What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Scarface: Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Jason Perez

Second Unit
David Glenn,

I never actually owned the previous "Collector's Edition". A buddy of mine brought it over after he bought it, and the video quality of the movie was so dreadful, we never even bothered with the extras. As such, I really cannot say what bonus content is the same. If I knew I was going to have to review this title one day, I would have bit the bullet and watched the bonus materials on the old release anyway.

Universal's press release is kind of vague, but it sounds like the Acting, Creating, and Re-Birth of Scarface featuretes are new, along with the interviews featuring the rappers. I hope that helps!

Regards,

Jason

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I hope we get a reveiw of the original version. Sadly, universal doesn't want me to buy their product since they priced the original at a 60$ msrp.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I never seen Scarface before, but I am looking to pick this up. So I guess I will buying this and putting Lion King on the pre-order block.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It sounds very much like the original 50 minute documentary has simply been cut up into smaller chunks for contractual reasons on the new DVD. In fact, the only new extra feature would appear to be that hip-hop thing (the television version was covered in the old documentary, complete with dialogue comparisons)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I had the original CE a long time ago but unloaded it. I will be buying this new one though.

If memory serves there was a really good hour long documentary on the making of Scarface. Kinda like the Jaws, Bond, new interviews.."look back" kind. It also had a comparison to the TV version, trailers and TV spots and possibly the deleted scenes/outtakes. Not sure about the last one.

I kinda want to rebuy the old one simply for the doc and have both releases.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Region 2 has a single disk Scarface - and its pretty good.

This release sounds very similar - I'd rate the region2 picture quality 3.5/5 too. The audio was a 3/5 as well in my books - clear, punchy but limited in range.
We got a good 50 minute documentary as well.

I think I'll pass on the region 1 and keep my el cheapo region 2 (paid £5 for it).

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Where is the review of the 1932 version ? That is one of the great gangster films much better than the remake but not even a mention !? I suppose most of you just aren't interested ? Universal seem to regard it as an afterthought and it looks like some of you are falling into that trap. The price certainly doesn't help but I expected a review.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd like to see a review of the 1932 version as well. I'm seriously miffed that I can't buy it separately - really, what's the point in that? :angry:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I think as unbelievable as it may seem, i think the reason its not available seperately ,is because universal thinks in their mind , whoever is a fan of the 83 version is a fan of the 32 version automatically, which isnt true. I ordered the gift set, but have never watched the 32 version, but im sure i wont be dissapointed since i like gangster movies from that era.Cant wait for the 83 verion either, havent seen it for almost 10 years.:D

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Derek,

I would have loved to review the 1932 version of Scarface, but I did not get it.

Steve,

I also think it is a shame that it will not be available separately, but hopefully Universal will rectify that down the road. I guess they figured no one would want to buy the much more expensive Collector's Box if they could just buy both films for less coin.

Regards,

Jason

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Fantastic Review!

I'm another in the long list of people who didn't view this on DVD because the transfer would distract from an epic of a film.

Pacino's best? Who knows... but like many Pacino roles of the 70's through the 90's, he took it and ran with it.

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. First post to HTF. Long-time lurker.

I happened to be at a store, which shall remain anonymous, on Sat and happened to see the new Scarface edition on display. Well, I hurriedly bought one. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I rented the old one and I'd seen better picture quality in 30 yr old grade school films. :)

I have quite a few dePalma films on dvd. Be sure to check out Blowout if you've never seen it. Really entertaining, despite the fact John Travolta is in it.

Brad

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Nice!! I actually had the legit Scarface, but I sold it once I knew another copy was comming out. I think I sold it for like $50 or something. I am glad that I can finally pick it up again with a better transfer this time.

Thanx for the excellent reveiw, Jason.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Great Review. This is my all time favorite movie. I watched it so many times now, I still dont get sick of it:D I keeped the orginal release and will be getting the gift set now. Cant have enough scarface :)

Jason Perez

Second Unit
Hello everyone!

A fellow member e-mailed me to inquire as to whether the features on the bonus disc are subtitled. Just in case anyone else was wondering the same thing, I re-checked the bonus disc to make sure that there were no languages/subtitles other than English available.

As I thought, there are no other options. The only audio track is English language, and there are no subtitles available in any language. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if any of you were hoping for subtitles or Spanish/French audio tracks for the bonus features, but I hope this information helps!

Regards,

Jason

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm not sure if this has been answered somewhere in this thread but does the disc have forced trailers like most of the other recent Universal releases?

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
No, no forced trailers, thank heavens! I read about the Babe dvd problem. Great disc, the TV version featurette is hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks