film much more. I went into the Village without any expectations for a twist ending or anything and didn't try to "figure it out", i just let it flow over me, let myself get immersed in the story and characters and the cinematography and the sound. And I was transported to a far simpler time, where love in a community meant something to people and there was rules to courtship etc etc.

Viewing the film on that level, I found this film truly amazing. The performances are subtle and realistic, there aren't any egos in this film. The ending was what I expected actually, given where the film was going. And I think the reveal was properly timed as this is not supposed to be a twist film or a suspense film, I think it really is a love story. And to be a love story, the reveal needed to be early to take the viewer out of that "what will happen next" mind frame. That is my opinion anyway.

AS far as seeing Unbreakable, ABSOLUTELY! Although I think the Sixth Sense is a better film, Unbreakable has a terrific premise and the acting is superb. HIghly underrated IMHO.

Thanks for the review.

Dave

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Interesting post, Dave>h. My reaction to The Sixth Sense, which I saw just once (when it was in theaters), was sort of similar. I knew there was some sort of "twist" coming, but I didn't know what it was, and I didn't try to figure it out. I think Shyamalan is a good enough filmmaker to keep you involved with the story without focusing on where any surprises are going to come from. Anyway, regarding Sixth Sense, although everyone remembers it now for the final twist, I thought the best part of the end, clearly more satisfying and rewarding than the twist (which was pretty good), was Cole's reconciliation with his mother when they were stuck in traffic. Now that was a powerful story-telling resolution.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Unbreakable came out much earlier than that -- probably in 2002, if not 2001. That January 2004 date is probably just a reissue or repricing.

Unbreakable is an underappreciated film -- definitely check it out!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
DaveH,

I really like your perspective on the film-review. I'm going to post your thoughts into the review narrative...

-dave

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

David,

If you are a fan of M. Nights work than run, don't walk, to pick-up a copy now! Unbreakable is arguably M. Night's best film, and at the very least on an enjoyment level that leaves it equal to The Sixth Sense. For myself, I feel Unbreakable exists as one of the most clever Super Hero films made to date; this includes the performances, the writing, and the way in which it is shot. I've always been a fan of both Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson...and here these two are at their best.

All that being said, thanks for a great review. I haven't seen The Village yet and this type of thread is exactly what I needed to send me out to pick-up this title. Just a peek at the cast is impressive.

Some film writers have criticized M.Night for being over- rated as a film maker. It seems to me the Mr.Shyamalan’s best work is yet to come as he continues to learn and grow as a director.

H

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Great review.

I saw this at the theater and I was only a little disappointed. It was billed as such a suspense movie ala 6th Sense that I stupidly went in with expectations. That always backfires on me. The same thing happened with The Mummy. None of the commercials led me to believe that it was as much of a comedy as it was. I love it now, but it left a bad taste at the time.

I remember the amazing cinematogrophy at the theater for The Village and with David's review of the picture and sound, I'll be grabbing a copy.

My wife is still paranoid about

keeping our security screen door locked to keep someone from forcing their way in
as in Unbreakable. I still would have to go with...

1. 6th Sense
2. Signs
3. Unbreakable
4. Village

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Let me say that I think Signs is his best work, and while I am not a fan of his others, I still think they are technically and artistically profficient(except The Village). But I think Shymalan is getting a little too full of himself. The Village is yet more self-indulgence from a very over-confident man. I think he's at that point that a lot of directors get to where he thinks ANYTHING he does will be interesting.

I think this film represents a regression for Shymalan as he really screwed up tension building and resolution. In his other films, he had a distinct skill in really laying on the tension and relieving it just as well. Here, I see none of that. He kinda just plops the monster (and I mean monster figuratively) down on the screen and says, "see, that's supposed to be scary". Nothing about this film gave me any kind of chill or ill-feeling or anything. In fact, I think this film is just plain boring.

The ending was also predictable, poorly executed His cameo was completely self-indulgent not to mention useless and unnecessary
, and plain uninspired.

I think Shymalan is milking the surprise/twist ending for all of it's worth and it is getting to be gimmicky and amateurish. Is this all he is capable of? He needs to actually try something different for a change.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Another great review; I'm glad to hear the video quality is much improved over other recent B.V. titles. I missed this one in theaters, put I'll probably give the disc a spin.

I have to agree with you on this. I think Signs and Unbreakable showed that Night is a writer/director who can tell a great story without having to resort to a twist ending. I hope his next film stretches his creative and storytelling potential.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Mark me as one who liked the film. I am one who will freely admit that I dont have the most discerning tastes when it comes to movies, but if it entertains it usually gets pretty good marks. I dont think this movie is too predictable. Actually, I shouldnt say that, because I whispered one of the key "secrets" to my wife about 5 minutes in, but the point is, I could just have easily been wrong, and the only reason I said something so silly is that it was an M. Night movie. It really didnt prevent me from enjoying the film. It was a random guess and I happened to be right. I'm also very surprised that people dont find this movie to be scary. I mean, what is going through your mind when the monsters come into the village? "Gee it will be quite interesting to see what happens if one of the people get grabbed by the monster. I wonder what will happen" I mean that part scared the crap out of me. I was totally tense.
Oh well. Different strokes.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I have mixed feelings on The Village. I went nuts waiting for this film and I was disappointed to hear the negative reviews going into it.

I liked it. I will probably like it better the 2nd time I see it.

I have never been to a movie like this one with the audience leaving the theater being split. Half of them loved it and the other half hated it.

I rank it tied for 2nd in his films.
1. Signs
2 The Village
The 6th Sense
Unbreakable.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Justin:

1. Signs
2. The Village (In a close second)
3. The Sixth Sense (In a not so close 3rd)
I haven't seen Unbreakable

That's the way I see it.

I loved The Village and I think one of the biggest reasons I enjoyed it was that I NEVER tried to guess anything while watching the movie. I sat back and enjoyed. I didn't see the first twist coming and I sure as heck didn't see the 2nd twist coming. To anyone who has yet to see it, JUST WATCH IT! Don't speculate and don't be an investigator and try to search for the twists. Just be what M. Night wants us to be: an audience

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just got finished watching and i'm still not sure if i think it's good or not.

i think the extra scenes in the woods that happened near the pit with two of the characters was unneeded.
i know they explained near the why that was part of the future of the village but that could have been left out too.

i guess knowing what is going on since i saw it before makes it easier to take the way it ends.

as someone else aked, were you not scared when watching this the first time.

i wasnt scared but i sure was on the edge of my seat with anticipation for what would be the ultimate outcome of who those they did not speak of were.

this was were i was majorly dissapointed.
all the subtle hints i was seeing was leading to someting else.
i guess since it tricked me, that was good, but what it turned out to be compared to what i was expecting was bad.

now for the sound, it was spectacular.
especially in the forest.
the sounds of creatures were coming from everywere.
although there really wasnt much use of the rear center surround.

the picture was not so great.
i saw some EE or thats what it looked like to me.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

I am the same way. I never realized it until college 5 years ago when my roommate would just crap all over every movie he watched. He would crap over his favorite movies as well. I hardly ever hate movies unless they really pick at me. My old roommate would see a movie, love it, and then when it came out on DVD he would hate it.

I just like to be entertained. Which explains why I am one of the few who liked Alexander and have seen it 3 times.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I do have one question about the film that I didn't totally understand:

Ok at the end when all of the elders stand up, what exactly does that mean? Also is there supposed to be any signifigance to the last line of the film where Ivy says "I'm back" or something similar?

I really appreciate it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
reading too much into that last line.

but all standing up means all together

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Ok thanks Tony. I guess since the last line of Signs ment so much to me, I didn't know if I missed something in this one.

And by the way I know it ment all together, but I wasn't 100% sure if that ment they were going to stay in the Village and keep it a secret or let everyone know that the monsters were fakes.
But after going back over it, I'm pretty sure I understand now.

I appreciate it man.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
David

I'll go against the grain and recommend that you save two hours of your life and skip Unbreakable, or Unbearable as I like to refer to it as.

I thought it was a horribly dull, pretentious piece of shit, easily Shyamalans worst film. Ymmv.

However I enjoyed The Village very much and look forward to his next film. Thanks for the review.

....Unbreakable...Ugh!;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've seen people say pretentious, but had to look up what it actually means.

1.Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.

2.Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

adj 1: making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition" [ant: unpretentious] 2: intended to attract notice and impress others; "an ostentatious sable coat" [syn: ostentatious] [ant: unostentatious] 3: of a display that is tawdry or vulgar [syn: ostentatious, kitsch]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks