What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Incredibles -- INCREDIBLY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Except that Kevin Conran succeeded in making a pretty good mix with "Sky Captain". On a technical level, the integration of the people with the CG backrounds was probably as good as it gets.

While I kinda understand Zemeckis' decision, the problem when you try to be too realistic with human appearance, is that it is difficult to get it right and people notice that difference. That's a big problem with both "The Polar Express" and "Final Fantasy".

David: Got your E-mail. Will reply soon.

Jason

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
While I kinda understand Zemeckis' decision, the problem when you try to be too realistic with human appearance, is that it is difficult to get it right and people notice that difference.

True, but then all animation is unreal in some aspect. Worked for me.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Oh, man. Those screenshots are gorgeous. I can't believe I have to wait another whole week for this! I'm more excited about this DVD than my seven-year-old is...is there something wrong with me?!?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm getting The Incredibles on street date.

Oddly enough, the DVD will be the first time I get to see the film in its full 2.39:1 aspect ratio. The theater I saw it at cropped it to 2:1. :frowning:

I felt that Sky Captain worked because the live-action footage was so stylized (shadowy, sepia toning, softened). Since both the CGI elements and the live-action were so stylized, everything came together.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to get this. Here in Canada at Futureshop, the pre-order comes with a really cool tin, similiar to the Walt Disney Treasure tins.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I wonder when David will run out of adverbs... Just wondering about possibilities for future reviews:

ULTIMATELY RECOMMENDED!
EXCESSIVELY RECOMMENDED!
ORGASMICALY RECOMMENDED!
UNFORTUNATELY RECOMMENDED!

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That picture of them at the table in particular was awesome. The others seemed a little short on fine detail, but I can't tell if that's the additional compression on the JPG or not.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
What you see is what you get on the DVD. I was careful of the jpeg compression and the images are compressed only to the point where you don’t see a noticeable degrade by the naked eye.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

Funny how they can reject Andy Serkis for contention in best actor based on Gollum being computer animated, even though the animation was so heavily rooted in his actions. Then they reject Polar Express for animation on those same grounds.

I guess there is just a gray area between live action and animation that the Academy just doesn't know what to do with. Although if we are going down that route, I guess any actor with heavy makeup should also be lumped into that catagory, since the realization of that character would be very dependant on people other than the actor as well.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
Hey David, regarding the weak surround use (or subtle), when i saw it in theaters, the mix was anything but low or subtle (especially the scene where the boy hero (sorry, forgot name), runs around the room when the parents get into an argument. its the scene that they use alot for the award shows.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
For example if you look at around the ice on the left, you see compression artifacts. That already exists in the DVD.

terence

Supporting Actor
Great review David, and thread guys!:emoji_thumbsup:

I seen the Hollywood screener 2 weeks ago (twice) and David you are 110% correct about the sound and picture! It look outstanding on my 88" screen, and the overall sound was well balanced. The bass was very clean (tight) and very loooow! The scene when he battles the robot for the first time, all I have to say is WOW! The bass is intense and sure to please, especially you guys who love sub-sonic bass below 20Hz. One of the best stories easy I have seen animated, defiantly aim more at adults but w/ a kid appeal. I can't wait until next Tuesday to pick this baby up, can you say New Demo disc anyone?!

Sam great screen shots!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Although if we are going down that route, I guess any actor with heavy makeup should also be lumped into that catagory, since the realization of that character would be very dependant on people other than the actor as well.

I disagree -- an actor with heavy make-up is still the sole performer, the make-up alters his appearance and inspires his performance, but at the end of the day, the actor is the sole person responsible.

Gollum in the LOTR film was motion-captured, but had extensive movement and performance tweaks provided by a team of animators. Although Tom Hanks provided motion and acting beats, his work was still adjusted and tweaked and shaped by a team in post-production, depending on the shot or scene we're talking about.

It's not mere make-up, we're just not there yet.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Just want to throw this out to anybody that's planning on buying this DVD at Best Buy:

I got a "Rewards Zone" flyer in the mail the other day touting a special lithograph that will be given to Rewards Zone members when they purchase the DVD. Doesn't sound like much but, hey, if you're looking for a freebie...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood the appeal of lithographs. Hell, I can print out DVD screen shots all day long if I want to...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks