What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Team America: World Police (Unrated Version) (1 Viewer)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

I won't even go into Matt and Trey's real political leanings here. But watch the movie and see for yourself.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forgett that the "real target" was Bruckheimer, and his style of action movies he produces.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
I put "as an englishman", because I can understand the irony of "America F... Yeah" after they have destroyed a city and the satire and double-layer jokes film in general when watched with an international perspective. And I hate to say it, but I don't think the pseudo-destruction of Paris was meant as a parody of a film, Bruckheimer or otherwise, instead more real life events...

And as for Micheal Moore not liking it, they ripped it out of George Clooney & Matt Damon too and they both loved the film!

M

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
Being English, you're watching from less of an 'international perspective' than just about any other non-American. England's support for the Iraq war was unique in terms of International action, casting the UK's lot with the Americans and away from the rest of Europe (and rest of the world). Point is, ole chap, you've got as much blood on your hands as we do. So don't tell me about international perspective.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Quote "Point is, ole chap, you've got as much blood on your hands as we do"

I don't recall ever saying that wasn't the case! Was merely making an observation on satire and irony in the film that seem's to have been taken totally out of context - mainly due to the fact that certain posters didn't seem to get the irony in the film or even watched it!

Wasn't ever intending to be political or nationalistic so that end's my participation in this discussion.

M

TedT

Second Unit

Perhaps you shouldn't see it. You may find it quite insulting! It's quite a different movie than what you may think it is.

Loved the movie. Will be picking this up later today for sure!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Wow, talk about not having the faintest idea of what a movie is actually about. I know you have not seen the movie, but trust me, Matt and Trey are never putting out a "satire of the American war machine". Satire of the French, Bruckheimer films, Hollywood anti-war types, the Thunderbirds, terrorists, and communist dictators that profess a love for show tunes - Well, that's another thing entirely!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Ummm... I did see the film, and that would be one of the many things that they satirize. You don't think the destruction of Paris and Cairo satirizes the notion that the U.S. can't seem to find a valid target and lashes out blindly, downplaying "collateral damage?" You don't think that placing an actor in a position of gathering human intelligence satirizes the lack of reliable "human" intelligence gathering?

I'm not coming down on one side or the other on the war effort, here, or making commentary on the specifics of the notions I just outlined (beyond stating that those ideas exist) - HTF is not the place for political discussion - but to say that the film doesn't satirize the "War Machine" is to show a blind spot in your perception.

-Scott

Jace_A

Second Unit
The movie certainly satirises American foreign policy under Bush. It's what saves the movie from being a rather simplistic (not to mention obvious and, in my opinion, tedious) left-bashing polemic.

TedT

Second Unit
I think it more satirises what certain people THINK is the American foreign policy under Bush (and even more so, Clinton!)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Let's just say they make fun of the extremes of both sides and leave it at that.

But they save the most venom for Bruckheimer.

Has anybody watched the deleted scenes? Once again, M&T rip on Affleck. Make sure not to miss the storyboards either, for some extra deleted stuff.

Even without commentaries, a great disc!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Bought the theatrical cut.

Excellent supplements! In spite of all the frustration Matt & Trey probably experienced making this film, I still think they pulled off great satire, and took the stuffing out of Bay, Bruckheimer, American foreign policy, self-serving actors, and...

"Matt Damon!!"

This should have been the Thunderbirds movie!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Rented the unrated version. I thought it was pretty funny. There were some moments that had me laughing out loud.

However, the infamous "unrated" part was probably just as well left out. I believe I read somewhere that it was just put there to distract the MPAA from other material, and that Parker actually didn't even want to put it on the DVD. Stone then talked him into it. Of course, I don't know how much truth is in that story.

Also, for those who saw the theatrical version...

Is the extended projectile vomiting in the theatrical version?

I have to admit I was laughing at that, but it probably wasn't really needed, either.

If I do buy this, I'll probably go with the R-rated one. Normally, I'd prefer the unrated version, but in this case, I have a feeling the theatrical cut might work better. It's not that I was that offended by those two bits; they just seemed to stick out, since there weren't a lot of other "gross-out" gags (unless you count all the puppet body parts flying around).

They do it all the time on South Park, so it doesn't seem as out of place there.

Team America's satirical stuff (of all the sides) had me rolling, though.

Thanks for the review, Scott, and for being fair. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I still think the funniest bit is that they portrayed Damon that way only because when they got the puppet back it looked retarded. :D

Is the extended sex scene the only bit that was extended? Everything else appeared like in the theatre (from what I could tell, including the long vomit scene).

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Let me say that I have a new appreciation for the film after looking at the very informative and entertaining featurettes. Anyone who rents or buys the film should definately check them out.

I, for one, think that the Unrated cut is the way to go. I think the added part of the sex scene fits in perfectly and I wish it could have put in the theatrical cut of the film.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I was feeling sorry for the reviewer as I went through his contrarian review. Another reviewer who's completely eluded by irony, subtlety and more esoteric humor.

Well after seeing the movie, I almost completely agree with Mr. Kimballs' review. The humor was less funny, and the politics less brave than I had imagined.

Politically, everyone's happy almost. There's an irony filter that progressives are supposed to see in the literal pro Bush administrations stereotypes. But the irony is thin enough that it would be missed entirely by someone not looking for it - including Fox news luddites that will be tickled pink by the racism and war mongering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks