What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Incredibles -- INCREDIBLY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I see that Future Shop in Canada is offering a tin box for those that preorder. I was getting one anyway and decided to go with the offer. Is anyone else bothering with this?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Got mine today from my online etailer.

Dave and Ernest your continuing contributions here are treasured by me. Dave - thanks for the great review of this film - one of my favourite of all time. Ernest your knowledge of animation seems to know no bounds and between this and the Bambi thread I consider myself fortunate to be treated such wonderous information.

Thanks to both of you. What a great double bill this makes. My five year old and I regularly watch the original Jonny Quest episodes together and the Incredibles is like a very close cousin.

Shawn C

Screenwriter

Yep! That's where dual CS-Ultras comes in handy! :D

Fantastic movie, my son loved it even more the second time around. He has been talking about this movie ever since he first saw it in the theater. Every time we drive past the theater..."Incredibles! moobie theater!!" As soon as I opened the box that came in the mail yesterday, "INCREDIBLES DBD!"

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
Bought my copy today! (Widescreen, of course), Also picked up Lost in Tranlation for $10.
Along with picking up Mary Poppins 2-disc set for $12, this a great week for DVD buying ;)

Just Finished it, Loved it!! the Jack-Jack attack was great too, so many powers for such a little guy :) I'll watched with the commentary tommorow

Best DVD of 2005, so far!!

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Picked this up this morning and enjoyed it just as much this time as the several times I saw it in theaters. It's a wonderful addition to my collection. I did have a few comments and/or quibbles, though:

1. I love the introduction on the first disc where Bird gently tells everybody that they really ought to be watching a properly calibrated TV. A very cool touch.

2. Hey! What happened to the custom Pixar THX intro? I liked those, dammit!

3. I don't expect anyone here will know the answer to this one, since we're all OAR freaks, but I thought I'd toss the question out anyway. When "A Bug's Life" came out, there was a fairly big deal made about the fact that the fullscreen version had been specially recomposited and re-edited to lessen the impact of pan-and-scan. I never saw it mentioned in any of Pixar's films since, but it occurred to me that in a Cinemascope-ratio film like "Incredibles", something like that would be almost essential. Anybody know if they did any special digital tricks with this one to make the foolscreen edition more palatable?

Great film, great sound, great video -- a top notch addition to my collection.

cheers,
Phil

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
As I posted in another thread, Disc 2 of the DVD is Easter Egg city. On most of the animated menus, just wait for a bit and eventually a little OmniDroid Robot will appear in the top right of the screen. Hit the -> key and press enter for the Easter Egg. This process takes a while on a couple of the menu pages, so just be patient. I'll post the full list of EEs here later on tonight.

Most of them are very silly, so far nothing as good as the alternate version of "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2.

Oh, one more note. On the making of doc, it is mentioned how Brad Bird was concerned about weight and animating characters to give a sense of weight. Brad Bird - who was an apprentice under legendary Disney animator Milt Kahl - showed a clip from Walt Disney's The Jungle Book, and -- I still can't believe this -- one of the Pixar animators who couldn't remember (or pronounce) the names of the Jungle Book characters says that at first he wasn't interested in seeing this footage because "They're the past and we're the future" but finally admitted that there were things to learn from studying the animation.

Yep, I just about fell out of my chair.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
THE INCREDIBLES EASTER EGGS (Disc Two)

MAIN MENU
-- "Buttons and Door" (a montage of all the buttons and doors designed for the movie, cut together with an explosion after each image)

BEHIND THE SCENES*
-- "Tribute to Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston" (Bird pays homage to the 'old school' animation icons, who are seen gibing story notes on the movie after Bird screened a rough cut for them)
-- "Markisms" (Montage of Pixar story man Mark being silly)

PUBLICITY*
-- "Fighting for the Remote: Frozone and Bob"
-- "Fighting for the Remote: Bob and Dash"

DELETED SCENES
-- Dash Antagonizes His Teacher (basically explains why Dash was putting tacks on his teahcer's chair)

SET UP
-- The Incredibles as told with Sock Puppets (its as silly as it sounds)

INDEX
Page One -- Pixar animator stuffs mouth with cake and says line of dialogue
Page Two -- A Pixar employee rides a rail scooter through the hallways and is beaned by a large red ball

Did not find any easter eggs on the "Top Secret" or "Boundin" menus.

* clicking the robot will give you one of these two Easter Eggs. If you don't get the one you're looking for, just repeat the process and eventually you'll get it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

i bought mine at a FS store today and they gave me the tin at the checkout - i didn't even know about it till they handed it to me :P

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ernest - you're missing two more easter eggs on Disc 2, and one on Disc 1. Try Page One of the Index and the Set Up menu a couple more times. And on Disc 1, be patient on the Commentaries menu. :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it and absolutely loved the movie. This is clearly one of Disney/Pixars best movies. I love Toy Story and TSII has video I think is damn near perfect, but the Incredibles is very, very good and the movie content really worked. Probably one Disney's best.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
The audio is truly superb. Your review is spot on.

How much do you wanna bet that Skywalker Sound is responsible for yet another transfer? If so, they have overcome their boomy bass compressin system from ROTK.

Is anyone ELSE noticing that Skywalker Sound has been adding a height component, or y axis component, to the sound? The sound not only moves right to left, forward and backward, but up and down! They have been doing this since ROTK. In a propertly configured speaker system, when the Nazgul attack Minas Tirith you should be able to quite clearly hear them coming from above and below during that first flyover. I notice the same effect just in the first few minutes of this transfer. I'll try to remember an example for another post.

As for the surrounds, the highest compliment I can give them is that they seem to be acoustically related to the front three speakers.

Basically, if this IS in fact Skywalker Sound, can we all agree that they are now the masters of DVD mixing?

The EE & slight filtering did detract from the picture for me.

I cannot WAIT for Bluray with 10bit color space on this one... I don't know how it can get better!!!

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't Boundin' orignally shown in 2.35-1? Other than that I have no complaints with this disc. Wonderful film, wonderful DVD.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that Cars preview in 16x9, whereas Chicken Little in 4:3..

anyway, movie is incredible as promised, but what killed me was the clutch-cargo "Top Secret" discovered animation on Disc2. I laughed my a** off!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Great to hear all your comments. Ernest, as usual your contributions are substantial and very welcome!

Tony, thanks for noticing this too. I've done some more critical A/B and I'm convinced that I'm not seeing things...there is indeed some slight filtering of the feature film. Still an excellent mastering job to be sure...but compared to the images on disc 2 it's slightly softened. Also, the Boundin' feature on Disc two exhibits a sharper, cripser, 3-dimensional effect as well. I've noticed this before with special feature content on other Disney discs...the bonus material is rarely HF filtered giving it more depth and clarity than the feature-length program.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I noticed that too about Chicken Little. Certainly on the Bambi Disc the trailer filled my widescreen t.v.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure 1.85:1 is the OAR for Boundin. Pixar is not the kind of company to butcher their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks