What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Scarface: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Quote from imdb:
Brian DePalma had to revise the film several times to receive an R rating. However, he says that after an R rating was approved, he released the original cut to theatres and not the edited version necessary to get the R rating.
I take it all subsequent home video releases are the R rated version? If so, are any of these censorship edits included in the deleted scenes? Universal are quick to release unrated versions of a certain teen comedy series that shall remain nameless, yet a modern classic such as Scarface doesn't get the same treatment?
A chance to see the infamous uncut chainsaw sequence would've been a welcome addition.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The cut version has never been shown. The Scarface we all know and love is the first version he submitted that got an "X" rating.

Neil

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the version of Scarface on DVD is DePalma's original cut he submitted and got an 'X', which was later reduced to an 'R' after much arguing. No MPAA cuts have ever been officially made. Only TV wimps have made cuts.

Gordy

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nice review, I'll definitely be getting this.

Still in two minds about whether to get just the '83 movie, or the giftset to get the '32 movie (which obviously I've never seen) as well. Anyone able to say more about the '32 movie?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Someone over at dvd talk.coms dvd talk board, has posted even more in depth pictures of the giftset. This time the pics are even more up close, after looking at these particular pics , i can see why the price of this set is high. The giftset packagings inside and outside look like their worth 20 bucks alone !Anyway , for those wondering in that same thread , that person says he watched the 32 version dvd and considering the movie is over 70 years old , save for some minor print damage it looks excellent !:emoji_thumbsup: Also mentions the alternate ending runs 8 minutes , i cant wait !:D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
*I have a question for anyone that has watched disc 2 of the Scarface DVD. Is this VH-1 special titled 'Playa's Guide To Scarface" the same program that's the rap thing on disc 2? I watched this last night and it wasn't actually that bad. DePalma and Pacino were interviewed for it in a few spots among all the rappers. I liked seeing Raekwon and Method Man talk about Scarface because the Wu rules. It airs tomorrow on VH-1 again. I'm trying to find out if this is what will be on the DVD because I think it's respectable content if so.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Not that i have the dvds yet, but i doubt its the same special because according to vh1 listings, its not the same rappers being interviewed.:)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Interesting. Well then VH-1 possibly stole the idea of a show about rappers talking about Scarface and put it out before the DVD hits stores. It's too coincidental.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
Great review, I can't wait to pick this one up! Now, if only Universal would remaster Spielberg's "1941..."

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The new Scarface DVD has probably the worst layer change I've seen since The Patriot. It happens smack dab in the middle of:

Gina's (Mary Elizabeth Mastroantonio) reaction to Tony (Al Pacino) after he bursts into her stall in the men's room, where's she's making out with a guy.

Sequence: Door burst. Initial reaction from Gina. Layer switch. Rest of reaction from Gina.

What a lousy bit of programming.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The 1932 Scarface looks very nice. Universal messed up the packaging, but in a minor way. First it says "1.33:1 - Full Frame" but those words are in a widescreen box. The box also says the disc is a single layer, but it is indeed dual layered. Not bad for a 94 minute movie.

Neil

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The 1932 Scarface looks very nice. Universal messed up the packaging, but in a minor way. First it says "1.33:1 - Full Frame" but those words are in a widescreen box. The box also says the disc is a single layer, but it is indeed dual layered. Not bad for a 94 minute movie.
:emoji_thumbsup: Here's hoping it receives its own individual release.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I too emailed the studio about another release of the DVD after I realized that it was OOP - not to mention $50 for a real one or $20 for a fake. I got the same response "NO plans at this time" - and that was this summer! Regardless, I think this is a must-own.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I can't wait to get this DVD. Considering what a horrid picture the original release had. Randy, buy a Denon 2900. No layer changes are noticeable on this piece.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I've seen it at a store here in manhattan, but it's full price so I'm waiting.
Also, did anyone catch EBERT and ROEPER this weekend? They were talking about the film and behind them on the monitors, (screens...?) they had a shot of Pacino with his rifle from....... HEAT!!!!!!!! With the graphic SCARFACE under it. Classic coming from Ebert's show as he seems to be so anal about film related things. I mean, Pacino in HEAT doesn't even LOOK like he does in SCARFACE....

:) D

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Scarface Anniversary Edition Review (R1)

Does anybody knows why this is the only official review on the net?

Release date 09/30/2003

Can someone tell me of another review (site)?

By the way; great review Jason Perez (from another Cuban Perez)

Thanks in advance.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be interested to know if Mr. Perez ever saw this film in theaters.

I'd be interested to know what internet "reviewer" first coined the term "shadow detail".

I listened to the DD5.1 track and I must say I actually had to check the player because the surrounds are barely active - in fact, I'd say it's quite a dull track. For a great 5.1 remix, wait until you hear Once Upon a Time in the West.

Count me among the people who find Scarface not so good, but it's mesmerizingly not so good.

Special prize to those who can identify the actor who looped the "interrogator" in the first scene. To me, it was unmistakable on the first line - a quite well-known and loved character actor.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The voices are dubbed by DePalma regulars Dennis Franz and Charles Durning.

Neil - who has seen Scarface and The Adventures of Robin Hood in the theater. :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Randy, buy a Denon 2900. No layer changes are noticeable on this piece.
I appreciate the tip. I do have a player among the seven or eight I own that doesn't pause for layer changes. That doesn't change the fact, though, that the layer change on the new Scarface is poorly placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks