What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I don't get a chance to post too often anymore, but I had to make an appearance in this thread.
For years, ON MOONLIGHT BAY and BY THE LIGHT were on my dvd wishlist, and I feared they would never be released in this format.
I will certainly be buying this.

I am also a fan of GREAT FEELING and TEA FOR TWO and hope they make it out of the vault some day.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I thought it was a labelling mistake, because it says "Presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of it's original theatrical exhibition". Plus, since they've used the U.S. cover art, the tag line at the bottom says "Doris Day and CinemaScope never had it so good!". So either way it is erroneous, and misleading packaging.

Oh, but they did include the new 5.1 dolby digital track! Why bother? They should've just converted the VHS to DVD...

This is just craziness, I know Warner copped a lot when they released a lot of NTSC transfers in Australia (Citizen Kane for example!), but using a pan and scan PAL transfer, instead of a new widescreen NTSC transfer is a joke.

In more pleasent news, I picked up the 2 disc Robin Hood for $8.83. I haven't watched it yet, it will probably be widescreen...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I neglected to mention this in my review, but all of the titles from the box set are also available as individual R1 NTSC releases in standard keepcases.

Regards,

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I just checked this out on my old Laserdisc. Interestingly enough the shot was also Black & White (obviously lifted from another movie to cut costs) but it was less noticeable because it was tinted red (sepia-tone). Also of note, the silent movie clips the boy watches in the nickelodean, while pure black & white on the DVD, are blue tinted on the laserdisc!

I'm always amazed when I pull out one of my laserdiscs to do a comparison to a newly remastered DVD, how night and day the differences in quality are. The LD is faded and soft, whereas the DVD is razor-sharp with brilliant color.

Corey

Screenwriter
is there any way doris day will do commentary on her next batch of films?? i want to see her now so bad or have a featurette.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Does anyone have these new R1s of "On moonlight Bay" and "By the light..." and also the UK R2s that were released this time last year (in the UK HMV exclusive 'Doris Day boxset #2') and if so have they compared the transfers?

I'm just wondering if I should get the R1s as they are two of my favorite films. I'm not sure but I reckon the UK dvds were from the same masters that would've been used for previous vhs releases but I really can't be sure, so if anyone has both could they maybe post a comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks