What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Fever Pitch (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

FEVER PITCH

Studio: 20th Century Fox
Film Year: 2005

U.S. Rating: PG-13
Canadian Rating: PG

Film Length: 103 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Aspect Ratio:[*] 2.35:1 enhanced widescreen
Colour/B&W: Colour

Audio:[*] English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround[*] Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround[*] French Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Closed Captioned: Yes

Release Date: September 13, 2005.

Entertainment Rating: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Starring: Drew Barrymore (Lindsey Meeks), Jimmy Fallon (Ben)

Novel by: Nick Hornby
Screenplay by: Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel
Directed by: Bobby Farrelly & Peter Farrelly

A comedy about the game of love.[/i]

I’ve just returned Boston about a week before I reviewed this title and I didn’t realize how crazy Red Sox fans are. I drove by Fenway Park but didn’t think of visiting it, nor did I pick up any Red Sox stuff, but now I wish I would have just because I watched the movie (see what advertising does?) I have to admit I’m not the biggest sports fan. As a matter of fact, I could care less about players and teams, so I’m probably the worst guy who can review this title called Fever Pitch.

This is a Farrelly brothers movie based on the novel by Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy. Jimmy Fallon is perfect as Ben, a rather childish grade nine math teacher who meets a young woman named Lindsey. She’s used her education to be very successful in a company and is workaholic. But her success and career initially makes it difficult to date Ben when he expresses interest in her. The reason: he’s a school teacher, and compared to her highly paid world he’s making peanuts. In fact, this movie really put down the career of a school teacher. I found that odd because here in Ontario, Canada, being a school teacher is considered as the direct opposite to what seems to be the case in the U.S. Anyways, Lindsey decides to date him because he is different from her personality in many aspects as well as all of the other men she’s dated.

But it appears Ben has been in hibernation. When the winter months are over and baseball season emerges he is a totally different person. He’s an overly obsessive Boston Red Sox fan and he’s never missed a game. He’s got Red Sox the jacket, Red Sox the t-shirt, Red Sox the flamethrower (just kidding). The name is on everything he has, and that’s the only thing on his mind, so much so, that Lindsey doesn’t become a first priority anymore.

While at first she tries to adapt to his obsession, she finds it difficult to cope with it during the baseball season. Ben becomes insensitive to her wants and needs and he breaks her heart over baseball. Ben really is one of those guys who I can’t stand: a sport nut that only talks about sports (sorry guys, I’m siding with Lindsey here). It gets annoying for her and it he became really annoying to me too when watching this movie – but that is the point of showing their two different personalities. Both of them will have to come to terms with their differences if they watch their evaporating relationship to last.

The movie becomes repetitive and slow-pitched during some scenes. We tend to see the same thing over and over without much freshness to the scenes (like when Lindsey contemplates dating Ben or some scenes with Ben’s obsession with the Sox). The film also captures the moment when the Red Sox wins the World Series for the first time in 86 years. It’s at the end of the film but it doesn’t capture the excitement of what it should have. It was a good attempt given the limited time and resources they had to capture it on video. But after watching the special feature about it I can’t help to wonder why the filmmakers didn’t bother to think about being prepared for that moment. Even the whole lead-up to that moment didn’t feel real or logical thus leaving the feeling of a quick ending that left more to be desired. I can imagine there were several endings planned for this film depending on how that final game went.

There are some good scenes, mainly the fight scenes between Ben and Lindsey. They aren’t heated discussions, but brief scenes that are almost emotionally grappling because of Barrymore’s good performance. When watching this it made me realise that we all have obsessions; mine for one being home theatre and movies, and sometimes we tend to put these obsessions in front of more important things. Like Ben, sometimes we are just too stupid to see it.

On my Denon DVD-3910, Spanish subtitles came up on two occasions to interpret text on signs that were in the movie. Even though my subtitle function was set in the “off” position, I couldn’t get rid of them. Strangely, Spanish subtitles appear as an option twice when rotating through them while the movie is playing.

VIDEO QUALITY
:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The picture is pleasing to view on this 2.35:1 film. While the picture is a little soft, it is smooth in appearance and doesn’t take on an edgy look. Edge enhancement and halos seem absent as well as compression artefacts resulting in a clean presentation. The brightness of the image is average and black levels seem a little too crushed. This results in poor shadow detail and undefined blacks. The reds in this film stand out quite a bit because it’s the dominating colour in the film because of all of the Red Sox paraphernalia. It never looks over saturated and flesh tones don’t sway red either. As always, Barrymore is much paler looking compared to everyone else in the film. I just wish her make-up artists would tone down the colours on her face because it’s way too contrasting on her skin.

AUDIO QUALITY :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

This is a less than average 5.1 presentation (Dolby Digital only) that seems to be recorded with a minimalist approach. The result: a boring and unexciting soundtrack. The center channel will get the most use during this film and it sounds highly detached from the rest of the soundtrack. The reason for this is because the main left-right channels are serving music most of the time while a majority of the sound effects in the scene are coming from the center. When sound effects do come from the center channel, they sound like they were put there for the sake of putting a sound there. There is no integration with the sounds from the center channel making it a definitive multi-channel mono soundtrack. At least the music has some dynamic rage; it is louder than everything else in the soundtrack and sounds pretty good as far as spatiality. But then, there isn’t anything else to compare it to that is “real” other than the dialogue. Unfortunately, like most movies, dialogue sounds nothing like a voice on a well-recorded music, but instead has that slightly muffled sound and has no sense of space around it. For you LFE lovers out there, there is plenty of it when the music kicks in.

SPECIAL FEATURES :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I’m happy to see that both Peter and Bobby Farrelly have contributed to this DVD by recording a commentary during this film.

There are 13 deleted scenes each of them averaging about a minute and a half or thirty seconds. Some of them appear to be a part of larger scenes that were also unused and aren’t included here. Who knows if the scenes were actually completed and we are presented with what is only available of it? In any case, the scenes add nothing to the film other than length and I can’t even say they are character building; it’s just ‘stuff’ happening. It also shows Barrymore’s character getting into the game a bit more – an opposite feeling based on her character’s viewpoint of the game throughout the film. These scenes are in 2.35:1 widescreen but are not widescreen enhanced. They look like they were from a rough edit of the film put into a computer.

You’ll also find a gag reel here. Not much is funny, but I still find it amusing to watch the actors express themselves when they aren’t exactly saying their lines as we see in the finished product of the film. You can get a good idea of their personality when watching these for 6 minutes.

Two internet featurettes, love triangle and break the curse can be found. They are short of course, and they aren’t too informative. They are just preps for when the film was being released in theatres. What is new is the Making a Scene: Fever Pitch; an eight minute Fox movie channel featurette documenting the shoot in St. Louis when the Red Sox won their first world series in 86 years.

Fox has also included the theatrical trailer in non-anamorphic widescreen. Why do they keep doing this?? Included them widescreen enhanced!!

IN THE END…

This is an OK movie and this DVD release accentuates it. The extras are OK, the sound is OK, and even the video is just OK. OK? You got it? Not much to be excited about unless you are a Red Sox fan and you want to add this to your obsessive collection of stuff. There is one positive about this movie: it will serve as a bearable romantic comedy for the guys who can get away with convincing their girlfriend/wife that this movie is a chick-flick (it can pass as one). At least sports are involved!

Michael Osadciw

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There is a Red Sox Special Edition coming tommorrow as well that extends the ending.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought it was a nice movie.

i didnt like the look of the film.
looked very soft.
i didnt like the look of the colors as they looked pastel.

the thing just looked to blurry as does a good % of dvds these days.

there was 2 things i didnt like about the movie.

i thought that whole celebration AFter the big comeback win was preposterous.
i expected it to be a dream sequence.
and the part with someone running across the field.
impossible that no one wooould catch that person.
and it would never be shown on tv.

no live sports event ever shows the people running on the field anymore.

artistic license i suppose.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
There is another version of this DVD called the Curse Reversed Edition (Boston Red Sox Collectors Edition). It contains athe following:

DVD Features:
Available subtitles: English, Spanish
Available Audio Tracks: English
Commentary by Peter and Bobby Farrelly
Seamlessly branched extended Red Sox ending
"Break the Curse" featurette
13 deleted scenes
Gag reel
"Love Triangle" featurette
Making of scene: "Fever Pitch"
Theatrical trailer
Inside Look: In Her Shoes

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So the question is, why does the "Collectors' Edition" have 2 versions of the movie while the regular version doesn't, but they're both the same price?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jesse: It looks like its going to be the same price in some stores...but the "Curse Reversed" edition is going to cost more in other stores.

This will be a good title to comparison shop...especially for those of us who are Red Sox fans and want those few extra minutes of footage! :D

Here's what I have in this week's RoundUp:

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostco**Fever Pitch$16.98$16.99$14.99$16.99$18.99Fever Pitch: Red Sox Curse Reversed Edition$16.98$16.99$22.99--

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like a "special" edition would normally cost more. But I ain't complainin'...as long as I can find a Red Sox edition somewhere here in upstate NY!

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
The Original Ending Plays on the Red Sox edition if you click on 'Play Movie'. To play the movie (or the ending only), you have to go into the special features menu. It's not that big a change.

One thing that REALLY irks me is the FORCED anti-downloading/pirating bit when you put the disc in, followed by the forced trailers.

Oh, I LOVE what Ben is watching in scene 20.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I watched the movie over the weekend and wanted to echo what was said about the picture quality being quite soft. I did find the movie quite endearing as it was meant to be, but some of the scenes/dialogue was written so badly, I was surprised to see that it was a Farrelly brothers movie at the end of the movie.

The scene with Drew Barrymore letting go of the rockwall climbing rope was telegraphed so far in advance that only clever writing and directing could save it, instead the punchline was insipid, not even accounting for the fact that the rope is only held to remove slack, not to hold up the climber. There were many scenes like this that didn't work because of lazy writing.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Did you have any luck finding the Curse is Reversed edition? None at Wal Mart or Costco, got mine at Best Buy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. Had to go to BB, too! None at W-M or Target.

In fact, when I called my local BB on release day, they assured me they had severa of the Red Sox version. But, when I got there, they were lucky to have a total of 10 between what was left on their "new release table", on the dedicated rack, and what was in the comedy section. And, most of 'em had a rip in the cardboard sleeve where the UPC window is punched out. :thumbsdown: I plan on re-locating the disc into a slim case anyway...but that's just sloppy handling on BB's part.

I haven't watched it yet...but i'll be sure to look out for this! Whatever it may be!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Putting slipcovers OUTSIDE the shrinkwrap has got to STOP! Is the downloading trailer really forced? I've got a couple discs that have it but you can chapter-skip past it- if they're going to force it then that's going to encourage people to illegally copy discs instead of buying them! (Many illegal disc-copying programs remove the control lockouts on the copy- some may consider this an incentive to use them.)

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Skip button didn't work on the anti-pirating trailer...and fast forward made the disc lock up at the end of it. Had to turn off the player and restart (granted, it's an ancient Fisher machine, so YMMV.)

I agree that the cardboard sleeve outside the plastic was stupid, and it's there on all four versions of the movie. My BB did have quite a few available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks