What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Back To The Future Trilogy" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ron, let us know if you get around to listening to the commentaries and fact tracks and if they say anything about the recasting of the Jennifer character.
"Q: Why wasn't Claudia Wells in the sequels as "Jennifer Parker"?
A: Claudia had some personal things to tend to at that time and was not available to work. So we recast the part, and hired Elisabeth Shue to take over the role."
http://www.bttf.com/film_faq.htm

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Ron as always this is a great review as I have already seen the 3 dvds. Now I will get rid of my r2 as go for R1
:emoji_thumbsup:

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, thanks for putting such an effort into this review. It is much appreciated. The other thread posted some concerns about the framing in other regions I was hoping you could put to rest for us all. These screen caps show too much 'head room' and cut off the bottom. Could you maybe post these same screenshots from the R1 release to confirm this has been fixed?

Mariano

Agent
Ron :

sorry to bother you.
Is it totally 100% confirmed that all 3 movies have Spanish subtitles ?

And the extras have spanish or english subtitles ?

Thanks

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
This set really does appear to be the mutt's nuts, regardless of a few over-cropped shots. Glad I held off of buying the R4, even if it was dirt cheap. Fingers crossed this sucker will ship early...:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This review took me all of 1/2 hour to load in but it was worth it and it looks like the set will be worth it too.

Thanks

John Simon

Second Unit
Terry,

Those screencaps were reposted from a thread on DVDTalk, and they were said to be from the R1 version. Hope that answers your question.

John Simon

Second Unit
Here's an interesting bit of news: I just read on BTTF.com that a 60-second trailer for the DVD set will be attached to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's starting to look like this may be one of the most widely-advertised DVDs ever. And it provides yet another reason to see The Two Towers! :D

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Here's an interesting bit of news: I just read on BTTF.com that a 60-second trailer for the DVD set will be attached to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's starting to look like this may be one of the most widely-advertised DVDs ever. And it provides yet another reason to see The Two Towers!
I find this very unlikely since Lord of the Rings is being put out by New Line and Back to the Future is Universal. Anything is possible though. It would be cool.

I will be attending an advance screening of The Two Towers and will confirm if it is attached. My theater is slated for a midnight showing of The Two Towers Thursday night so we should get our print early. I can again confirm if it is attached.

I am really looking forward to Back to the Future on DVD. I was 12 when the first one was released in theaters. The prime targeting age for this movie. I of coarse loved the other 2 as well.

One thing I am interested in knowing is if any of the Back to the Future movies were released in 70mm? Back in 1985 I remember seeing it and the picture was huge and the sound was stunning. It was popular in the 80's for movies to be released in 70mm so they can take advantage of the 6-track magnetic sound even if they were not filmed in 70mm. Perhaps they used these masters for the 5.1 Dolby Digital track?

Chris

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Here's an interesting bit of news: I just read on BTTF.com that a 60-second trailer for the DVD set will be attached to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's starting to look like this may be one of the most widely-advertised DVDs ever. And it provides yet another reason to see The Two Towers!
I find this very unlikely since Lord of the Rings is being put out by New Line and Back to the Future is Universal. Anything is possible though. It would be cool.

I will be attending an advance screening of The Two Towers and will confirm if it is attached. My theater is slated for a midnight showing of The Two Towers Thursday night so we should get our print early. I can again confirm if it is attached.

I am really looking forward to Back to the Future on DVD. I was 12 when the first one was released in theaters. The prime targeting age for this movie. I of coarse loved the other 2 as well.

One thing I am interested in knowing is if any of the Back to the Future movies were released in 70mm? Back in 1985 I remember seeing it and the picture was huge and the sound was stunning. It was popular in the 80's for movies to be released in 70mm so they can take advantage of the 6-track magnetic sound even if they were not filmed in 70mm. Perhaps they used these masters for the 5.1 Dolby Digital track?

Chris

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Oops...the forum was not behaving correctly and it got double posted. Editor please remove one of them.

Sorry
Chris

JordanW

Grip
Great review Ron! I have never read such an in-depth DVD review online. I will definately be picking up a copy on the 17th. Thanks!

Jordan

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As far as the subtitles are concerned....

Without putting these discs back in my player
to check, I am almost positive there is Spanish
subtitles available on the supplements as that
option came up while I was fooling around with
the extras.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my question on the over-cropping was not answered by any of the above posts. I was of the understanding that those screenshots were all from dvd's in other regions and not the region 1 release which is why I posted the question to Ron who is still the only one to post a review of this set.
If this release is over-cropped as indicated above it would be a MISTAKE and Universal would need to recall the existing discs or stop and fix them before they're released. Ron, if you get a chance, please check those two moments in the film as seen in the caps above. Thanks.:)

Seth_S

Second Unit
TerryW,

I doubt Universal will do any kind of recall. They'll probably just mail a corrected disk to anyone who asks, counting on the fact that the mainstream won't notice the overcropping.

Florian B

Agent
Seth_S,
I doubt they'll even do that. After all, there are oh so many dvds where full movies are cropped, framed really bad, whatever. They better start to take care of those.
In the end, we are talking about 2 short scenes in one movie. You'll also have to remember, there IS no technical defect (at least not concerning the framing), it's just that many people THINK it should be framed differently. So, a recall, even in limited numbers is veeeeeery unlikely.
btw: Wonderful review, Ron.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks