What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Team America: World Police (Unrated Version) (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I thought it was Harry Gregson-Williams. :confused:

It was good music, though. At times it was quite a bit better than the stuff it was spoofing.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
In context with your whole review you neither tried nor aimed to be humorous with this, no wonder everyone "missed" it.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
This might have been mentioned before, but the unrated version is really offensive.

During the sex scene the puppets go through a "golden shower" AND defecation.

I don't mind gross out jokes, but that was just plain filthy. I couldn't watch the end of the movie.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I agree it's filthy, but I just don't understand the rationale that those sex acts, which are between two consenting characters, are unacceptable but seeing Susan Sarandon literally liquified into a pool of blood after falling from a balcony is completely fine.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, if I may say something here, I finally picked this (unrated version) up on Wednesday and just finished watching it with my brother. Now, I have seen some pretty sick shit in my 32 years on this planet, but none as bizarre and utterly twisted as this! :eek:

Is this good or bad? Both, but mostly bad. It will take weeks if not months for me to stop having nightmares about that sex scene! We were laughing at it, but not because it was funny, but from sheer shock at what we were seeing with our own eyes! Two little plastic people girating and....(((((SHUDDER!!!!)))))

The film is about 97% sick and vulgar and only the remaining 3% was actually funny. The vulgarity I can deal with , to an extent, after awhile it was being vulgar for the hell of it with no rhyme or reason for it.

What I say next may make some angry at me, but I must say it for honesty's sake, Trey Parker and Matt Stone are truly and utterly without talent, harsh I know, but this is how I feel. To them "F**k this and F**k that!" equals funny, and in most comedies it does, but they take it waaaaayyyy too far.

Far be it for me to play the stuffed shirt role, but ths film was pure trash, it was visually striking because of the puppets and miniature sets, but trash nontheless. I had thought i'd seen it all and that nothing could phase me...I was wrong on both counts.

Great image quality and 5.1 though. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Greg,
if it were a straight parody as films like Airplane, Top Secret and Hot Shots 1 & Deux were, it would have been great, I love a good parody. They poke innocent fun at their prospected targets.

Parker and Stone however have a genuine hatred for the people they are parodying in the film that makes the proceedings take a nasty turn towards the mean side of things.

Plus, as I said, the film was just down right sick.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
john i think you were on target with your opinion of the movie.
you expanded on what i posted, "if it didnt have "puppets" and all the cursing i dont think there would have been too much to this movie."

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

What's your point. That's like saying "There wouldn't be too much to 'Star Wars' if you take away the spaceships, lasers and aliens".

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't want to speak for him, Bill, but what I think he means is the film as it stands right now is just a vulgar mess BUT rendered just this side of special because it's with puppets rather than people, that is it's only "hook". If the same film had been done with human actors, we would be left only with just a vulgar mess without the delight of seeing puppets.

Is this correct, Tony?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
my point.
take out the puppets and put people in and there is no movie or it's unwatchable.

with puppets, at least it has that to keep you interested until it becomes over the top unfunny and pointlessly vulgar.
plus if you take the lasers, ships and aliens out of star wars it still could have a pretty interesting story, because all that isnt just a gimmick.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

If the same film had been done with human actors, you'd be watching a John Waters film.

Who tied you to the chair, taped open your eyelids and forced you to watch anyway?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:rolleyes

Is it even possible to have a decent conversation here anymore?

I have very rarely turned off a film half way through, and since it was my first time I wanted to finish it, and as I said there were sporadic funny moments in it.

I watched it, and what I have written is my opinion of it, that's pretty much how personal reviews work.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

Funny, that's exactly what I thought of, Pink Flamingoes, how everybody was *sooooo* disgusted by it when it came out. And now it's nothing. OK, it's still a bit gross if you're sensitive, but that was real people doing the same thing. Obviously these people here didn't watch PF. Sometimes what was disgusting 30+ years ago is accepted as the "norm" today, sometimes it's not... (I don't like this kind of behavior myself, but laugh now as I did then, it takes all types, etc...)

Now where's my damn disk, I ordered it online before the release date and still waiting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Craig, Divine ate dog crap! I've shown that part to tons of people and none of them considered it 'nothing' (and I don't know no nuns:)

I still get queasy every time I watch that part of Pink Flamingos (and that's what I love about it!)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Lawrence X's words bear repeating, IMO:

If you can't grasp that stuff, then yes, it's just a bunch of vulgar jokes.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

I ignored that comment the first time...

But, as I did mention in response to other people's comments, humor is one of the more personal emotions. I have as much a right to dislike it as you have to like it. It's got nothing to do with being "eluded" by anything.

And if "subtlety" is a word you would use to describe this brand of humor, I'd hate to see "over-the-top." Harsh language and bodily excretions are not the tools of comic geniuses. They are the tools of hacks who can't get a laugh any other way than the gross-out joke. When you're incapable of sophisticated humor, you go for the guttural response. You know... the gag reflex that sort of escapes as an uncomfortable laugh.

That's my opinion of this "subtle" humor - and I'm sticking with it. Nuff said.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks