What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Team America: World Police (Unrated Version) (1 Viewer)

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know anything about them personally, but all Arabs ARE depicted as terrorists in TA. The more educated will see irony in this, but it also plays nicely into the hands of the unsophisticated who pretty much believe this to be true anyway courtesy of Fox News and most other prowar media outlets.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Then maybe your analysis of the film is not quite on a par with their intentions, considering they are quite libertarian/conservative with their politics. Of course, they may not be as "educated" as some and thus unconciously injected irony into their film to satisfy some deeply repressed "progressive" inner child.

Remember, please, this is a film MADE WITH PUPPETS!!!

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The characters in the film that were terrorists were not Arab. They were puppets, which are not alive and are not considered humans by most people.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wow has this gotten totally ridiculas?

of course they were puppets.
so what.

many actors in movies arent even the race or nationality they are playing in the movie either.

this thread has gottten stupid.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
lol, anywaysssssssss...

Loved the special features. They were all very informative, and worth watching. Great stuff!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Scott, where did you hear them say that they think they can do it better? I've seen them make fun of the poor voicing and animation in South Park numerous times.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator

Either Parker or Stone says that in one of the extras. It was clearly tongue-in-cheek, but apparently the reviewer missed that.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Apparently, my sardonic humor is as lost on some as Parker and Stone's humor is on me... though, for the record, I understand the satire. It's the other "humor" that just doesn't do anything for me.

-Scott

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

While I don't agree entirely with your negative opinion of the film I do agree with this, how anyone can see this film as being absolutely pro anything is beyond me.....of course there IS a final moral rap-up at the end as in South Park that is rather telling of their feelings about America's presumed role/label as World Police, however in the end (IMO) they lean all over the place (Libertarian-esk if not total Libertarian) in their political humor.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I loved their solution to the apparently insurmountable problem of creating puppet panthers! that scene alone was worth the purchase price to me.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Yeah, that panther scene was one of the funnier ones for me.:D

I watched the DVD today and I enjoyed the movie. And I have to say the review of the DVD is right on. The picutre was very good, but the sound didn't reach its potential. There was some decent LFE during explosions, but the surround activity was very minimal. I know it's just a comedy with puppets, but better sound could've improved the movie even more.

I'm not really a "Special Features" type, but the ones included with this movie were pretty good and held my interest all the way through. There was a lot more work put into this film than I thought.

Overall, this movie still made me laugh, even though it's the third time for me! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I must say that the movie as a whole left me underwhelmed but now I can't get that sweet "going into action" theme song out of my head -- "America, f*** yeah!" I especially liked when they slowed down the tempo for the mandatory emotional scene.

The movie hit me the same way as most "South Park" episodes -- very brief moments of spot-on humor surrounded by a lot of gross-out filler material.

When I was at Costco yesterday they had all of the "Team America" DVDs shelved with the kiddie movies. I'm curious as to how many unsuspecting parents bought copies for their kids without reading the packaging. That would make for some interesting family viewing.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
The extras are really good on this disc--the amount of work that went into the film is staggering. I know it's hard to muster much sympathy for Hollywood millionaires, but I did feel kinda bad for them as I watched all the loving craftsmanship and enthusiasm that went into making the film, only to have it bomb pretty badly at the box office.

I am getting very tired of the splitting up of what should be one long documentary into little 8-10 minute bites. I know why the studios do it but it doesn't make it any less irritating.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I read something about the "Hannibal" DVD that said studios are reluctant to put a long documentary on a DVD because the participants get paid at rates appropriate of a feature if a certain length is reached, but cutting it down into multiple different documentaries and including a "play all" option (which isn't available on "TA:WP") is basically a loophole.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

More Specifically, I believe that any individual video based feature that is over 30min in length falls outside of what is considered promotional material. Then you get into territory where participants need to be paid as described.

I thought I even read somewhere that the "Play All" function had started to come under scrutiny as well, as it essentual turns featurettes into a full length doc in many cases (look at the timers on your player for many "play all" features as they will literally combine the length of all featurettes into one)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I checked the disc on my computer, and the extras run a couple minutes LONGER than the actual movie! Don't get me wrong, it was interesting, but still seems like overkill.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And always remember....

I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the mark,
When he made Pearl Harbor.
I miss you more then that movie missed the point,
And that’s an awful lot girl.
And now, now you've gone away,
And all I'm trying to say,
Is Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school,
He was terrible in that film.
I need you like Cuba Gooding needed a bigger part,
He's way better then Ben Affleck.
And now all I can think about is your smile,
And that shitty movie too,
Pearl Harbor sucked and I miss you

(Interlude)

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies.
I guess Pearl Harbor sucked,
Just a little bit more then I miss you.

:emoji_thumbsup: :)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
That was also a great soundtrack. :D A lot of great orchestral music by James Newton Howard went too quietly in the background of TA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks